• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

If the cold pushes start to keep deflecting away from the EC as we get later in January, we may really be talking PTSD.    NAO's, MJO's, we can talk them all up but we need real cold in NY and South Canada prior to moisture entering the area. 

@Itstrainingtime  @sauss06 and others, congrats to the Steel.   Could argue they are playing the best NFL football in PA right now. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I would take my chances with this in mid January.  

A low tracking from the Gulf coast to off of the NC coast should deliver a very good front end snow to mix dependent on the exact final track.

IMG_4221.png

IMG_4222.png

Mid to Late Jan still looks loaded on the GFS but I really want to see something like this snip become reality for several weeks.  Cold conveyer that constantly feeds.    Two clippers on the MR and LR GFS.   We should not be mixing with that low track in Jan. 

Capture.JPG

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

If the cold pushes start to keep deflecting away from the EC as we get later in January, we may really be talking PTSD.    NAO's, MJO's, we can talk them all up but we need real cold in NY and South Canada prior to moisture entering the area. 

@Itstrainingtime  @sauss06 and others, congrats to the Steel.   Could argue they are playing the best NFL football in PA right now. 

Team seems to be having fun and playing with energy behind Rudolph. Probably a one and out but playing a helluva lot better than the other PA team right now.

• Like 1

A nice calm before the storm type of day today. Sunny with highs near 40 degrees. Heavy Rain tomorrow from late morning through Tuesday night with around 1.5" to 2.5" of rain possible. Winds will gust as high as 40 mph by tomorrow night.
Records for today: High 67 (1998) / Low -5 (1981) / Rain 1.81" (1978) / Snow 6.1" (1996)
image.png.d8a570be1ae230b8e58f679569e054cd.png

Hope yall enjoyed the weekend snow.  Left cabin w/ about 4-5" on top and snowing mid morning yesterday.  Nice to see winter back (albeit briefly).

Elysburg to 901 exit of 81 appeared to be the winners (eyeballing mind you).  Saw some sled tracks in fields on way home (and going into office this am).  

I was a touch heavy on Lanco accums but saw enough pics on soc media to know that it did snow.  I dont really care if I was off for MYB but sounds like it did pretty well in the Altoona/Poc axis.  Good for them.  

Enjoy the gullywasher this week and hopefully we'll be back in the game soon as tellies dont look great beyond next couple weeks.

• Like 4

Wind headlines up. 

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service State College PA 408 AM EST Mon Jan 8 2024 PAZ006-037-041-042-046-051>053-057>059-065-066-082115- /O.NEW.KCTP.WI.Y.0001.240109T1700Z-240110T0700Z/ Potter-Tioga-Northern Lycoming-Sullivan-Southern Lycoming-Montour- Northumberland-Columbia-Dauphin-Schuylkill-Lebanon-York-Lancaster- Including the cities of Coudersport, Mansfield, Wellsboro, Trout Run, Laporte, Williamsport, Danville, Sunbury, Shamokin, Bloomsburg, Berwick, Harrisburg, Hershey, Pottsville, Lebanon, York, and Lancaster 408 AM EST Mon Jan 8 2024

...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON TUESDAY TO 2 AM EST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Southeast winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph expected. * WHERE...Portions of central Pennsylvania. * WHEN...From noon Tuesday to 2 AM EST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and a few power outages may result.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The wind will pick up as snow and mixed precipitation move in from the south. It will continue as the mixed precipitation transitions to all rain.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects. For high wind safety information, visit weather.gov/wind. The latest forecast information can be found on the NWS State College Facebook page and Twitter @NWSStateCollege, or on the web at weather.gov/ctp. && $$

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Fyi, I hate strong winds no matter the season. Stay safe.

I have an old and huge pin oak that has lots of widowmakers hangin on it.  Was told not to trim this tree as pin oaks are sensitive.  Sounds like mo nature may do some pruning for me (right over my driveway of course, so may park cars out on street for this one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Hope yall enjoyed the weekend snow.  Left cabin w/ about 4-5" on top and snowing mid morning yesterday.  Nice to see winter back (albeit briefly).

Elysburg to 901 exit of 81 appeared to be the winners (eyeballing mind you).  Saw some sled tracks in fields on way home (and going into office this am).  

I was a touch heavy on Lanco accums but saw enough pics on soc media to know that it did snow.  I dont really care if I was off for MYB but sounds like it did pretty well in the Altoona/Poc axis.  Good for them.  

Enjoy the gullywasher this week and hopefully we'll be back in the game soon as tellies dont look great beyond next couple weeks.

I think maybe elevation played into it somewhat? I live right in Elysburg and we never had more than 2 inches on the ground before changing to rain. But I think the top of Natalie had 5. My parents in Danville also had 5. Seems Elysburg proper is always warmer?

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This is something that you might see in the fall in advance of a tropical system as far as amounts in our area are concerned:

p168i.gif?1704724335

Lake at Codorus may finally getting to near normal levels, but it has a long way to go the last time I looked.

• Like 1