joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

2 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

18z Euro Control run is sweet as well!

IMG_4086.png

I am right on the southern edge to the wsw of the 7.8" total but something tells me I won't be getting the same amount of snow as that 7.8" snow amount location in northern NJ. Lol

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

I don't hate them but do not think much of their use for snow maps at any range much less 18 hours before the event starts. 

They are most useful for pattern recognition and are beneficial to get a good handle a week or 2 out instead of watching wild swings on Op runs.

I like to see ensemble snow maps to track long range pattern potential.

In the short term, when an ensemble locks in like EPS has over the last 24 hours, it usually is on the right track with the probable outcome.

Good evening everyone!  New to this site as I used to hang out a Wxdisco for many years until this year.

Anybody know why Mt. Holly hasn't issued any watches yet (at least a winter weather advisory if not a winter storm watch)?  I know a lot needs to be ironed out yet as the models are still differing with thermal temps and what not, but I would have thought they would have at least issued a winter weather advisory.  No big deal, just curious.

The 0z HRRR is picking up on major mixing across the southern tier counties very early in the storm. Would basically be a non-event for most of Lancaster County. It’s near the end of its range sooooo. But still a bit worrisome, as I’ve seen it sniff out thermal issues at range a number of times before. Hopefully wrong but food for thought. Aye. 

• Weenie 1

FIRST CALL MAP 

While the new technology and new weather models which have come out over the last 20 years are demonstrably better than what we saw back in the 1970s 1980s and 1990s… there is something to be said for adhering to the basic rules that have been around for 60-70 years when it comes to East Coast winter storms.

And one of those basic rules is that if you have a coastal storm( known as a MILLER A East Coast winter storm) that comes up from the southern States, you HAVE to have a source of either Arctic or semi-Arctic air to the north that replenishes the cold air along the coastal plain. Otherwise the track of the LOW along or just off the coast will send relatively mild Ocean Air into the coastal plain and change the snow /sleet/ freezing rather quickly to all rain.  

That cold air source HAS to be 

1) strong area of HIGH pressure that consists of either Arctic or semi-arctic air and

2) that HIGH has to be located in a certain position-- in the central / eastern Great Lakes and/ or into eastern Ontario and / or far northern New England and / or southern Quebec Canada.

With respect to Saturday that cold HIGH pressure area simply does not exist. So the atmosphere that initially is cold enough to support winter precipitation in portions of the Northern Middle Atlantic and the interior portions of Maryland and Virginia does not last. And that is exactly what the short-range models are showing here on midday Thursday January 4th.

This is why all the data here this morning and at midday have trended warmer in the lower portions of the Middle Atlantic region. you'll see that the snow amounts are reduced in the Shenandoah Valley and is a lot more ICE on these maps. I have moved the one inch snow line north of DC and just touching Baltimore.

The start times are unchanged but I have expanded the ICE area. Because the mid levels of the atmosphere are warmer the ice concern is a bit more serious in the southern half of the Shenandoah Valley and the Virginia Piedmont.

The 6-inch Snow Line is now barely touching the far Northwest tip of Virginia -mostly restricted to the Eastern panhandle of West Virginia and Western Maryland. North of NYC as well as NW NJ into the Poconos the Catskills and southern New England this looks like a very impressive snowstorm.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

FIRST CALL MAP 

While the new technology and new weather models which have come out over the last 20 years are demonstrably better than what we saw back in the 1970s 1980s and 1990s… there is something to be said for adhering to the basic rules that have been around for 60-70 years when it comes to East Coast winter storms.

And one of those basic rules is that if you have a coastal storm( known as a MILLER A East Coast winter storm) that comes up from the southern States, you HAVE to have a source of either Arctic or semi-Arctic air to the north that replenishes the cold air along the coastal plain. Otherwise the track of the LOW along or just off the coast will send relatively mild Ocean Air into the coastal plain and change the snow /sleet/ freezing rather quickly to all rain.  

That cold air source HAS to be 

1) strong area of HIGH pressure that consists of either Arctic or semi-arctic air and

2) that HIGH has to be located in a certain position-- in the central / eastern Great Lakes and/ or into eastern Ontario and / or far northern New England and / or southern Quebec Canada.

With respect to Saturday that cold HIGH pressure area simply does not exist. So the atmosphere that initially is cold enough to support winter precipitation in portions of the Northern Middle Atlantic and the interior portions of Maryland and Virginia does not last. And that is exactly what the short-range models are showing here on midday Thursday January 4th.

This is why all the data here this morning and at midday have trended warmer in the lower portions of the Middle Atlantic region. you'll see that the snow amounts are reduced in the Shenandoah Valley and is a lot more ICE on these maps. I have moved the one inch snow line north of DC and just touching Baltimore.

The start times are unchanged but I have expanded the ICE area. Because the mid levels of the atmosphere are warmer the ice concern is a bit more serious in the southern half of the Shenandoah Valley and the Virginia Piedmont.

The 6-inch Snow Line is now barely touching the far Northwest tip of Virginia -mostly restricted to the Eastern panhandle of West Virginia and Western Maryland. North of NYC as well as NW NJ into the Poconos the Catskills and southern New England this looks like a very impressive snowstorm.

I’m assuming this is DT ?

Good thing we live in PA… I’ll take my 6 inches of snow on his map.

12 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

I just think it’s boiling down to the antecedent airmass in place and the storm evolution itself. We’re set up fairly decently for this event as far as features in place but the antecedent cold isn’t very impressive. The high is there but it doesn’t seem like it’s being progged to be very efficient with drawing the cold air associated with the high into the system much at all until the storm gets going more off the coast under New England when it’s past us.

This is where I think the earlier miller B solutions would have been better for us. A more developed primary trying to come up and transferring under us would have established the northeasterly flow to draw more cold air from the high. This has become pretty much a straight miller A that’s winding up later and making the event here pretty much an quicker hitting 8-10hr one for the best precip… and it’s not pulling in more cold during the event in time to push the rain/snow line in our region. Surface low track is going to be key and a little bit of difference is going to go a long way either direction in that LSV southern tier. 

This may be banter, so I apologize in advance if I'm breaking rules.  I live in DC and have a freshman at PSU.  We are driving from DC to State College Sunday, leaving about 10:30.  I have no experience with Central PA weather.  On a good days it takes about 4 hours to get to State College (after stopping in Breezewood for a break).  Even on good days the fog at higher elevations on 70 is terrifying.  Everything I have seen forecasted for State College is 4-8 inches.  What is your formats for State College?

Also, do you think the roads will be ok Sunday?

Thank you so much for your help.  There are thousands of kids driving back to PSU this weekend.   Any advice is welcome!