Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 General Discussion

michsnowfreak

23 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Considering we got almost a foot of snow in less than 12 hrs in mid November not too long ago, but I need to respect that nickle and diming gets some excited. I just hope we can get a decent snow in early December. It seems more often than not, December is boring. These last 3 days of foggy cold rain makes me question why anyone would live here this time of year lol.

I like all snow. Nickel and dime or big storms. But you read too much into that post. All I said to Rogue was "We had that heavy frontal snow thanks to the lake Nov 19th, kinda similar to Nov 27th this year. The lakes definitely help out when synoptic doesn't".

38 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Considering we got almost a foot of snow in less than 12 hrs in mid November not too long ago, but I need to respect that nickle and diming gets some excited. I just hope we can get a decent snow in early December. It seems more often than not, December is boring. These last 3 days of foggy cold rain makes me question why anyone would live here this time of year lol.

In all honesty my point of memery was just heavy snow rates vs heavy snow totals: I thought we were talking more about the former than the latter lol. Nickel and dimeing gets me hyped when there's potential for some stacking or if it's actually setting the mood for the holidays/birthdays/in general if I'm feeling it. Other than that it's not crazy to me.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

In all honesty my point of memery was just heavy snow rates vs heavy snow totals: I thought we were talking more about the former than the latter lol. Nickel and dimeing gets me hyped when there's potential for some stacking or if it's actually setting the mood for the holidays/birthdays/in general if I'm feeling it. Other than that it's not crazy to me.

It's really a subjective conversation. Rogue mentioned that the first real snow threat last winter wasn't til Dec 23rd. And I brought up the Arctic front snow band from Nov 19. The word "heavy" was I guess the key word for everyone. I meant heavy in terms of visib at DTW going below a quarter mile, not that 1.7" is a ton of snow lol. But my point was that the lakes often "help us" in MI when synoptic is zzzz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frog Town said:

Let me ask you all this-  Would you rather have a cold and snowy first half of December to be taken by a Grinch Storm the week of Christmas, or the opposite?  

To answer my own question,  I'd take the latter.  Hoping the latter is the case.  

Easy one ... Latter.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's really a subjective conversation. Rogue mentioned that the first real snow threat last winter wasn't til Dec 23rd. And I brought up the Arctic front snow band from Nov 19. The word "heavy" was I guess the key word for everyone. I meant heavy in terms of visib at DTW going below a quarter mile, not that 1.7" is a ton of snow lol. But my point was that the lakes often "help us" in MI when synoptic is zzzz.

Yeah, that's what I assumed you meant too. Regardless of quantity, that amount of snow accounting for initial melt has to mean that it was coming down pretty hard for a time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

I don't mind cloudy rainy weather.  I will admit I really don't care for several days in a row of just dry and solidly cloudy with 30s & 40s but if is stormy like it has been the past few day then it doesn't bother me.  

17 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Actually steve's criteria is all about rates, and that's what I was referring to on Nov 19, 2022. Obviously less than two inches of snow is not a heavy amount of snowfall but the fact that it came in in a blinding band is what I was referring to.

20231202_221018.jpg

Haha, yep. Really, it ripped but it was after dark, I barely saw it twice out my window and here all 0.9" fell in about 30 minutes. By the time I realized it was "happening" it pretty much was just enough time to make that post and it was over. Then I really got the bigger shaft with this year's version. But, I will acknowledge that not ALL has been bad since moving here. I give 3-3-23 very high marks. Very hard-hitting and impressive storm with some ++SN.

832821280_23-03-0322zSPCMCD.png.d1c289a5e84ae6d13a1419c1c1695f14.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Friday has an excellent shot at MKE hitting 60 -- sun, favorable 850 temps, SW winds, great mixing and zero snow cover.

That would be pretty incredible, as its only happened one time on record dating back to the early 1870s in the Milwaukee area record. In fact, after December 8, there are only 12 days later in the month where it has reached 60 or better [many of them right at the 60F mark].

Current numbers to beat for Friday, December 8th:

image.png.e5a9e57c682f1893998655bf849d2267.png

9 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Friday has an excellent shot at MKE hitting 60 -- sun, favorable 850 temps, SW winds, great mixing and zero snow cover.

What are you seeing for the low temperature that day?

Here are the record warmest minima:

image.png.4d0116027550b865a984a20c02846b07.png

Currently, the NWS point-click forecast centered on MKE Airport has 54F/42F for the high and low, which would be the 4th warmest high and 2nd warmest low. Overall, the mean looks like it would be 2nd highest on record behind only 1946.

image.png.ea39cb1e4cb0064121c66cc3eaf18bee.png

9 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

What are you seeing for the low temperature that day?

Here are the record warmest minima:

image.png.4d0116027550b865a984a20c02846b07.png

Currently, the NWS point-click forecast centered on MKE Airport has 54F/42F for the high and low, which would be the 4th warmest high and 2nd warmest low. Overall, the mean looks like it would be 2nd highest on record behind only 1946.

image.png.ea39cb1e4cb0064121c66cc3eaf18bee.png

I think we start Friday morning around 45 or so.  Winds look to keep up Thursday night out of the SSW, which will prevent temperatures from falling too far.

• Weenie 1

On 11/30/2023 at 2:33 PM, Brian D said:

The 10 days before Christmas look cold with plenty of LES, and C/S Lakes storm potential. I think the odds for a white Christmas look better for many areas in our southern areas. Was looking a little closer at my modelling method. I have said the 2nd half of Dec looks seasonable to colder, and am sticking to it. 1st half has the opposite feel, and looks to be on track, as mentioned before.

Enjoy the pleasant weather, because.... :) 

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

DTX (summary = gonna stack some more tenths)

Shortwave tracking through the Dakotas this afternoon and slipping
into central Indiana by 12z Tuesday. Question is will this system
still be strong enough and far enough north to support precipitation
slipping north across the southern Michigan border. Based on the
bulk of the hires solutions, and seeing 850-700 MB omega/forcing,
the answers appears to be yes for areas along and south of I-94,
with less confidence as one heads north. Mean temperature in the 850-
700 MB layer looks to be -10 C. 12z NAM still maintains a closed
surface low/low level circulation through 18z Tuesday, which should
be good enough with 925 MB temps of -2 to -3 C. Any layer above
freezing is right at or just above the surface, so snow is expected
to accumulate, especially after we drop into the upper 20s/near 30
degrees tonight. Accumulation around half an inch along and south of
I-94 appears likely, and will then taper off pops quickly as one
heads north.

4 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Surprise in the making?? At least you get the prime darks hours. Like everything so far, midday event on tap over here. 

Radar shows mixing moving in from the west out near the QC, so may see it mix with rain here in a little while.  Quickly dusted up the ground already though.

• Like 1