Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2023/24 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

35 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Nothing is more festive than worms on Christmas.  Here's a snippet from DVN's AFD today.

Looking at Christmas, there seems a higher risk of smelling
worms outside than shoveling snow around here this year with
moist air and highs in the upper 40s to lower 50s, and lows
above freezing.

Would be surprised if temps only maxed out in the upper 40s to lower 50s on Christmas Day across the Quad Cities based on latest model trends, but we’ll see.

13 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Nothing is more festive than worms on Christmas.  Here's a snippet from DVN's AFD today.

Looking at Christmas, there seems a higher risk of smelling
worms outside than shoveling snow around here this year with
moist air and highs in the upper 40s to lower 50s, and lows
above freezing.

perfect

Selective breeding? Send me one, I’ll plant it in my in-laws backyard, they are about a mile north of the 45th parallel. 

They are in 4 inch pots and I will only be bringing into greenhouse on nights below 5-10 or 96 consecutive hours below freezing. And I’m gonna see if any make it.

But yes selective breeding to weed out the weak and see if there’s any strength in numbers.
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Dude! I'm sure you're a good guy but this is how I picture you......Annoying the piss out of everyone. 

The Polar Express but only Yellow Shirt Kid scenes

For sure. Never adding any actual substance or weather discussion, just trolling away & spouting nonsense since he lives in a 4 seasons humid continental climate rather than the tropical one he never will. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure how long you've lived in Chicago, however, you don't need unseasonable cold in midwinter to get snow. Threading the needle is more for atrocious pattern's like the one we are in now. 

Haven’t been here too long. Certainly seems like pattern persistence is the name of the game thus far.

6 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

How’s the snow and cold coming this year? Asking for a friend.

I don't want to get into a climate debate here, but their are some that believe a warming climate may actually lead to more palm crushing snows. Ironically, your Milwaukee winter last year someone speaks to this as you had nearly 30 inches of snow most of it of the heavy wet variety from January 26 on including a frond crusher in mid-late march.I also note in your posts you rarely reference what is  going on elsewhere.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/12/04/europe-snow-cold-munich-moscow-record/

An article from the WP. Some might call this "shot with his own gun"

And to keep this thread relevant. I do believe there are some changes a foot that could lead to a colder/snowier period and put "jack" back in his box for a bit.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

How’s the snow and cold coming this year? Asking for a friend.

El Nino so mild Dec expected.  I just got 4.5" of snow with 3" still on the ground.  Expected to melt over the next couple days.  Sitting a bit above 10" so far this winter which is a little below average.  Mild Christmas expected which is not a surprise with El Nino.  So winter is doing what I expected plus proceeding as forecasted by many long range forecasters several months ago.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Lightning said:

El Nino so mild Dec expected.  I just got 4.5" of snow with 3" still on the ground.  Expected to melt over the next couple days.  Sitting a bit above 10" so far this winter which is a little below average.  Mild Christmas expected which is not a surprise with El Nino.  So winter is doing what I expected plus proceeding as forecasted by many long range forecasters several months ago.  

I don't think anyone had forecasted this month finishing with near +15 departures for any region, yet that appears likely to be the case for the far northern tier of the CONUS. Also, Christmas this year looks to feature temps running 20 degrees or more above average for a large section of the country that happens to include much of this subforum, so "mild" is a bit of an understatement.

23 minutes ago, rainsucks said:

I don't think anyone had forecasted this month finishing with near +15 departures for any region, yet that appears likely to be the case for the far northern tier of the CONUS. Also, Christmas this year looks to feature temps running 20 degrees or more above average for a large section of the country that happens to include much of this subforum, so "mild" is a bit of an understatement.

Yep this is a full blown torch that no one saw coming to this extend.  Remember Brian said it would be cold later this month.  Only the beginning would be mild.

• Haha 1