• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023 Mid/Long Term Pattern Discussion: Let it Snow!

John1122

I thought NC did pretty well.  They had to close some place on the  Blue Ridge Parkway(?) to sledding or it could be SNP.

A little OT but they closed it to sledding because of some stuff that happened last year. People (read: idiots) parking in the road and what not.

We did OK in that event but definitely less than expected.
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

A little OT but they closed it to sledding because of some stuff that happened last year. People (read: idiots) parking in the road and what not.

We did OK in that event but definitely less than expected.

Sorry, those comments should have been two paragraphs on my part - meaning it snowed enough for sledding, and then they also towed the people who showed up.  

• Like 2

MRX AM disco...

Between 18z-21z Monday, model soundings support the snow levels dropping to below 2,000 either by outright temperature profiles or via wet bulb zero heights. Further cooling occurs into the evening and overnight hours as well. Time height and cross section analysis shows that deep upward omega extends well above the dendritic growth zone during the afternoon and evening hours, with the low level saturated layer extending to about -20C during that same time period as well. This will support decent snowfall rates during the afternoon and evening hours on Monday, for elevations above roughly 2,000 ft MSL. Both upper forcing and saturation through the DGZ begin to wane after 00z Tue. Offsetting that will be persistent northwest H85 flow along with increasing snow ratios as the thermal profiles continue to cool, and keeping snow showers going in the higher terrain into Tue morning. But by far, the most favorable period for heavier snowfall rates will be Mon afternoon into the early evening hours. Do have some light accumulations in the TN valley Mon and Mon night, as well as in the northern Cumberland plateau. Generally speaking, expect less than an inch of snow in those areas, 1-3" in the higher terrain of southwest Virginia, and perhaps 3-5" possible in the east TN mountains. Highest snowfall totals look like they may be in the mountains from Greene county northward to eastern Washington. This looks to be where the strongest forcing will be along with the longest duration of favorable temperature and moisture profiles. No plans for any headlines just yet as even this morning`s forecast is notably different than yesterday morning. But confidence in some low elevation snowfall is increasing. By shortly after daybreak Tuesday, showers wind down completely. Dry conditions then round out the week. We`ll be cool on Tue and Tue night, but temps moderate thereafter.

• Like 1

6z NAM was not overly impressive at 12k resolution, but the finer resolution looked more realistic.  The 6z RGEM looked better than it did at 0z.  I do think higher elevations could do well relative to the system.  One thing to note during Nino years is that systems can sometimes over perform.  NW flow event people, this is a setup to keep an eye on.   Short range models could be chasing a rabbit at this range, but MRX mentioning it is interesting.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

RGEM and 12k NAM at 12z both look great for the typical NW areas. 24+ hrs of nw snow. 

3km has a dry bias long range I've noticed. Wouldn't put stock into it for another 36hrs

Good short range run at 12z for you all for sure.  A dusting IMBY would be a bonus.  I think for the NW facing foothills and mountain communities....streamer city.

• Like 2

Well the soaking rains predicted earlier are all but a whimper now for this area.  Another cold shot then right back to the comfortable 55-60 temps.  If it’s not going to snow then I will take winter temps like that.  We are approaching the coldest part of winter.  I consider January thru mid February the window.  After that around here the chances are higher for ice & cold rains.  I am doubting winter really happens.  Weather has changed for the whole world. 

5 hours ago, fountainguy97 said:

RGEM and 12k NAM at 12z both look great for the typical NW areas. 24+ hrs of nw snow. 

3km has a dry bias long range I've noticed. Wouldn't put stock into it for another 36hrs

Right on about the 3k. It needs some adjustment irt that. It seems they overcompensated decreasing qpf output due to the regular Nam over forecasting amounts. Question is, why does that obviously show on the 3k but, not the 12 k ?.. Should on both. 

MRX afternoon disco...

By Sunday night, the Miller A low will be working its way up the
coast of the Carolinas. On the backside, lingering low level
moisture and northwest flow will bring light rain Sunday night
through Monday morning. The highest elevations mainly above 3500
feet will see a changeover to light snow Sunday night as temps drop.
Lower elevations will stay warm enough to keep rain as the precip
type. Monday morning, any lingering precip will be light as the
Miller A low moves well away from the region. By Monday afternoon, a
trough digging into the Ohio Valley will enhance POPs, mainly north
of I-40. As temps drop late Monday afternoon, a changeover to snow
is likely from the Central Tennessee Valley, Upper Plateau counties,
NE Tennessee and SW Virginia. Monday evening, strong northwest flow
will move into the region behind the trough, enhancing snowfall for
the higher elevations. Late Monday night snow will taper off as the
850 mb flow weakens.

Snow totals have not changed since the last package. Light snow
accumulations below half an inch will be possible for the lower
elevations of NE Tennessee and SW Virginia, East Tennessee mountain
foothills and Upper Cumberland Plateau counties. 1 to 3 inches
likely for the higher elevations in SW Virginia. 3 to 5 inches
possible in the higher elevations of the East Tennessee mountains.
The best terrain forcing will be in the NE Tennessee mountains where
850 mb winds are strongest (up to 40 knots), Monday late afternoon
and evening.

• Like 1

Long range ensembles look pretty decent regarding snows for eastern NA, especially just to either side of the Apps.  That pattern begins about Dec 28, and is moving up in time.  Transition should be Christmas week.   This storm should break things up.  One more ridge rolls though and then maybe 7-10 days of seasonal temps or slightly BN.

• Like 1

Well the soaking rains predicted earlier are all but a whimper now for this area.  Another cold shot then right back to the comfortable 55-60 temps.  If it’s not going to snow then I will take winter temps like that.  We are approaching the coldest part of winter.  I consider January thru mid February the window.  After that around here the chances are higher for ice & cold rains.  I am doubting winter really happens.  Weather has changed for the whole world. 

I’m just glad it’s not emotionally effecting you.

• Haha 2

Wow.  The 12z EPS is now depicting a fairly decent winter wx patter for the last five days of its run  which is the last four days of December and NYD.  Here is the last 5 day 500 map and the very last day of that run.  That will work.  We are not looking at Weeklies now.  Oddly, this is what the original weeklies sort of had.  Textbook Nino BN heights over the SE.  Maybe it is a bit overdone, but we are now entering the timeframe when the EPS is respectable - meaning no shoulder season.  That would be quite cold under those BN heights.  The GEFS is less impressed but is a similar setup.  But man, that is impressive below.

Screen_Shot_2023-12-17_at_3.14.29_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2023-12-17_at_3.13.51_PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Wow.  The 12z EPS is now depicting a fairly decent winter wx patter for the last five days of its run  which is the last four days of December and NYD.  Here is the last 5 day 500 map and the very last day of that run.  That will work.  We are not looking at Weeklies now.  Oddly, this is what the original weeklies sort of had.  Textbook Nino BN heights over the SE.  Maybe it is a bit overdone, but we are now entering the timeframe when the EPS is respectable - meaning no shoulder season.  That would be quite cold under those BN heights.  The GEFS is less impressed but is a similar setup.  But man, that is impressive below.

Screen_Shot_2023-12-17_at_3.14.29_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2023-12-17_at_3.13.51_PM.png

Was just looking at that a little while ago. Probably has legs this time. Definitely a snow threat last week of the month. Too bad not a few days sooner for Christmas. 

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel Boone said:

Glad you did and great analysis as usual man. 

I don't want to raise expectations with cherry picking models, but that looks pretty similar (more extreme for sure) to other ensembles. 

But yeah.....that is an insane run for an ensemble.  Again, no idea if true....but that would tap the GOM w/ BN temps over much of the SE and MA.  The GEFS is not there, but similar.   That is how multi-day overrunning events look at range.  

Huge grains of salt...as usual.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Which site do you use for this?

• Like 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic