Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

36 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Love to see Scoots like this.  Love love love to see it 

Don't put more hype into Coastal's post then he intended.  "Caa mixes to and above 925 perhaps briefly".  He is not indicating a high probability but a "chance for a brief mixing"...  He certainly is not hyping it...  That being said this setup has a bit more potential than last week's but not yet a lock by any means.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Don't put more hype into Coastal's post then he intended.  "Caa mixes to and above 925 perhaps briefly".  He is not indicating a high probability but a "chance for a brief mixing"...  He certainly is not hyping it...  That being said this setup has a bit more potential than last week's but not yet a lock by any means.  

All one needs to do is examine the NAM and GFS soundings. They’ll get it 

• Confused 2

21 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Also I should clarify that I meant more in this area. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

23 minutes ago, amc said:

Still looks like 50-55 up here in Maine… with soft ground and that wind direction that’ll do some damage

Yeah those are knots 10m, that's easily 50mph gusts in general.  no one's going wild for the wind side.  Hopefully it produces, overachieves and we all lose power for days if not weeks, of course.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

All one needs to do is examine the NAM and GFS soundings. They’ll get it 

Of course, that assumes they will be correct, which we all know is frequently not always the case.  I do find this system to have a slightly higher chance of verifying; again favoring eastern coastal zones.  The last system featured a steadily decreasing threat as we moved from last Friday on into Sunday.  Right now, with another 48 hours of trend watching to go, this system seems to be holding a bit more steady... For inland areas, the systems I tend to get excited about are northwest flow events driven by tightening pressure gradients and strong CAA... These southerly flow events are very hard get most inland areas to see widespread damaging gusts... It can happen, but they are relatively rare.  I'd watch for any trends of note with the 0z runs... Any backing down would be a red flag....once again the focus is on eastern coastal areas, where if you are not breaking 55 mph, it's not a big deal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Of course, that assumes they will be correct, which we all know is frequently not always the case.  I do find this system to have a slightly higher chance of verifying; again favoring eastern coastal zones.  The last system featured a steadily decreasing threat as we moved from last Friday on into Sunday.  Right now, with another 48 hours of trend watching to go, this system seems to be holding a bit more steady... For inland areas, the systems I tend to get excited about are northwest flow events driven by tightening pressure gradients and strong CAA... These southerly flow events are very hard get most inland areas to see widespread damaging gusts... It can happen, but they are relatively rare.  I'd watch for any trends of note with the 0z runs... Any backing down would be a red flag....once again the focus is on eastern coastal areas, where if you are not breaking 55 mph, it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the info…and of course Kevin thanks you too.

If 0z backs down at all…it’s game over for him, and us for sure.  I actually don’t think this is anything for us inland folks already. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FXWX said:

NW CAA generally is boring . Trees are trained for that direction. That’s why we love SE screams. Trees can’t handle that direction anything over 50mph. To me, as long this tracks west we are locked 50-60  and a few + CT.. Especially valley east . This area loves SE winds for damage . Nothing is locked.. but a lot of folks are feeling this . Unless it tracks east over the cape. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

NW CAA generally is boring . Trees are trained for that direction. That’s why we love SE screams. Trees can’t handle that direction anything over 50mph. To me, as long this tracks west we are locked 50-60  and a few + CT.. Especially valley east . This area loves SE winds for damage . Nothing is locked.. but a lot of folks are feeling this . Unless it tracks east over the cape. 

thanks for hoping for the exciting solution even if not snow. I hope your area hits at least 55-60mph SSE

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Agree to disagree... I would confidently predict, far more damage has occurred over the decades during the cold season from gradient driven northwest backside winds than southeast flow events.  Especially inland zones.  Not trying to Debbie downer and think this one has some decent support...

5 minutes ago, FXWX said:

Agree to disagree... I would confidently predict, far more damage has occurred over the decades during the cold season from gradient driven northwest backside winds than southeast flow events.  Especially inland zones.  Not trying to Debbie downer and think this one has some decent support...

Do the heavy rains and soft ground change things? If the ground was frozen I don't think there'd be much concern for damage 

• Like 1