Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Expectations low for you and I naturally...but I don't necessarily hate it for sure. If Ray got 10" and I had 2-3" of mashed...fine by me. 

I could live with that....it doesn't need to be 20" to 5" like 12/92.....I can deal with "10-3"....I've come a long way in my willingness to share the wealth.

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think the follow up wave that was being discussed early would be preferable to many in SNE. First one is going to need a Hail Mary.

Im sure Hubb will be “surprised” by 4 or 5 inches of snow though with that first deal 

Yeah ideally there’s enough spacing for both waves but that might be tough. EPS does have several of the Dec 4th solutions cold enough for a chunk of SNE but a couple of the even snowier looks for most of SNE seem to be on the Dec 5-6 wave. 

Im not overly optimistic yet where I am in the interior…anything shovelable would be gravy this early. But there’s enough of a chance to monitor. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Finally a high that is not modeled to move over a pod of right whales south of Nova Scotia. 

Yeah last winter was comical on the high placements. Hopefully we get some positive regression this year on that front. Why not start with this system. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah ideally there’s enough spacing for both waves but that might be tough. EPS does have several of the Dec 4th solutions cold enough for a chunk of SNE but a couple of the even snowier looks for most of SNE seem to be on the Dec 5-6 wave. 

Im not overly optimistic yet where I am in the interior…anything shovelable would be gravy this early. But there’s enough of a chance to monitor. 

I would say our areas have equal chances...my latitude helps, but I'm also closer to the ocean....though with a good high placement, my area may have a slight edge.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Remember Dec 1996 with the twins -

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would say our areas have equal chances...my latitude helps, but I'm also closer to the ocean.

Agreed we’re not far off on threat probability but I’d prob trade spots with you on this particular setup all else equal. Latitude really helps on that look as it appears on guidance right now. Might be enough to outweigh ocean influence…esp since the high looks decent so you won’t really have to worry about a big east flow off the water…but I’m starting to digress into details that could easily change. 

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Agreed we’re not far off on threat probability but I’d prob trade spots with you on this particular setup all else equal. Latitude really helps on that look as it appears on guidance right now. Might be enough to outweigh ocean influence…esp since the high looks decent so you won’t really have to worry about a big east flow off the water…but I’m starting to digress into details that could easily change. 

NE wind here isn't as big a deal as it is a bit further south in Wilmington, as the angle of the coast is sharper with latitude.....its the east and SE winds, like these first couple events, that still kill me this far north.

heh... I just saw that Euro run. That 4th event's colder in the interior push comes to shove with that high placement.

The +PP is built in prior to the system arrival, not as or racing.  Typical to be too mild in the lower 1300' of the atmosphere from this range when/given that sort of set up. 

But as we've been collectively intimating ... it may be moot anyway as it's not abundantly clear which wave in that troika ends up dominant.  Possibilities range from one in lieu of the others, to all three interfering and nothing gets done... 

Agreed ... the period is of interest/still -

13 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

NE wind here isn't as big a deal as it is a bit further south in Wilmington, as the angle of the coast is sharper with latitude.....its the east and SE winds, like these first couple events, that still kill me this far north.

As Will stated, even a NE Wind with a decent high, doesn't have to be a great high in place, would be fine for even Wilmington. I've seen it myself many times even in December. But an east wind and especially a southeast wind would most definitely be a mid-level and even low-level killer for snow with any weak high or marginal airmass in place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll be praying for the summit of Deer Scrotum a few miles over yonder from Berkshire park.

Visibility 1/10 of a mile in blowing indifference.

I could live with that....it doesn't need to be 20" to 5" like 12/92.....I can deal with "10-3"....I've come a long way in my willingness to share the wealth.

Lol.  Don't kid yourself. 

• Like 1

People sometimes don't consider the sub-geostrophic wind is different than the isobaric layout enough.  It is pointed more across the isobars.  If the isobars are oriented west to E, surface drag and restoring requirements (physically) forces the wind to go across the isobars in the lower levels. 

There are then two factors that will augment that even further:

1    cross-isobaric flow that sets up during rapid cyclogenesis scenarios.  It happens when pressure falls in the core faster then the time dependency in the Coriolis force; the immediate restoring flow responds quicker and the air goes straight at the low - barring terrain.   

2   ageostrophic flow happens when there is a cold air present N,  assisted further if there +PP situated N. That can cause the wind to also exaggerate the sub geostrophic flow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

favorable trend in the PNA over the last cycle or so

IMG_3591.thumb.gif.9b5e45b37d4bd1a9d846da4af04cb9b8.gif

That's really been all I've concerned over up to this point, getting the pattern orientation into the best fit with the numerical telecon.  At some point along the way, that 'fit' should host a more coherent system result, yeah. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1