Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
9th Annual Mid-Atlantic Snowfall Contest

RodneyS

25 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

8th lowest guess and...feels way too optimistic at this juncture. 

Are you already regretting not following through on your below statement of November 10th? :huh:

Just waiting til the last possible minute to go .1 across the board…

16 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

From an earlier post, these are averages of the past contest winters:

averages 2014/2015-2022/2023 ___ 14.5 __ 9.8 __ 15.8 __ 8.3 ___ (total 48.4)

past seven avg (2016/17- 22/23) ____ 9.5 __ 6.9 __ 10.3 __ 6.7 ___ (total 33.4)

Thanks, Roger.  I wonder if anyone ran a Mid-Atlantic contest on any Internet site in 2009-10?  If so, were the picks abnormally high?

10 hours ago, RodneyS said:

Thanks, Roger.  I wonder if anyone ran a Mid-Atlantic contest on any Internet site n 2009-10?  If so, were the picks abnormally high?

Lots of stats here/below altho it may not include specific answers to your question.

http://www.newx-forecasts.com

A fun contest to forecast against yourself and others. If anyone recalls the “Joseph Bartlo days” on the 1990’s ne.weather Usenet bulletin boards, this is where some of us landed. Includes enough stats to make your head explode. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Herb@MAWS said:

Lots of stats here/below altho it may not include specific answers to your question.

http://www.newx-forecasts.com

A fun contest to forecast against yourself and others. If anyone recalls the “Joseph Bartlo days” on the 1990’s ne.weather Usenet bulletin boards, this is where some of us landed. Includes enough stats to make your head explode. 

Thanks, Herb.  I know that the Capital Weather Gang had one of their better snow forecasts for 2009-10, but I'm not sure anyone foresaw the record amount of snow that season.

• Like 1

Well I had a look (I participate in those contests) and apparently herb @ maws won the 2009-10 contest, the website does not preserve details but given 15-20 were usually in these contests, herb probably forecast close to what happened. I managed to win 2010-2011 and 2011-12 which surprised me since 2011-12 was probably a very snow-deficient winter but I do vaguely recall predicting a mild winter on Eastern wx before we got going here.

I was going to plug the ne-wx site and will do it now, follow that link above and check it out. Don Sutherland (NYC) routinely does very well in storm forecasts. 

• Like 2

Last call for two snowfall contests (deadlines for both are end of Sunday 10th)

(1) On our site, in general interest forum, you can enter a nine-location snowfall contest in the Dec 2023 contest thread.

(2) At link below, you can enter 25th annual northeast US snowfall contest for 25 locations in the eastern US, as well as storm forecast contests announced on site when available...

http://newxsfc.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Seventeen people believed there would be more snow than I did -- in itself, some kind of new record. Usually it's closer to four or five maybe.

I would probably take a few lower now just because we're still at zero and I thought Dec could produce a few inches, but otherwise, the pattern looks to be evolving in a good direction. Anyway, we are stuck with the original guesses, so over-performers are welcome. 

2 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

Seventeen people believed there would be more snow than I did -- in itself, some kind of new record. Usually it's closer to four or five maybe.

I would probably take a few lower now just because we're still at zero and I thought Dec could produce a few inches, but otherwise, the pattern looks to be evolving in a good direction. Anyway, we are stuck with the original guesses, so over-performers are welcome. 

Obviously it’s past the deadline but I might post a late entry just for fun later today.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 9:50 AM, RodneyS said:

Based on the numbers from the Capital Weather Gang, RIC Airport, and yoda, below is the updated spreadsheet. EastCoast NPZ is still in the lead, but he does have an unwanted distinction that no one achieved last season:  Negative departures at DCA, IAD, and RIC.

image.thumb.png.4d8d071c6d7aebb5b6b887d3a914c211.png

I see that as of 1 PM today (Monday, MLK day), DCA is reporting 0.7 inches and IAD is reporting 0.9 inches.  By tomorrow morning, we should have a new leader -- something that did not happen last season  ;-).  I will update the leader board on Tuesday. 

18 hours ago, RodneyS said:

I see that as of 1 PM today (Monday, MLK day), DCA is reporting 0.7 inches and IAD is reporting 0.9 inches.  By tomorrow morning, we should have a new leader -- something that did not happen last season  ;-).  I will update the leader board on Tuesday. 

We indeed have a new leader -- previous Mid-Atlantic snow contest operator @PrinceFrederickWx. So far, the reports for this storm are as follows:

BWI 4.9 inches

DCA 4.1 inches

IAD 4.4 inches

RIC 0.5 inches

There still may be updates to these figures, but the table below shows the current standings.

image.thumb.png.03611762614b02b53b06e628d7bc5611.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I gotta survive Friday but then I should be good for awhile. 

Your two closest competitors can't catch you, and so if we get no more than an inch at each of the airports on Friday, you will remain in the lead.

• Thanks 1