Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

1 minute ago, Maggie Valley Steve said:

We are going to have concrete tomorrow night into Wednesday morning. My forecast low for Wednesday morning is 1. Looking like we will have snow on the ground throughout the upcoming weekend with more snow possible Thursday night into Friday.

Thats the best kind IMO. Well around here it is. Staying power helps with those forecasted cold temps for sure. 

• Like 1

Just now, Met1985 said:

Yeah I got out around the house up into Fines Creek and Rush Fork and just about ate the ditch. The crap is extremely wet and just packs in-between your tread of your tires. 

How much do we  have on the ground around our end of the county? Looked like a solid 1-2” on my camera at the house, some heavy returns up Fines Creek and Betsy Gap way makes me think they are at least 3-6” if they got colder faster. 

Just now, WxKnurd said:

How much do we  have on the ground around our end of the county? Looked like a solid 1-2” on my camera at the house, some heavy returns up Fines Creek and Betsy Gap way makes me think they are at least 3-6” if they got colder faster. 

Yeah around our area it's pushing 3 inches and absolute whiteout conditions.  Just puking snow up through that way. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tacoma said:

Hard to believe I live 15 minutes from Haywood County where it's snowing like crazy with around 3 inches.  I'm in Buncombe County but 15 minutes from there and I'm getting rain.  Just crazy.  

Waynesville proper just had mostly rain last I heard from my buddy there at like 5.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

Hard to believe I live 15 minutes from Haywood County where it's snowing like crazy with around 3 inches.  I'm in Buncombe County but 15 minutes from there and I'm getting rain.  Just crazy.  

I know what you mean. Had a rain snow mix all evening while the mountain in front of the house was dumped on with a few inches.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sw NC weather said:

I know what you mean. Had a rain snow mix all evening while the mountain in front of the house was dumped on with a few inches.

Man what do we have to do to get a true Miller A in here?  We get the moisture and it's to warm now we're going to get the cold with no moisture.  I'm holding on for February.  Not giving up yet.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

Man what do we have to do to get a true Miller A in here?  We get the moisture and it's to warm now we're going to get the cold with no moisture.  I'm holding on for February.  Not giving up yet.  

It’s gotta happen eventually, I’m hoping February will be rocking. Only a 1/2” here this season. Average is about 11.5”.

Just now, Sw NC weather said:

We may just have to move up the mountain and be buckethead’s neighbor. 

You might be right.  I grew up here and we always that I can remember had great winters with snow.  Has the weather around here changed that much?  1960 school was closed the whole month of February, we had 3 snowstorms one after the other before one could clear up the next storm brought heavy snow and then another.  Us kids loved it.  Best sledding down the road it was so packed down and would freeze at night.  

• Like 1

0700 PM     Snow             5 NNE Faust             35.98N 82.50W
01/15/2024  M10.8 inch       Yancey             NC   Public           
            Heavy snow still falling, accumulating 
            quickly. Elevation 4360.

• Like 1