Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

8 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

If we don't get a major SWE I think the odds of area wide snow is pretty slim

Oddly enough, I’m torn because I feel like more times than not, a SWE means suppression city for storm tracks. I really think we need to time up the NAO and PNA for one frickin time in our lives. We’ve had a ton of one or the other but not a lot of both in recent years. 

you may certainly be right though. This side of the globe is almost devoid of cold and we need that to change in a big way to have a chance. It’s alarming when places like Buffalo and Chicago really haven’t even been able to muster up a decent storm and we’re almost to January.

• Like 4

Oddly enough, I’m torn because I feel like more times than not, a SWE means suppression city for storm tracks. I really think we need to time up the NAO and PNA for one frickin time in our lives. We’ve had a ton of one or the other but not a lot of both in recent years. 

you may certainly be right though. This side of the globe is almost devoid of cold and we need that to change in a big way to have a chance. It’s alarming when places like Buffalo and Chicago really haven’t even been able to muster up a decent storm and we’re almost to January.

It’s still early.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

The northern stream is still stuck on La Niña and making things harder than usual. This upcoming stretch would be extremely favorable, especially for light to moderate area wide events, but the northern stream is just on overdrive and mostly shredding and crushing all of our southern waves. Without the Atlantic blocking to backup the flow it's an extreme game of thread the needle to get a phase to happen at the perfect time. I still think we can score in this 10 day stretch or so, it just looks more complicated than it did before.

As for later on, many signs still point to a potential blockbuster late January and February but only time will tell. A warming event would certainly help to likely lock in a -NAO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, westmc9th said:

Really thought this first week of January would be a good opportunity for us. Alas, more of the same. At least it will be chilly

It's definitely disappointing. We haven't had a true snow threat (much less a storm) in almost 2 years most places outside TN border. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

It's definitely disappointing. We haven't had a true snow threat (much less a storm) in almost 2 years most places outside TN border. 

January 16, 2022 is the last time a widespread system came through that I can think of.  I had 10” here (biggest storm I’ve gotten to enjoy since I moved to Haywood from Charlotte in February of 2019) at my new place after I had just moved in end of 2021 and I think around 30” total for that season, last year I had one flow snow event of 5-6” and that was it.  I don’t even think I cracked cracked double digits for the season.  This year I may be close to an inch total from the three minor accumulations thus far.  Basically what I’m saying is I’m “cold and snowy weather” starved! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WxKnurd said:

January 16, 2022 is the last time a widespread system came through that I can think of.  I had 10” here (biggest storm I’ve gotten to enjoy since I moved to Haywood from Charlotte in February of 2019) at my new place after I had just moved in end of 2021 and I think around 30” total for that season, last year I had one flow snow event of 5-6” and that was it.  I don’t even think I cracked cracked double digits for the season.  This year I may be close to an inch total from the three minor accumulations thus far.  Basically what I’m saying is I’m “cold and snowy weather” starved! 

Amen brother. We had 11" here in that Jamuary 2022 system. But since then, basically nada in the foothills. As each week passes with no snow, we get closer to another disappointing winter.