Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter 2023

George BM

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Find something you love as much as the ravens love keeping inferior teams in the game 

They just aren't very fun to watch lol. An ugly 4-2 team. Too many penalties and can't get in the end zone enough. Offense is not smooth at all. Not sure I like the Gus-J Hill tandem at RB. Maybe Keaton Mitchell will get a look. They better get it together for the Lions, who look legit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

They just aren't very fun to watch lol. An ugly 4-2 team. Too many penalties and can't get in the end zone enough. Offense is not smooth at all. Not sure I like the Gus-J Hill tandem at RB. Maybe Keaton Mitchell will get a look. They better get it together for the Lions, who look legit.

I seem to recall the 2012 team starting out an ugly 5-1 team :) (legit just looked at a fb memory where I was complaining about how awful the defense looked. I know one game we scored no TDs but won somehow). And really though...how often have the Ravens looked "pretty" anyway? Lol

My O-scale train engine’s smoke fan that I set up each holiday season died last December so drove up to the fairgrounds train show looking for a repair. It’s heading to Rehoboth for the repair which is fine by me because I’ll have to go Dogfish when I pick it up in a couple of weeks. :bike:

Left there and hit up Farmacy Brewery in Butler. Outstanding!

And then The Peppered Pig in Butler. Omg.

Finished the Tour de Butler with a pumpkin latte at the always good Velocinno coffee shop.

What a day!

• Like 4

Sixty-nine years ago today a truly historic thing occurred in the region. Hurricane Hazel blasted the region with 70-100+ mph wind gusts! A truly phenomenal thing experiencing limbs dashing across the street with shingles flying like bats everywhere.

DC gusted up to 98mph that afternoon. Truly incredible.

• Like 5

Last night: FIRST OFFICIAL LOW IN THE 40s!!!

It got down to 46. It was cold as all heck! We just got done with one hellish brutal fiery summer only scant weeks ago! Dewpoint was 39. Winds were north at 10. That windchill was frigid. It made me think of the winter that is about to smash right into the Mid Atlantic, laden with snow and vodka cold temps!

• Like 2

This is getting ridiculous. We have fallen to a temperature, that for us down here in the Southwest, is  like Vodka Cold for this time of year. It's 43/36. It is cold as heck! Our low is supposed to be 60. 

If we keep on with these kinds of temperature anomalies into deep winter, we might end up far worse than last February's three quarter inch icestorm, or worse off than in the Infamous February 2021 Cold/Ice/Snow Outbreak, in which our pipes froze solid and I hauled water like an 1890s pioneer in the Oklahoma Territory.

I am definitely NOT used to this kind of cold, not after working outside in that fiery 104 every day for weeks.

EDIT 9pm: Our avg temps have now fallen to 79/59!!! Time to celebrate with a billion kegs of Texas Beer!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

A group of our friends just booked a ski-in, ski-out place for our five families near the top of Wisp for December 27-30. First time out there. Hoping for at least a little snowpack at the house to amp up the Holiday feel while we're there!

Man, we’ve been going with a group of 4 families for the last 6 years for new years and if I remember correctly we’ve had exactly 1 winter where we had a ton of snow on the ground. In fact the last 2 we were able to do polar bear plunge in the lake with temps in the 50s-60… it wasn’t that bad either lol. We switched it up this year to masanutten so you’re probably golden haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, mattie g said:

A group of our friends just booked a ski-in, ski-out place for our five families near the top of Wisp for December 27-30. First time out there. Hoping for at least a little snowpack at the house to amp up the Holiday feel while we're there!

We spend every year between Christmas and New Years at our place in McHenry. The last three years have been snowless (and the last two years have sucked in terms of rain/50s) but the three years before that featured snow falling. December 2017 had like 18” on the ground with a few storms in that timeframe. 

“see you” on the mountain! I turn 40 during that week so maybe that will bring the goods ha. 

• Like 10

14 hours ago, 5-4-3DP said:

Man, we’ve been going with a group of 4 families for the last 6 years for new years and if I remember correctly we’ve had exactly 1 winter where we had a ton of snow on the ground. In fact the last 2 we were able to do polar bear plunge in the lake with temps in the 50s-60… it wasn’t that bad either lol. We switched it up this year to masanutten so you’re probably golden haha.

Crazy to hear about 50s and 60s out there at that time of the year, but it's been a miserable stretch of winter for everyone!

It's been too long for us. We used to go to Snowshoe as a group before kids, but we're ready to jump back into it!

13 hours ago, nj2va said:

We spend every year between Christmas and New Years at our place in McHenry. The last three years have been snowless (and the last two years have sucked in terms of rain/50s) but the three years before that featured snow falling. December 2017 had like 18” on the ground with a few storms in that timeframe. 

“see you” on the mountain! I turn 40 during that week so maybe that will bring the goods ha. 

Really looking forward to this. The last two years have just sucked in general, so hopefully the lack of a raging Nina will help bring some goods. 18" OTG would be great, but I'd be happy with enough to cover the soles of my shoes and some flakes flying!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, dailylurker said:

I was thinking the same thing this morning. I feel like recent Octobers have been hot and dry. This has been a beautiful October. Hopefully we'll get some of those fresh powder blue bird mornings this winter that I remember as a kid. I remember going to bed with snow in the forecast, sneaking to the living room window during the night and seeing it dumping. Then wake up to dark blue sky and 8-12" on the ground. 

Haha, nice. Did that too! Magical.

Also, on nights when snow was in the forecast or even remotely possible, I used to get in trouble (when caught) for opening my bedroom window and ofc letting the heat out just basically standing there gazing into the night praying and willing and BEGging it to snow and breathing the cold air :lol: and seeing if I "smelled snow" :lol: Unfortunately, I don't have any specific memories connecting those nights to snowy mornings. I do know I did this ritual much more often than it actually snowed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 10/18/2023 at 4:44 PM, Kay said:

Haha, nice. Did that too! Magical.

Also, on nights when snow was in the forecast or even remotely possible, I used to get in trouble (when caught) for opening my bedroom window and ofc letting the heat out just basically standing there gazing into the night praying and willing and BEGging it to snow and breathing the cold air :lol: and seeing if I "smelled snow" :lol: Unfortunately, I don't have any specific memories connecting those nights to snowy mornings. I do know I did this ritual much more often than it actually snowed.

And I thought I was a snow weenie!

On 10/17/2023 at 1:58 PM, mattie g said:

You are gonna get it. That place will get demolished  by torrential deep snow!

But right now, WE in Texas are getting demolished by an autumnal heat wave! It is 96 degrees along with a 43 dewpoint. Humidity is 16 percent. Tomorrow may be hotter and will likely challenge long-standing records. TODAY might end up challenging long-standing records.

EDIT: It's 97 degrees with a 41 dewpoint. Feels like 93. Humidity is 14 percent. This feels like Lubbock, Texas weather, lol.

• Like 1

But right now, WE in Texas are getting demolished by an autumnal heat wave! It is 96 degrees along with a 43 dewpoint. Humidity is 16 percent. Tomorrow may be hotter and will likely challenge long-standing records. TODAY might end up challenging long-standing records.

EDIT: It's 97 degrees with a 41 dewpoint. Feels like 93. Humidity is 14 percent. This feels like Lubbock, Texas weather, lol.

The heat dome is back. I wouldn’t mind a return of at least 70s here. It’s been a little too cool and cloudy recently for my taste…at least for this time of year.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/20/weather/northeast-wet-dreary-weekend-forecast/index.html

I remember sometime between 09/10 and probably 2020/2021, there were people here looking into the question “why does it seem to snow more on weekends in NoVa than it statistically seems it should be?”

Did anyone actually find anything legit to this theory?

On 10/21/2023 at 9:34 AM, understudyhero said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/20/weather/northeast-wet-dreary-weekend-forecast/index.html

I remember sometime between 09/10 and probably 2020/2021, there were people here looking into the question “why does it seem to snow more on weekends in NoVa than it statistically seems it should be?”

Did anyone actually find anything legit to this theory?

I think it's mostly with the mothership snowstorms, not so much the smaller ones.  Also, if we consider weekends to be Friday to Sunday, that's 3/7 of a week.  Pretty good chance something will happen on those days.  It is funny that the big ones have tended to begin on a weekend, though.  93/96/10/16 were all Fridays.  03 was a Sunday I think.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic