Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October Banter 2023

George BM

Forecast Discussion

Tuesday, October 31, 2023 3:45AM EDT

The strong arctic front is currently in eastern WV about to enter into western VA. A line of heavy gusty downpours and embedded thunderstorms stretches from NNE to SSW along this front. Temperatures have risen into the lower/mid 70s on strong south to SSE winds ahead of the front. These synoptic winds will continue to gust into the 35-45+ mph range w/ up to 50 mph gusts along the Potomac and Chesapeake shores and mountains to the west gusting into the 50 to 60 mph range with the 70+ kt LL jet overhead. A High Wind Warning for the highest elevations of the Blue Ridge and a Wind Advisory in the metro areas and near the Chesapeake Bay accounts for the wind threat ahead of the front.

The main line will affect far western areas (between the VA/WV border and the Blue Ridge) between 8z and 10z, the Greater Metropolitan region in the 9-12z timeframe and eastern and southern MD eastwards through the rest of the Delmarva in the 11z-15z timeframe. Dewpoints ahead of this line are in the upper 60s to around 70F leading to around 500-1000 J/kg of CAPE. The main threat from the line of storms will be strong winds and perhaps a brief qlcs tornado given the low-level shear. With Pwats in excess of 1.75” there is a slight risk of flash flooding of some streams and low-lying areas, though the progressive nature of the line will prevent a bigger flood threat.

Behind the front temperatures will fall rapidly on strong NNW winds as light/moderate anafrontal rain continues. In fact, temperatures in the metros will fall into the lower 40s by the early afternoon hours w/ upper 30s in the far NW suburbs. At the same time, a potent shortwave trough will have rounded the base of the longwave trough taking on a negative-tilt allowing another wave of low pressure to rapidly deepen along the front in the eastern Carolinas into the Virginia Beach area. This area of low-pressure will travel northeast along the front which will be situated along the Atlantic coastline through the afternoon and evening. As this occurs, more moisture will be thrown northwest into the cold airmass courtesy of the strongly negatively tilted trough increasing precip intensity. By mid-afternoon rain will change over to snow in the mountains with this changeover moving eastwards into the metros by 21-22z as temperatures fall to near freezing. Snowfall rates will be heavy with 1-2”+/hr rates commonplace, perhaps nearing 3”/hr at times in the heaviest bands that form. At the same time, courtesy of the increasing surface pressure gradient, NNW winds may gust over 50 mph at times from late afternoon through the evening. This will lead to low visibilities of under a quarter mile at times. A Winter Storm Warning is currently in place from the mid-afternoon hours into the early overnight hours for the metros with Blizzard warnings along the Blue Ridge and higher elevations. An upgrade to a Blizzard Warning for the majority of the region may very well be needed if current model and realtime trends continue this morning.

Snow should taper off by midnight or 1am at latest with many areas receiving 6-10”+ of snow (locally up to a foot where the heaviest bands set up) with 10”-15”+ amounts in the mountains to the west. Temperatures will bottom out in record territory and hover in the lower/mid 20s through the overnight hours but the strong gusty NW winds will put wind chills in the single digits making for a mid-winter like start to November.

Forecaster Wannabe: George BM

• Like 8

• mappy pinned this topic

Painted the wheels on the ole Massey. Pretty close to done with the restoration except for mechanical wear parts that haven't failed yet. Diesel motor should be good for another 3k hours b4 rebuild is needed. Everything works including power steering lol.  Massey Ferguson purists will hate the paint job but I'm not a purist and it looks cool to me :tomato:

Screenshot_20231001-080432_Gmail.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Painted the wheels on the ole Massey. Pretty close to done with the restoration except for mechanical wear parts that haven't failed yet. Diesel motor should be good for another 3k hours b4 rebuild is needed. Everything works including power steering lol.  Massey Ferguson purists will hate the paint job but I'm not a purist and it looks cool to me :tomato:

Super awesome Bob!!

12 hours ago, George BM said:

Forecast Discussion

The strong arctic front is currently in eastern WV about to enter into western VA. A line of heavy gusty downpours and embedded thunderstorms stretches from NNE to SSW along this front. Temperatures have risen into the lower/mid 70s on strong south to SSE winds ahead of the front. These synoptic winds will continue to gust into the 35-45+ mph range w/ up to 50 mph gusts along the Potomac and Chesapeake shores and mountains to the west gusting into the 50 to 60 mph range with the 70+ kt LL jet overhead. A High Wind Warning for the highest elevations of the Blue Ridge and a Wind Advisory in the metro areas and near the Chesapeake Bay accounts for the wind threat ahead of the front.

The main line will affect far western areas (between the VA/WV border and the Blue Ridge) between 8z and 10z, the Greater Metropolitan region in the 9-12z timeframe and eastern and southern MD eastwards through the rest of the Delmarva in the 11z-15z timeframe. Dewpoints ahead of this line are in the upper 60s to around 70F leading to around 500-1000 J/kg of CAPE. The main threat from the line of storms will be strong winds and perhaps a brief qlcs tornado given the low-level shear. With Pwats in excess of 1.75” there is a slight risk of flash flooding of some streams and low-lying areas, though the progressive nature of the line will prevent a bigger flood threat.

Behind the front temperatures will fall rapidly on strong NNW winds as light/moderate anafrontal rain continues. In fact, temperatures in the metros will fall into the lower 40s by the early afternoon hours w/ upper 30s in the far NW suburbs. At the same time, a potent shortwave trough will have rounded the base of the longwave trough taking on a negative-tilt allowing another wave of low pressure to rapidly deepen along the front in the eastern Carolinas into the Virginia Beach area. This area of low-pressure will travel northeast along the front which will be situated along the Atlantic coastline through the afternoon and evening. As this occurs, more moisture will be thrown northwest into the cold airmass courtesy of the strongly negatively tilted trough increasing precip intensity. By mid-afternoon rain will change over to snow in the mountains with this changeover moving eastwards into the metros by 21-22z as temperatures fall to near freezing. Snowfall rates will be heavy with 1-2”+/hr rates commonplace, perhaps nearing 3”/hr at times in the heaviest bands that form. At the same time, courtesy of the increasing surface pressure gradient, NNW winds may gust over 50 mph at times from late afternoon through the evening. This will lead to low visibilities of under a quarter mile at times. A Winter Storm Warning is currently in place from the mid-afternoon hours into the early overnight hours for the metros with Blizzard warnings along the Blue Ridge and higher elevations. An upgrade to a Blizzard Warning for the majority of the region may very well be needed if current model and realtime trends continue this morning.

Snow should taper off by midnight or 1am at latest with many areas receiving 6-10”+ of snow (locally up to a foot where the heaviest bands set up) with 10”-15”+ amounts in the mountains to the west. Temperatures will bottom out in record territory and hover in the lower/mid 20s through the overnight hours but the strong gusty NW winds will put wind chills in the single digits making for a mid-winter like start to November.

Sounds like an enhanced version of Oct 9/10 1979 :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Anyone else seeing a stink bug explosion literally today? They are EVERYWHERE at my house - trying to get in every window and door.

Literally. Saw ONE yesterday. Fried at least 40 out on the deck/sunny side of the house today with my electrocution racket. Every one I kill now is one less I spend the winter with in the house. They weren't bad at all last Fall. Not so this year.

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Literally. Saw ONE yesterday. Fried at least 40 out on the deck/sunny side of the house today with my electrocution racket. Every one I kill now is one less I spend the winter with in the house. They weren't bad at all last Fall. Not so this year.

Glad it’s not just me - it is crazy weird - like horror movie weird.

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Glad it’s not just me - it is crazy weird - like horror movie weird.

They know winter is coming. Around here the feed corn is being harvested, and they spend the summer feeding and breeding in the fields. Now they are seeking their place of overwintering, and it doesn't help that we have a week of temps near 80. I think last year the early chill kept the numbers low, but it does seem to vary from year to year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Anyone else seeing a stink bug explosion literally today? They are EVERYWHERE at my house - trying to get in every window and door.

Yup….. I saw lots of stink bugs crawling and flying around my house today.  Way more than last few years.  Of course, high Fall stink bug counts portend a snowy winter here ( or so I hope ;)).

Last night and the night before that, Palisades Tahoe had steady SNOW!!!! It was not accumulating but it was a cool 34 degrees!

Those guys get the snow early! With the record strong super Nino, they are REALLY gonna get Januburied BAD this season!

Its snowing lightly RIGHT NOW, TOO! Check out the 8200' Level webcam!

https://www.palisadestahoe.com/mountain-information/webcams

4 hours ago, MDstorm said:

Yup….. I saw lots of stink bugs crawling and flying around my house today.  Way more than last few years.  Of course, high Fall stink bug counts portend a snowy winter here ( or so I hope ;)).

Bank on it. Twenty percent interest, too. You guys are gonna get buried ALIVE in deep snow!

On 9/30/2023 at 8:34 PM, George BM said:

Forecast Discussion

1. You are NO wannabe, George BM.

2. Expect this for real, as the record strong Nino shreds the Mid Atlantic this fall and winter.

3. George BM is dead on, but the snowfall amounts are conservative. This may happen later in the season but the Mid Atlantic will get severely walloped by snow and high winds.

13 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I am jealous!

I LOVE your avatar pic! It is very, very apt for this winter in the Mid Atlantic. This Nino is going to be a BEAST! You're gonna need truckloads of those Faces!

22 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Green Acres | Old tv shows, Old shows, Childhood tv shows

18 hours ago, CAPE said:

Return of the stinkbugs. 

Yeah, WTAF is up with THEM all of a sudden?? Yesterday alone, we found at least 3 or 4 in the house, and a dozen or more while sitting out on the patio. UGH.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Lantern flies here. 

We've so far escaped them in my neck of Fairfax County, but I'm assuming it's a matter of time. We went apple picking in Berryville this weekend and I killed all three that I saw.

Was up in South Jersey about six weeks ago and didn't see nearly as many as I did at the same time last year. My dad said that they weren't as plentiful as they had been in the previous couple years, so I guess that's good.

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic