• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

A below normal November looks increasingly likely looking at the longer range models that take us through Thanksgiving week here in Chester County. Today will be a good 15 degrees chillier than yesterday and tomorrow will be 15 degrees warmer than today. Overall so far in November we have experience below normal temperatures. With the exception of tomorrow we should see most days over the next week continuing this chilly trend with below normal temps. Unfortunately, any rain chances look slight at best.
Records for today: High (76) 2020 / 17 (1976) / Rain 2.53 (1996) / Snow 0.8" (1927)
image.png.ff6c4c4a1fcd1b8df6888727bd6ed8d4.png
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We just happen to have it on at night.  With our access to models, watching the weatherman is not so cool anymore but still interesting to hear someone talk weather. 

I grew up watching the weatherman on tv, I guess I'll die that way too. There was something about watching the tv weatherman when I was a kid,

• Like 2

Well, I feel nice and refreshed after my brief stint in the Pine Creek watershed, where, by the way, we got almost a tenth of an inch of rain Monday night (not nearly enough to put out our raging fire ha), something we sorely need around here.  Had a low of 39 last night.  Some good news to report with my home weather station saga, where my high of 74 yesterday appears to be exactly in line with the other reports around me.  Little bit of a roller coaster with temps this week before some more sustained cool air settles in for the weekend.

• Like 2

For you snow fans out there....of note here in Chester County PA we have only averaged a first measurable snowfall prior to November 30th only 43% of the time or 55 times with 129 years of records.

The longest stretch without a first measurable snowfall was the 9 years between 1941 and 1949 followed closely by the 8 years between 1970 and 1978. The most consecutive years with snowfall prior to the end of November was the 10 years between 1903 and 1912.

2 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yesterday was great even with that wind, sunshine temps in the 70's great weather for this time of year...it reminded me of warm days in March. Can't we just flip the calendar to March now?

If your calendar includes 2024, I don't see how anything could you stop you from removing the November 2023, December 2023, January and February 2024 pages right now. In a matter of seconds your calendar can read March 2024. That alone might make you feel better. :)  

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, paweather said:

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. This is the first "official" winter forecast that I've seen that is going BN for temps. A lot of thought out there that December will torch, January will start warm and cool later (still ending up AN) followed by a BN February. 

• Like 1

By the way - there is a met who works in DC that seems to be respected a lot by our neighbors to our south. His name is Doug Kammerer, and he made a lot of headlines last year when he issued his seasonal forecast for DC that was for 1-6" of total snowfall. People were mocking him for his "ridiculous" forecast...well, he nailed it. 

Someone posted his 2023-24 snow map earlier this week - he has our area in his 38-52" range. MA peeps said that when he was delivering his winter outlook, he was very excited...and apparently that's not the norm for him. He's all in on a snowy winter for all of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. This is the first "official" winter forecast that I've seen that is going BN for temps. A lot of thought out there that December will torch, January will start warm and cool later (still ending up AN) followed by a BN February. 

Yep everything of course are open ideas for the winter. I am hoping for 3 months of BN we haven't had that this in a long while I don't believe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voyager said:

If he's the future of this country, we are in so much trouble...

Every generation always says that about the previous generation and we usually end up fine lol. Also Twitter sustains itself off of negative reactions and outrage which is why the site always pushes things to people that make them mad or upset since it makes the most money. It also helps create this false perspective of how the real world really is hence the intense polarization that has developed over the years. I started using the site years ago and only recently noticed just how much mental harm it had done to me recently which is true of almost all social media. Seriously that site is so bad for your mental health if you don't know how to curate things and stay away from the unhealthy stuff. Especially after Musk's blunder buying the site the amount of misinformation and disinformation is the worst I have ever seen it to the point I actively stay away from all trending tabs now. And that doesn't even scratch the service of the site being flooded with so many AI bots that are now so real it is practically impossible to tell who's real or fake on that site anymore leading to malicious folks having immense power to manipulate society however they see fit. My point is social media is bad for you lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Every generation always says that about the previous generation and we usually end up fine lol. Also Twitter sustains itself off of negative reactions and outrage which is why the site always pushes things to people that make them mad or upset since it makes the most money. It also helps create this false perspective of how the real world really is hence the intense polarization that has developed over the years. I started using the site years ago and only recently noticed just how much mental harm it had done to me recently which is true of almost all social media. Seriously that site is so bad for your mental health if you don't know how to curate things and stay away from the unhealthy stuff. Especially after Musk's blunder buying the site the amount of misinformation and disinformation is the worst I have ever seen it to the point I actively stay away from all trending tabs now. And that doesn't even scratch the service of the site being flooded with so many AI bots that are now so real it is practically impossible to tell who's real or fake on that site anymore leading to malicious folks having immense power to manipulate society however they see fit. My point is social media is bad for you lol

Yeah, for the most part it is. I don't do X (or Twitter or whatever they'll call it next). Looking at the OT side of this board it's pretty obvious that itll rot your brain...lol

I do like Facebook for some things though. I find out about group Jeep runs through it by being in the local groups.

• Like 1

I kinda get this 2013 vibe coming where it gets cold in December and doesn't really warm up until late February. And it seemed to snow lightly every week.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

MU released a video to compliment his previously-issued winter outlook. He broke things down even further:

For Lanco specifically:

December: 1-3" of total snowfall. Temps 3-5 degrees AN. He feels confident that December is a torch

January: 7-11" of snowfall. Temps 1-3 degrees AN. This month will regress into a wintertime pattern as the month progresses.

February: 12-20" of snowfall. Temps 1-3 degrees BN. 

He had 7 analog years, which included big storm winters of 1982-83, 2009-10 as well as 2015-16. He did say that another 3 of his 7 analog winters ended up being duds, with 10" or less total seasonal snowfall. It is a risk.

There may be only a couple/few pure snow events in Lanco, but the risk is high to pile it up in those events. His late season storm track would suggest that the further east you are, the better come February. (areas west of Lanco figure to do much better earlier in the winter while we enjoy some nice rainfall.)

• Thanks 1

People want to blame the younger generations for the downfall of society. It's the gen Xers and early millennials who made social media with money thrown at them by Coke and Pepsi who are to blame in addition to the 24-hour newscycle.

I watched Old Dads last week. I refuse to believe there are that many morons out there who actually act like how the right and even the centre would want you to think the hard left conduct themselves. Granted, I haven't been in the city in a few years now, but I just can't imagine there are many of those dudes on that lady TikTok video shared on here alive. The first cold they caught would kill them.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

MU released a video to compliment his previously-issued winter outlook. He broke things down even further:

For Lanco specifically:

December: 1-3" of total snowfall. Temps 3-5 degrees AN. He feels confident that December is a torch

January: 7-11" of snowfall. Temps 1-3 degrees AN. This month will regress into a wintertime pattern as the month progresses.

February: 12-20" of snowfall. Temps 1-3 degrees BN. 

He had his 7 analog years, which included 1982-83, 2009-10 as well as 2015-16. He did say that another 3 of his 7 analog winters ended up being duds, with 10" or less total seasonal snowfall. It is a risk.

There may be only a couple/few pure snow events in Lanco, but the risk is high to pile it up in those events. His late season storm track would suggest that the further east you are, the better come February. (areas west of Lanco figure to do much better earlier in the winter while we enjoy some nice rainfall.)

Thank you good stuff and I like it although not the torch in December which JB says no to. Lets hope MU is off on that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

IF some of these winter outlooks materialize...there's going to be a lot of tension, frustration, despair, etc., in these threads while snow weenies wait not-so-patiently for the goods to be delivered...

No one in this subforum would ever fret or worry about snow, or the lack thereof. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, canderson said:

No one in this subforum would ever fret or worry about snow, or the lack thereof. 

The word "cancel" will become a household name. 

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

How much for Marysville and Dubois? 

3-6" with some mix in Dubois, little or no accumulation in Marysville with a cold rain. :)  

• Haha 2

A close to normal day in the books at Krou (using MDT's numbers for norms) with a high of 60.  The calls for well BN did not work out for us.    Southwesterlies keep getting us despite elevation.  Most telling, I was on Blue Ridge Summit which towers over my 810' elevation at 1345' and they were 58 at 3PM.