• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

Morning, all.  Low of 56 here.  Gonna take the boat out for one last hurrah with the wife this afternoon, then trying to sneak in a mow.  Grass has been loving all this dew.  Should be a 'beaut of a day.

Looks like we see 540s by Sunday, followed by a nice Autumn week, and then 570s by next weekend.  Although the 570s would look to have a potent storm attached so the temps wouldn't necessarily reflect the overriding airmass.  Anyway, fun times ahead.  The seasons, they are a-changin'. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

People tend to forget how much higher in elevation WV is compared to PA. They basically have an entire plateau higher than our highest peak. I'm guessing we have a cold upper low coming in behind front?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

They have 2,000' more of elevation, and yeah, that can "add up" in the winter.  

and yes, ULL sits above us for a couple days and feeds the area w/ colder NW flow.  Been consistently showing up for a while now and doesn't seem to be losing steam as we get closer to Saturday. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

People tend to forget how much higher in elevation WV is compared to PA. They basically have an entire plateau higher than our highest peak. I'm guessing we have a cold upper low coming in behind front?

Those of us who are obsessed with all-things elevation and topographic map don't forget :D

But yes, you are correct. 

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

Am I wrong in thinking this look would great for snow squalls in January with right airmass?

Not an expert on that myself but it seems to me we are on the south periphery of the ULL to our north but definitely precip up near the lakes if not frozen (and WV again wringing it out.)

We have had a very warm start here to October with high temperatures ranging from the upper 70's to low 80's across the County. Today and the next couple of days will continue that trend. However, we will see a sharp turn to much cooler than normal temperatures by the weekend. We may see temps across the higher spots of Chester County remaining in the low 50's on Sunday. We should see below normal autumnal temps continuing for most of next week. We will see rain chances ramping up by Friday evening continuing through Saturday AM.
Go Phillies!
Records for today: High 94 (1941) / Low 28 (1965) / Rain 2.04" (1902)
image.png.0056ada762633e4a3a9ee1083008b252.png

1 hour ago, Jns2183 said:

Flagstaff might be the only place I could live out there and be happy. Elevation helps

It's what makes driving on I-17 so challenging in the winter. You can go from wet to white in less than a mile when you hit the right elevation. Then, it can happen multiple times depending on what elevation the snow level actually is.

It's what makes driving on I-17 so challenging in the winter. You can go from wet to white in less than a mile when you hit the right elevation. Then, it can happen multiple times depending on what elevation the snow level actually is.
I'm not huge for college towns since living in state college so long, but I love outdoors and Flagstaff has the right mix