• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2023 OBS/Discussion Thread

Rtd208

Shower chances will be on the increase today with a pretty big spread between west to east across the county with rainfall amounts by tomorrow morning. Greatest amounts over 0.75" will be to the east with maybe only 0.33" in western spots. Much colder air spills in again tomorrow PM. It will be windy and cold both Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday high temps will struggle to get too far above the freezing mark with wind chills in the teens to low 20's at times.
Records for today: High 70 (1896) / Low 5 (1938) / Rain 1.52" (1944) / Snow 5.3" (2014)
image.png.4e5f64b4ffa16e32319ff4c9cc750ee1.png

16 hours ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

I don't think ABE has had a 6" storm since early February 2021.

15 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

You had 8.5", myself 8.3"....Feb 3, 2021. Berks got nailed.

Lansdale 8.5 in

North Wales 8.3 in

May have underperformed but 8.5" is still warning material I would think.

PENNSYLVANIA

Berks County

Fleetwood 26.0 in

Mertztown 26.0 in

Bern Twp 24.5 in

Laureldale 24.5 in

Huffs Church 24.1 in

Reading 23.0 in

Temple 22.0 in

Wernersville 22.0 in

Spring Twp 19.3 in

West Wyomissing 18.3 in

Bern Twp 18.0 in

District Twp 18.0 in

West Lawn 18.0 in

Wyomissing 17.8 in

Hamburg 15.0 in

https://6abc.com/philly-snow-totals-philadelphia-snowstorm-new-jersey-delaware/10248024/

13 hours ago, RedSky said:

Something tells me don't try and remember this one, vague memory of very heavy radar echoes for hours with nothing but light snow and me being beside myself over it, but then hours of heavier snow under light returns that helped

13 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

We received 16.6" of snow from that one. Some interesting snow drought notes....PHL has now gone a record 664 days since 2/13/22 without an inch of snow recorded in any day. Here in Chester County we have now gone 620 days without an inch of daily snow since March 12, 2022 when we received 4.3" of snow. The all-time Chester County record which was exactly the same as the old PHL mark was the 661 days that included the only snowless winter in Chesco history the winter of 1972-73. The drought ended at both PHL and Chesco on December 15, 1973

I dug up the Obs thread for that storm -

That was probably the most drama-inducing Miller B this forum has had since I started posting here (16 years ago now)!  :lol:

I had to dig through that thread but eventually found I finished up with 10.34" from that after experiencing every p-type possible including ZR, various IP, and snow over the 4-days it hung around.  In the middle of it was 14 hours of a sleet fest. :axe:

In any case, I ended up with a high of 40 yesterday and bottomed out at 29 this morning. It's currently overcast and 43 with dp rising quite a bit from the low 20s earlier and now at 35.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Recently, Philadelphia set a new record for its longest streak without daily snowfall of 1" or more.

image.png.5c775b5fbce494ecff56f63c0ff17b56.png

Elsewhere existing records include:

Allentown: 368 days
Atlantic City: 715 days
Baltimore: 672 days
New York City: 651 days (ongoing)
Richmond: 725 days
Trenton: 664 days
Washington, DC: 788 days
Wilmington, DE: 756 days

Note: All numbers are through today, as no snowfall is expected.

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Recently, Philadelphia set a new record for its longest streak without daily snowfall of 1" or more.

image.png.5c775b5fbce494ecff56f63c0ff17b56.png

Elsewhere existing records include:

Allentown: 368 days
Atlantic City: 715 days
Baltimore: 672 days
New York City: 651 days (ongoing)
Richmond: 725 days
Trenton: 664 days
Washington, DC: 788 days
Wilmington, DE: 756 days

Note: All numbers are through today, as no snowfall is expected.

Not looking good in the medium to long term for snow either. It's been torture for snow lovers since the winter of 2014-2015.

1 hour ago, Stormman96 said:

How so?  Didnt we get a pretty big storm feb 2021   Also multiple nor easters march 2018  also a big storm jan 2016???

That Feb. 2021 storm happened with an initial La Nina transitioning to ENSO neutral. Same happened in 2018.  Right now, we are in a strong El Nino (which was the case in late 2015, and then that transitioned as it moved into 2016).

Seems that when the ENSOs are "weak" or in transition, that opens the opportunities for phasing and whatnot.

Great Eagles Win Yesterday!  

On the Models past 3-5 years I see a reoccurring theme our new normal; the Pacific Ocean floods the pattern in North America with warm air.  So far minus it being a bit colder so far I see the same thing over and over again warm air off the warming oceans and Gulf of Mexico in our area.  

No Cold air has any staying power it just comes and it goes.  I am not liking what I am seeing right now.

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

1.30" here as well. Ch10 guy said maybe some flurries on Tuesday.

On the Birds...you just don't make 59-yard field goals in a driving rainstorm :o

Unless you are Jake Elliott, David Akers, or Tom Dempsey! :lol:

18 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Great Eagles Win Yesterday!  

On the Models past 3-5 years I see a reoccurring theme our new normal; the Pacific Ocean floods the pattern in North America with warm air.  So far minus it being a bit colder so far I see the same thing over and over again warm air off the warming oceans and Gulf of Mexico in our area.  

No Cold air has any staying power it just comes and it goes.  I am not liking what I am seeing right now.

There is an arctic air mass coming in by tomorrow.  When there is a SSWE event, you do get some PV lobes that can sometimes ooze down.  But of late, it has been the needle thread to get conditions between cold/dry/suppressed and warm/wet/overrunning.

I do think some of the problems now with forecasting is that models are not tweaked to deal with the warming and the odd effects that can come out of that in terms of extremes (cold, warm, wind).

Temp here has eased up to 43 with dp 40.

• Like 2

We ended up with 0.78" of rain yesterday here in East Nantmeal. A cold front has pushed through this AM. High temps in the low 40's should occur around noon and then our temps should slowly fall reaching freezing by around 7pm across most of Chester County. It will also be windy today and tonight. Of note some models do indicate a chance of some lake effect snow showers making it all the way across the state and reaching especially western spots of the county. So don't be surprised if you seem some flurries this evening into the night. The next 2 days will be our coldest days since last winter - we may not get above freezing tomorrow in some spots and not much better than the low to mid 30's on Wednesday. Below normal temps will continue through the week with our next chance of rain by Friday afternoon.
Records for today: High 73 (1896) / Low 13 (1932) / Rain 1.52" (1944) / Snow 4.5" (2012)
image.png.4dcc497e4f319bc514b11049a56e6b0d.png

So another interesting chart for those who "feel" we don't see large snowstorms here in Chester County in the modern days. The below chart in fact shows that our last complete decade the period 2010-2019 featured the most 10" plus snow storms (13 of them) then any decade in our history. Plus the 3 snowstorms in the 2010's that exceeded 20" of snow during the decade is tied with the 1890's for most 20" plus snowstorms. For the decades with the least amount of large snow events we need to go all the way back to the 1940's and 1970's. Those 2 decades both finished with less than 10 storms the entire decade that measured over 6". I suspect we are due for some less snowy decades as that is the simple cyclical nature of weather.

image.thumb.png.5b9bc8b807ebb862cedc2e718bebd4cf.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Mesos hinting at some scattered snow squalls tomorrow. Going to feel wintry for sure with highs in the mid 30s and blustery. Wednesday continued cold with same highs. 

Usually I get annoyed by the annoying loud buzzer alerts on my phone but if is a squall alert, I jump in the air, T-storm alerts as well! People look at me funny...

35F

• Haha 1