Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

16 hours ago, eyewall said:

Wow looking great up there! Down here in North Carolina we are seeing winter arrive in the mountains and Beech opened up:

GAxi4qFWkAAgtDj?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GAxjpAmWAAArQMx?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GAtNJsLXwAA313z?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GAtNJsRW4AA1YPM?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Nice pics!  Where in NC is that?

EDIT:  Pardon my reading comprehension....I just saw you said Beech and looked it up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

Yes just outside Banner Elk, NC

Looks like a really nice area.

Ironically, I need to secure a "home base" for about 6-10 months in NC during 2024 about an hour outside of Greensboro for my company next year.  Any direction and within an hour or so from that area.  I was thinking Lake Norman however, do you have any recommendations for places to avoid or areas that are nice?  I'm going in blind and am trying to find a nice area to pop into for a few days at a time each month to check on things while we get operations going.

14 hours ago, Layman said:

Looks like a really nice area.

Ironically, I need to secure a "home base" for about 6-10 months in NC during 2024 about an hour outside of Greensboro for my company next year.  Any direction and within an hour or so from that area.  I was thinking Lake Norman however, do you have any recommendations for places to avoid or areas that are nice?  I'm going in blind and am trying to find a nice area to pop into for a few days at a time each month to check on things while we get operations going.

Well that is the Triad which puts you about 2 hours and change from the mountains. Definitely check out Grandfather mountain and that area. Lake Norman is cool for sure as well. I am in Raleigh about an hour east of Greensboro which can be a fun place to visit. You will be about 3-4 hours away from the closest beaches (which are actually at the end of I-40). I would avoid Myrtle Beach in SC though. If you can invest the extra time (5 hours or so) drive to the Outer Banks. Finally in NC, Fayetteville and much of the coastal plain region (inland) is kind of the armpit region of the state.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Boston Bulldog said:

A beauty of a day up high at Sugarbush with immaculate views north towards Camels Hump and Mansfield. Getting a bit skied off in most spots, but taking the hike along of the Long Trail to Castlerock was well worth the effort for some softer turns. For December 8th, hard to do better than this

FE7354C8-2CB5-4401-A06D-1E6B0286AA55.jpeg

C2AC87E9-E7AA-4198-8298-5FAF9A2B6708.jpeg

I miss those scenes! My favorite view is from the top of Madonna Mountain at Smuggs. I am hoping to get there this winter.

Today was no exaggeration a top tier spring skiing day at Mad River Glen. Variable conditions with elevation (packed powder up high, hard pack down low) evolved into a universal corn surface that peeled away underfoot with ease in the bumps. I was concerned when I skinned to the top of the double before opening bell, as the entire place was either a coral reef or threatening to become manky. Instead, the hard pack softened and the wet snow ended up being confined to a small slice of elevation around mid mountain. Some sort of shallow funky inversion must have been in place last night.

7214BF48-9D41-4704-BF48-3D63FCE13252.thumb.jpeg.302fedb13652500f82ff3add620fd976.jpeg

The trails themselves were super spicy with rocks and stumps everywhere. You had dealers choice of fun techy bump lines in all directions off the summit. Caution was necessary though, troughs were often rock riddled, forcing some quick decision making in order to find creative lines. Cat Bowl skied the best I can remember. Paradise was totally ledged out down low, quick feet were needed to navigate this chokepoint.

57787D5E-9F98-4C79-BEAD-96FAB13C3D05.thumb.jpeg.f4d10481679149db3c5f2d5b89c5dfb0.jpeg

The thin base exposed several very fun features all over the mountain, with normally hidden ledges appearing on Chute and cliffs/ledges on lift line growing dramatically in size. Given how forgiving the surface was, many of these airs were very much in play. Chute in particular had a sporty double drop up high. 

432C356C-FF0B-4548-BB4C-B2BD8D51DDEF.thumb.jpeg.10adc90363acdde714c978cc3b1a0bc6.jpeg
Meanwhile the tower 10 and 11 ledges on Lift Line offered several big combos.

A6412D39-25A3-4B4C-A64D-F43287B0FC7B.thumb.jpeg.16a85b428673d57d4b31dcb593645118.jpeg
So rare to ride this terrain before the new year, let alone in conditions like this! What a start to the season

• Like 5

Day 04 & 05 at Wildcat on Friday and Saturday and conditions were very good with groomers in mid-winter form and ungroomed trails with plenty of snow and manageable. I think the recent round of a foot or so wet-snow boded well for adding to the base and covering up the surface, often times that dry snow just blows around and never sticks. Saturday skied better than Friday, but the crowds did show up, and while I can ski in comfort with other people, my interest in navigating diverse skill sets (people learning, race team practicing) is fading with age! Overall, very enjoyable.

Airlift rescue on Mt. Washington this weekend after a slide was triggered.  This is from a ski thread on another forum:

On Saturday my buddy Kevin was skiing Airplane on Washington with two other guys. First guy triggered a slide, stayed on top but sustained a leg injury that led to massive blood loss. Kevin and the other guy kept injured dude alive for 4 hours until a Blackhawk got him out.

These guys are all experienced and took every precaution, as you can see in the injured guys report in his Insta post. Scary shit.

Stay safe out there.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0ujv9iuauO/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Airlift rescue on Mt. Washington this weekend after a slide was triggered.  This is from a ski thread on another forum:

On Saturday my buddy Kevin was skiing Airplane on Washington with two other guys. First guy triggered a slide, stayed on top but sustained a leg injury that led to massive blood loss. Kevin and the other guy kept injured dude alive for 4 hours until a Blackhawk got him out.

These guys are all experienced and took every precaution, as you can see in the injured guys report in his Insta post. Scary shit.

Stay safe out there.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0ujv9iuauO/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

He slid for awhile. Terrifying.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0ui8IcuhWG/

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Diastah cutter for whites 

not thrilled as I have a rental after Xmas , gonna need plenty of fresh snow post 12/19

Not gonna lie; it's a disaster for the northern greens as well.  Only difference is greater ability to recover faster with upslope, but after the phenomenal start we have had, this one is gonna hurt.  I could see them going from almost 100 percent open, to 20 trails...and losing 4 days of snowmaking temps going into Christmas week blows too.   Water bars are going to be brutal next week.  Need to fake snow our way to a foot into next weekend to fix this.

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

Not gonna lie; it's a disaster for the northern greens as well.  Only difference is greater ability to recover faster with upslope, but after the phenomenal start we have had, this one is gonna hurt.  I could see them going from almost 100 percent open, to 20 trails...and losing 4 days of snowmaking temps going into Christmas week blows too.   Water bars are going to be brutal next week.  Need to fake snow our way to a foot into next weekend to fix this.

Ya def . I mean ..nh two weekends in a row ..but yes N greens just an epic kick in nads after the start elevations have had . Gonna need to resurface the heck out of everything to keep folks from skiing on dangerous ice . Resort ops must be puking looking at this system

38 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

4-6" rn with locally higher amounts for some of the maine mtns. Terrible for the resorts

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

I wish there was something they could apply to the snow pack to make the rain runoff or raise the melting temp. I can’t imagine places that don’t blast guns will be able to just groom slush that freezes , but I could certainly be wrong .

• Like 1

Disaster in no uncertain terms. Almost 100 percent open to bare spots here. Backyard at 1850’ has a stream running through it. Not that you ever want a hard freeze after, but it would have at least helped the water bars. Guns will go on tnrw afternoon, but after the best start since 18, this is a worst case scenario going into the holiday week.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Disaster in no uncertain terms. Almost 100 percent open to bare spots here. Backyard at 1850’ has a stream running through it. Not that you ever want a hard freeze after, but it would have at least helped the water bars. Guns will go on tnrw afternoon, but after the best start since 18, this is a worst case scenario going into the holiday week.

NH even worse off as this was their second cutter (two weeks in a row ) but just crazy of a Grincher . Truly hate to see it after skiing several times already at Stowe . Ski carefully when trails reopen 

• Like 1

Saddleback just announced they will resume ski operations on Saturday. Not sure if anyone else has seen the video of the cliff trail at Stowe from this AM - bonkers. Screen shot of a social media post...this went on for quite a distance.

image.thumb.png.0f6fb8b81d3de24d00403a02a481eae4.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Saddleback just announced they will resume ski operations on Saturday. Not sure if anyone else has seen the video of the cliff trail at Stowe from this AM - bonkers. Screen shot of a social media post...this went on for quite a distance.

image.thumb.png.0f6fb8b81d3de24d00403a02a481eae4.png

Terrible (here's the full clip) https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1CWQGQucQ7/?igshid=MjJkMmIyYzQxYw%3D%3D

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

I used to drive this route to ski Smuggs weekly when I lived in Winooski (which I miss every day). This is just mind blowing to me! This scene should look like a Christmas card this time of year. Wow talk about a Super Grinch! Just awful! I really hope people get the help they need.

image.thumb.jpeg.0d58b9adc86427285e3cec16627134e4.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

holy shit, is that even fixable this time of year? How can you even bring back in all the dirt/rock that eroded? Hard to rely on just snow to fill the gap.

My guess is that they will probably try to use the fill from the sides in order to make it less severe.  That's what we try to do with snowmobile trails.