Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
July has arrived ... the Meteorologically defined mid summer month

Typhoon Tip

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m disappointed in your indoor temp and dew though. I’m still uninstalled here and embracing the dew. Let it right on in.

image.png

Temp of 82F?  Just doesn’t get hot there does it… can see why he loves the dews as it’s something that spot can excel at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I’m disappointed in your indoor temp and dew though. I’m still uninstalled here and embracing the dew. Let it right on in.

image.png

I don’t know understand why you don’t put in AC. What are you trying to prove? Like just install them and not worry about being hot. Is it some kind of badge of honor?

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t know understand why you don’t put in AC. What are you trying to prove? Like just install them and not worry about being hot. Is it some kind of badge of honor?

I’m not hot at all. Every night has been fine with the fans…low 70s at the worst. That bedroom temp is a little inflated in the afternoon because it’s on the west side.  But I tolerate the warmth and dews just fine. Trust me it’ll go in when we feel like we need it.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Talk about hype

NERainThruTues15Jul.webp

Maybe.  This is Ekster's short term discussion from GYX.

SHORT TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT/...
Flash flooding continues to be the main concern for tomorrow as
near record high PWAT values highlight a very moist air mass
coinciding with increased dynamics arriving with the low
pressure center. High res guidance continues to showcase the
training lines of torrential thunderstorms that put down 5-8" of
rain in spots, but continue to waiver all over New England as
to where the heaviest bands will set up. We know there will be
some notably higher totals in some places more than others, but
we continue to advise people to plan for 2-3 inches, and
understand that some areas will likely see more than double
that.

Oy!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Your dew tossed down the stairs into the basement just like the 2023 Yankees.

My dew is correct . Look at every other TOL site . You live in the woods and especially elevation. Dews always higher. Every TOL station currently is 74-77 . Except ORH of course which magically at high elevation runs lower :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I’m not hot at all. Every night has been fine with the fans…low 70s at the worst. That bedroom temp is a little inflated in the afternoon because it’s on the west side.  But I tolerate the warmth and dews just fine. Trust me it’ll go in when we feel like we need it.

Back when I was a young'un living in Long Island, our house had one window unit in the master bedroom.  I lot of nights sleeping in my underpants with an open window and a box fan.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

My dew is correct . Look at every other TOL site . You live in the woods and especially elevation. Dews always higher. Except ORH of course which magically at high elevation runs lower :lol:

I’m 615ft and my dew is too high usually too. I have a soaked yard with no air mixing. But even the sensors themselves seem to oversaturate in higher dewpoints. Our sensors calculate RH and calculates a dew from that. There’s some error. ASOS directly measures the dewpoint without an all-in-1 temp/hum sensor. 

I’m 615ft and my dew is too high usually too. I have a soaked yard with no air mixing. But even the sensors themselves seem to oversaturate in higher dewpoints. Our sensors calculate RH and calculates a dew from that. There’s some error. ASOS directly measures the dewpoint without an all-in-1 temp/hum sensor. 

Serious question. Why would the arid tarmac at BDL as river level be higher than ORH which has at least a little vegetation?

2 minutes ago, 512high said:

You and Tip have mentioned that about ASH being high (dews) but crap, wife and I and the dogs just came back from a walk, and my two cents are its dam close to 77.

Their sensor always seems to read high in the summer…especially in higher dews. They’re an AWOS and those older sensors were notorious for that. EEN and LCI used to have that problem as well. But ASH averages a good 2-3° too high this time of year.

image.png

• Thanks 1

Their sensor always seems to read high in the summer…especially in higher dews. They’re an AWOS and those older sensors were notorious for that. EEN and LCI used to have that problem as well. But ASH averages a good 2-3° too high this time of year.

image.png

I've always been curious about these plots. How is mean error obtained? 

7 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I've always been curious about these plots. How is mean error obtained? 

They don’t tell you what stations they use, but they compute a QC analysis for each variable using specific stations around the site. Then the error is calculated from that analysis. It’s not always perfect and there’s times you can toss it during mesoscale effects (ie a seabreeze only at BOS), but generally it works pretty well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Back when I was a young'un living in Long Island, our house had one window unit in the master bedroom.  I lot of nights sleeping in my underpants with an open window and a box fan.

Growing up we never had AC, I put my bed near a window with a box fan and slept about 2 feet from the window. Got me through most nights but some nights the fan didn't do squat and I didn't sleep. First thing I did when I got my own place was to get an AC, never looked back.

• Like 3