Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
July 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

I’m a few blocks east of Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. About the driest spot in the metro. 

Got caught up in a nice downpour driving south on 35W through Blaine earlier this afternoon. 

Nice!  I was just there last week showing my brother around Minneapolis.  I'm like 5 miles to your west and south near the Southdale Mall.  I saw that storm on the radar, but it just got dark here, no rain here for us.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

euro looks mcs-laden, should be a good stretch

This next weekend into early the following week will be the time, as the better flow and disturbance train returns.

Until then it looks to stay mostly zzz on the front of interesting wx.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Crazy amounts of smoke here at the surface all day today. Must be wild for all the GA planes flying VFR into EAA
Yeah. They said it was mostly gonna stay aloft...
I didn't check a whole lot, but I didn't see an AQI number on my phone today like I did for several consecutive days during the really bad smoke outbreak almost a month ago.

Edit: There is one on there; just saw it tick from 160 to 161.

13 hours ago, mhou said:

Nice!  I was just there last week showing my brother around Minneapolis.  I'm like 5 miles to your west and south near the Southdale Mall.  I saw that storm on the radar, but it just got dark here, no rain here for us.

Welcome to the board! I spent a frigid few winter days working outside Southdale in the lifetime fitness parking lot, they are planning on putting a high end apartment building there. 

Convection debris “saved” us yesterday as we barely topped out at 90 before an outflow boundary knocked us down to the lower 80s. 

Low of 70 overnight ensures the heat is off to the races today. 

• Like 1

Looks like a decent chc of stms later. Still have some smoke in the air, with high level clouds from the stm complex over NC MN. Temps subdued a bit from that. Point lowering my temps the next couple days. E winds will be more on tap, so upper 70's-low 80's at best during the brief heat wave this week. You boys from MSP (and the sub in general) sure are welcome to come on up, and enjoy the nicer wx up here this week. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder if we'll see some 90+ degree buoy readings on Lake Erie with the upcoming heat wave? Doesn't look like we'll be seeing those 101 degree SSTs they had off Key Largo, Florida, but 90 degrees is certainly a distinct possibility. 1 m water temperature up to 80 at the Toledo Crib. Reached 83 yesterday afternoon. Probably a decent chance of reaching into the 90s there in the coming days.

image.png.b31d5a0190fbe5d1fae0829d600de5d6.png

Source: NDBC - Station 45165 Recent Data (noaa.gov)

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

At first I thought it was an error because none of the other traditional cool spots even fell into the 30's, but apparently it's accurate.

Looks like 80 is not in play today.  Topped out at 78, now 77.

Got 80s in the Porcupine Mtns today

• Like 1

I saw a red sun tonight due to the forest fire smoke. There were just a few clouds in the way, about 20-30 min before sunset. A few clouds that looked pretty nice and pink. First quarter moon. Pretty hot for nighttime, but I guess it could be worse.

4 hours ago, Brian D said:

Big complex of shwrs/stms moving through W MN right now, and it's all heading my way. BRING IT! Need a good overnight soak :) 

Shifted southward towards the Cities. Missed me altogether. Darn, but they sure need it down there. Enjoy! :) 

• Like 2