• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

22 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Just a few short years ago I had 47 days at or above 90.

So far this year I'm at 14.

With MDT going another day without hitting 90, they have not hit that mark in Aug yet and appears they will not at least through the 19th having them go 21 straight days with no 90's.  The last time they had no 90's through the first 19 days of Aug was 2014.   Last year MDT had eight 90's in Aug by this day of the month.   They have had four 89's this month so it is not "winter like".  Maybe some 40's Sat AM? 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Do we even see a landfilling tropical storm from this?d9bf7a53c9d5a1256505754f99ba6dc5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Atlantic looks loaded and ready to pop. The yellow shaded area nearest to the Lesser Antilles does go through the herbert box which usually increases odds of a landfalling hurricane on the CONUS but that rule isn't fullproof obviously. Should be interesting tracking though

Atlantic looks loaded and ready to pop. The yellow shaded area nearest to the Lesser Antilles does go through the herbert box which usually increases odds of a landfalling hurricane on the CONUS but that rule isn't fullproof obviously. Should be interesting tracking though
I feel like it's been forever since we got a legit tropical system hitting us. I guess hazel is the top dog, but Isabel was 2003 and Jack since, if you gauge tropical systems on winds in our back yard. We seem due

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

I feel like it's been forever since we got a legit tropical system hitting us. I guess hazel is the top dog, but Isabel was 2003 and Jack since, if you gauge tropical systems on winds in our back yard. We seem due

East coast has been immensely lucky over the past couple decades with notable hurricanes. Parts of the coast have been overdue for a very long time like New England. Irene looked like it was ready to change that but weakened from a cat 3 to a cat 1 as it hugged up the coast. Sandy is notable but was not a true tropical system at landfall and was a hybrid so I don't really count that

East coast has been immensely lucky over the past couple decades with notable hurricanes. Parts of the coast have been overdue for a very long time like New England. Irene looked like it was ready to change that but weakened from a cat 3 to a cat 1 as it hugged up the coast. Sandy is notable but was not a true tropical system at landfall and was a hybrid so I don't really count that
A true New England storm wouldn't really effect CPA all that much. Truthfully I think a storm right up the Chesapeake Bay is much much rarer. Like for every 3-4 1938 storms we get 1 of those. Truly a 1 in 300-500 year storm.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Agreed. I think September and October will be gang busters. The African dust dies out and the SAT does too. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

With MDT going another day without hitting 90, they have not hit that mark in Aug yet and appears they will not at least through the 19th having them go 21 straight days with no 90's.  The last time they had no 90's through the first 19 days of Aug was 2014.   Last year MDT had eight 90's in Aug by this day of the month.   They have had four 89's this month so it is not "winter like".  Maybe some 40's Sat AM? 

This summer just has not been that bad. At least from my perspective and I hate heat. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

This summer just has not been that bad. At least from my perspective and I hate heat. 

I think it's been a fantastic summer.  We have a near-flawless stretch upcoming this weekend too.  Things look to turn dry but hey, we are approaching late August.  All in all, I think it's been a good mix of warm and cool, wet and dry, and just overall pleasant (minus the couple smoke days ha).  Low of 65 here.

46 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Currently 61 degrees.

We picked up 1.65” of rain from the storms overnight.

Montourville 2.49”

Bloomsburg  2.0”

I saw you guys had a flood advisory up that way.  Looks like you got the goods overnight.  Just .06" here.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Currently 61 degrees.

Montourville 2.49”

Bloomsburg  2.0”

Yes-storms in the Northern third of the state over-achieved. We received anouther 1.05" last night. Over 5" for the month. Cool and dry for the next few days. Looks awesome!

17 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I think it's been a fantastic summer.  We have a near-flawless stretch upcoming this weekend too.  Things look to turn dry but hey, we are approaching late August.  All in all, I think it's been a good mix of warm and cool, wet and dry, and just overall pleasant (minus the couple smoke days ha).  Low of 65 here.

I saw you guys had a flood advisory up that way.  Looks like you got the goods overnight.  Just .06" here.

Yes sir. 

I haven't had a single day that seriously threatened 100. We've had some stretches where the weather was very much summer-like. It's a phenomena that happens each year between May and September. And in some summers that weather is relentless, given that it's summer. That has not been the case this year. 

Nights are warmer than they were years ago. No denying that. But daytime highs have been pedestrian. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

.47 from the wind driven thunderstorm at 1:30 am.

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

Currently 61 degrees.

Montourville 2.49”

Bloomsburg  2.0”

According to my gauge, Tamaqua got 1.10" sometime overnight.

• Like 2

Yes sir. 
I haven't had a single day that seriously threatened 100. We've had some stretches where the weather was very much summer-like. It's a phenomena that happens each year between May and September. And in some summers that weather is relentless, given that it's summer. That has not been the case this year. 
Nights are warmer than they were years ago. No denying that. But daytime highs have been pedestrian. 

Compared to last summer this has been a dream. Last summer the overnight lows loved to be in the 70s. Humidity was brutal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Loyalsock and Muncy creeks are just roaring.

”Muncy Creek”

787567DB-CED9-4FAD-99E3-168E7C242D92.png

Thanks for sharing.  I have a weird interest in small stream data, or maybe it's just data that gets me ha.  Anyway, the highest crest ever for that location was from Lee on 9/7/11, at 23.06 ft.

Historic Crests
(1) 23.06 ft on 09/07/2011
(2) 20.57 ft on 01/19/1996
(3) 18.88 ft on 08/13/2018
(4) 18.00 ft on 01/25/2010
(5) 17.79 ft on 07/25/2018
(6) 17.20 ft on 03/10/2011
(7) 17.03 ft on 09/18/2004
(8) 16.23 ft on 12/25/2020
(9) 16.14 ft on 05/02/2017
(10) 16.12 ft on 07/24/2018

Recent Crests