• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

On 7/30/2023 at 4:44 PM, TheClimateChanger said:

Actually, looking a little closer at the map, it indicates this year has been 0.45F above the 1991-2020 mean. Using that anomaly, this would be the 20th warmest (of 129 years). I believe this is the better way to compare this data to the official numbers, since they might calculate somewhat different means.

Not sure yet where June & July two-month period will fall, but Ryan Maue says July will be 10-12th warmest in the rankings nationally.

Looking at the list, only 1936, 1934, 1901, 1931 & 1980 were the only pre-21st century years with hotter Julys than this year nationally.

8 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Not sure yet where June & July two-month period will fall, but Ryan Maue says July will be 10-12th warmest in the rankings nationally.

Looking at the list, only 1936, 1934, 1901, 1931 & 1980 were the only pre-21st century years with hotter Julys than this year nationally.

I wonder what caused the warm year back in 1901….those horse carriages must really have done it….?

9 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

This National average is also heavily impacted by the Summer heat in the South west.

Remember that the south west was very below normal this Winter thanks to our friend @Voyager

It’s just a balancing act to me…

• Like 2

An incredible 56 for the low this morning in Maytown. Blue skies east of town, a smoky haze to my west.

@Bubbler86 - very, very unusual for me to have a lower temp than you in the morning, especially on a day like this. I have to think it's in part due to the smoke. Much less over this way and we likely radiated out better. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

This National average is also heavily impacted by the Summer heat in the South west.

Remember that the south west was very below normal this Winter thanks to our friend @Voyager

It’s just a balancing act to me…

My neighbor said to me some 40 years ago and I remember to this day. When we were talking about weather extremes ie: heat, cold, droughts, floods. That mother nature always makes up for its self, I still believe that to this day.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

An incredible 56 for the low this morning in Maytown. Blue skies east of town, a smoky haze to my west.

@Bubbler86 - very, very unusual for me to have a lower temp than you in the morning, especially on a day like this. I have to think it's in part due to the smoke. Much less over this way and we likely radiated out better. 

The models last night were also showing the valleys lower than the higher spots.  

The yellow on this previous HRRR shows some of the higher elevations like mine and Western Adams (yellow meaning over or near 60).

image.thumb.png.0ddf220e74ac6d1233b15c08660aa7e7.png

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Doubtful. You observed only a 13.7F diurnal range in July. That has to be the smallest diurnal range on record, no?

I would argue that is an unnatural climate for anywhere in Pennsylvania. Even adjacent to Lake Erie, the diurnal range in Erie is typically larger than that. Philadelphia, in the core of the urban heat island, had a diurnal range of 16.7F. I have my doubts that a diurnal range that small is possible in a summer month in Pennsylvania, without some sort of external influence on the temperature.

The facts are not doubtful...the data is clear as stated above....can't change weather data after the fact!

Lows were well below normal this morning with temps in the low to mid-50's which is over 10 degrees below normal for today.
Below normal temps look to continue all week with an increasing chance of showers by Friday and Friday night.
Records for today: High 100 (1955) / Low 47 (1959) / Rain 2.00" (1950)
image.png.c0a64c5d0a9654440bb801a8f02281bd.png
  • Like 1

I see you all are already talking about heat. 

I just saw this on Twitter. Evidently Chile in South America -- which of course is currently experiencing winter -- is having quite a heat wave. 

I cannot explain it or understand how it can be but they have had temperatures over 100F! In winter! 

I am surprised this wasn't all over the news.

10 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

I see you all are already talking about heat. 

I just saw this on Twitter. Evidently Chile in South America -- which of course is currently experiencing winter -- is having quite a heat wave. 

I cannot explain it or understand how it can be but they have had temperatures over 100F! In winter! 

I am surprised this wasn't all over the news.

Chile is a crazy county in that is it is so long.  It is like comparing temps in PA and Florida in Winter.  I think it is normally hot all year in the Northern Chile desert but not sure about the Andes area so would be interesting to hear more about this if anyone has more details.  Did not see much on a quick Google search. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Chile is a crazy county in that is it is so long.  It is like comparing temps in PA and Florida in Winter.  I think it is normally hot all year in the Northern Chile desert but not sure about the Andes area so would be interesting to hear more about this if anyone has more details.  Did not see much on a quick Google search. 

I don't think those areas have nearly the seasonal variations that we do. Nevertheless, some areas have reached all-time record highs, so it is certainly way out of the norms either way (as evidenced by those ECMWF maps showing 20C + anomalies in spots). It appears some of the extreme warmth is being driven by Foehn winds, also known as Chinook winds in North America (i.e., extreme compressional heating downwind of the mountain peaks).

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I don't think those areas have nearly the seasonal variations that we do. Nevertheless, some areas have reached all-time record highs, so it is certainly way out of the norms either way (as evidenced by those ECMWF maps showing 20C + anomalies in spots). It appears some of the extreme warmth is being driven by Foehn winds, also known as Chinook winds in North America (i.e., extreme compressional heating downwind of the mountain peaks).

Sorry, for off-topic, but I wasn't the one who brought up Chile. Just for additional context, here are the records for La Serena, Chile in the Coquimba region where the heat has been most pronounced. While average highs are lower this time of the year, some of the warmest readings on record have occurred in the wintertime. In general, it's a very temperate location that has never exceeded 28.5C. So while the intensity of the heat is very impressive, and perhaps unprecedented, the fact that it's occurring in the middle of winter is not particularly noteworthy. These areas do not experience winters like we do here in the United States. Instead, it's only a little bit cooler than summertime but with more daily variability.

image.png.df338ef9c00ac6b009c0daabe521038a.png

11 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

This story got covered by the Washington Post. The comments people left on this Tweet are contradictory and people are arguing a lot. Maybe others will get more out of them them than I did. But by being covered by the Washington Post, more people should be talking about and covering this, which should be a plus for everyone.

• Like 1

A pretty progressive and generally near normal temperature pattern looks to continue over the next week. Humidity will be a bit higher then the last couple days but still below normal temps. Rain chances increase tomorrow into the evening but then another beautiful weekend with temps rising to slightly above normal on Sunday before another cold front swings through on Monday drop us back to normal to slightly below.
Records for today: High 96 (1957) / Low 48 (1964) / Rain 1.36" (1898)
image.png.4167c4f817124b3818c5334ccf7ac4bd.png