• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Summer 2023

9 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Wow how much better does this air feel!? Just leaving our party up in Morgantown, where we did catch the edge of some storms. As others have said, the wind was intense at times. We had some branches down and had to hold down the tents. A great day though!

Was at a party and in the pool and the wind took out the big tent they had setup for food 

• Like 1

A beauty of a day on tap for today with high temperatures remaining below normal in the 70's. Some spots in the County may not see an 80 degree temp again until next Saturday. In additional to cooler than normal daytime temps the nightime lows will be in the 50's Monday through Wednesday night. The first day our average low temperatures return to the 50's in not until September 1st. In fact if the GFS model is to be believed we should see below normal temperatures continuing through at least Mid-August!

image.thumb.png.11a2f8e03016c03875e9f905667e29cc.png

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

But, but…. Um… I thought that we were literally going through the hottest Summer in the history of forever & stuff… 

Lol !!!!

A bit of a straw man. No one has said it’s been the hottest summer on record in the US.

With that said, the map is a bit misleading. It looks like it’s pretty typical but in reality it has been more than 1 degree above the 20th century mean. Obviously, these are unofficial, preliminary numbers, and the mean will likely tack on another tenth or so as the last two days of July are incorporated into the mix. Even so, this would be 29th warmest (of 129 years). Limiting to years prior to 2000, it would be 14th warmest (of 106 years). So it’s still a very warm start to summer nationally either way. I suspect the official ranking for that period to be somewhat higher.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

A bit of a straw man. No one has said it’s been the hottest summer on record in the US.

With that said, the map is a bit misleading. It looks like it’s pretty typical but in reality it has been more than 1 degree above the 20th century mean. Obviously, these are unofficial, preliminary numbers, and the mean will likely tack on another tenth or so as the last two days of July are incorporated into the mix. Even so, this would be 29th warmest (of 129 years). Limiting to years prior to 2000, it would be 14th warmest (of 106 years). So it’s still a very warm start to summer nationally either way. I suspect the official ranking for that period to be somewhat higher.

Actually, looking a little closer at the map, it indicates this year has been 0.45F above the 1991-2020 mean. Using that anomaly, this would be the 20th warmest (of 129 years). I believe this is the better way to compare this data to the official numbers, since they might calculate somewhat different means.

1 minute ago, Bubbler86 said:

Just about every model I looked at shows rain in the Southern LSV tonight/tomorrow AM.    Fingers crossed. It is a piece of energy diving by from Western PA to the DelMarVa

CTP mentioned I believe that essentially the southern tier stands the best (maybe only) chance at seeing rain overnight. Let's hope that it's a Franklin Flyer. 

• Like 1

That map can’t be right for Texas. Austin had had 25 days over 100 in a row now. Most ever. 
In June Austin mean temperature was 83.8, normal 82.2 so +1.6.

July through 7/29 mean temperature has been 87.3 with normal 84.5 so 2.8

So for those 59 days mean temperature has been 85.5 with normal being 83.2.
2.3 degrees above normal.

Also remember that Austin normal average high in July is 96. Hitting a 100 there is like KMDT hitting 91

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1