Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Have a pair of TORs for Lancco and Chesco.

I know it is unstable out there for anyone who hasn't already had a pop-up (although some of the pop-ups have been making the humidity worse).

Currently 84 with dp 77 here.  Got up to a high of 88 earlier (so far).

kdix_20230702_2310_BR_0.5.png

That cells spinning on all the radars and even the terminals our of BWI and PHI. 100% needs that TOR.

I chased that storm in Kutztown and near Allentown that was tornado warned earlier. I was basically under the core of the rotation, just SE of it in a safer location. There was some scud clouds and maybe a little bit of visible rotation, but no funnel. Regardless, still a wild storm and crazy with the multiple tornado warnings and confirmed reported funnels/tornados today. Not entirely surprised though. Some of our best setups are when we have MCVs move through to the north, like today, and you get some pretty strong directional shear that storms can tap into 

Supposed TOR passed close to my parent's place down near Lincoln U. TOO close. That cell was trudging straight east out of Quarryville and then turned to the SE with a definite couplet visible on relative velocity. I actually called my mom to make sure they were ok.

I would not be surprised if there's storm damage and possibly a track across Rt. 1 near the 896 exit. Guess we'll find out tomorrow, though I'm not seeing anything on CAD (https://www.chesco.org/3963/WebCad-Active-Incidents) so maybe it never touched down at all. Still, scary stuff.

Oh, and I'm at .14" for the day. On the third day of previously forecasted, all-day rain and storms. What a joke. Something's wrong--predictability has absolutely gone down the toilet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Supposed TOR passed close to my parent's place down near Lincoln U. TOO close. That cell was trudging straight east out of Quarryville and then turned to the SE with a definite couplet visible on relative velocity. I actually called my mom to make sure they were ok.

I would not be surprised if there's storm damage and possibly a track across Rt. 1 near the 896 exit. Guess we'll find out tomorrow, though I'm not seeing anything on CAD (https://www.chesco.org/3963/WebCad-Active-Incidents) so maybe it never touched down at all. Still, scary stuff.

Oh, and I'm at .14" for the day. On the third day of previously forecasted, all-day rain and storms. What a joke. Something's wrong--predictability has absolutely gone down the toilet.

A spotter near Lincoln U reported a funnel.

Screenshot 2023-07-02 195159.png

• Confused 1

Over the past 10 days it looks as if the south mountain range that ends in Easton/Bethlehem and starts in Reading area is splitting these storms deflecting storms to the north towards the blue mountain and south toward northern philly burbs. It makes no sense as the topographic feature is equivalent to a hill in many parts of the country, but it certainly looks like it on radar.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Another TOR lofted including Northern Montco.

kdix_20230702_2255_BR_0.5.png

Scary - loud alert came on my phone and we are in a hotel that doesn’t seem to have much protocol. My mom and I just went to the lobby area. I still am in the Royersford area. Luckily they canceled this warning.

9 minutes ago, BBasile said:

The tornado warned storm in Delware during sunset looked quite stunning from Jersey.   

20230702_203003~2.jpg

It was impressive looking from here too, got about 0.10" of rain from it at least.

These pics are looking 1st SW, then SE (with a faint rainbow), and finally NE. Nice tower!

0702232026a_copy_543x724.jpg.b6c049b12640248f8c4e75599454bc87.jpg

0702232027_copy_2205x2544_copy_583x672.jpg.06d5417027781854b1069c9abfe0ba50.jpg

0702232028_copy_513x685.jpg.f30841c1c4089d3d7393296a8d6b2548.jpg

• Like 3

FINALLY a direct hit from a passing cell. Can't wait to add another couple of hundredths to the tally. I'm running my soaker hoses at the moment anyway; my tomatoes were struggling.

I am finally getting hit as well. I am in heaven! Already a third of an inch and still pouring. This line was a much better angle coming from the west-northwest.

5 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Nice light show from that cell NE of Doylestown! Gotta be at least 40 miles from here.

Was outside, could definitely see it as I'm closer than you, vivid. It's out by New Hope now.

Stuff out by Pitt may be a pre-dawn follow up...

77F/DP 72F

pre.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah I expect they EAS broadcast to any (enabled) phone within a TOR Warning's area (and have done it with FFWs, SSWs, etc).  I know my weather radio (Sangean) will suddenly go to a real loud volume with TORs and I have to scramble to turn it down.

I’m hard of hearing, so I don’t mind it being loud. But yes, I can see rushing to turn it down. It said “you are in imminent danger,” and yes I dropped some things I was doing at the time. I ended up with little more than some rain. I feel lucky.

.33" for the day. I'll take it. Forecast says .5" tomorrow. I remain skeptical. Still, it IS crazy humid outside. AND my new A/C is acting up again. Three technician visits in two months? Time to start replacing all the things, and making it work, or what? I dunno what to do at this point. Court? Do lemon laws apply to A/C systems? We did a ton of research for the right system and now we're feeling a little bit jaded. We had such high hopes, but it's turning out to be a complete quagmire. I am spitting mad right now. /rant

1 minute ago, CoolHandMike said:

.33" for the day. I'll take it. Forecast says .5" tomorrow. I remain skeptical. Still, it IS crazy humid outside. AND my new A/C is acting up again. Three technician visits in two months? Time to start replacing all the things, and making it work, or what? I dunno what to do at this point. Court? Do lemon laws apply to A/C systems? We did a ton of research for the right system and now we're feeling a little bit jaded. We had such high hopes, but it's turning out to be a complete quagmire. I am spitting mad right now. /rant

It's gotta be under some sort of warranty if just purchased. Tell them you're sick of their service men not finding a solution and you want a new one. I'd be pissed. I rather have my heater break during winter than A/C during summer and it's not even close...

76F/DP 72F

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

It's gotta be under some sort of warranty if just purchased. Tell them you're sick of their service men not finding a solution and you want a new one. I'd be pissed. I rather have my heater break during winter than A/C during summer and it's not even close...

76F/DP 72F

Yeah it's warrantied for a year and we are planning on buying the 10-year follow-up maintenance plan. They just need to get it to work consistently. We cannot be the only people to have this system installed; it's becoming increasingly frustrating why they can't seem to get it right. Planning on having strong words with their support in the morning and escalating as necessary. (Not going to go full on rage mode on the dispatcher, because it's not their fault and I'm not a jerk to people just doing their job. But this needs to be escalated, and it will be, so help me jebus.)

73°F/72 DP it's just gross outside right now, but at least the smoke has finally abated. It's 77 in my office right now. A/C is blowing at 65°F through the vents and barely making an impact. Ceiling fans and stand-alone oscillating fans will get us through the night at least.