• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

Question. When does NWS come out to do damage assesment for a possible tornado? Do they get called, or do they go off what was on radar at that time?

Lot of us here in Exton are pretty sure a tornado touched down Monday night. About 2 miles of damage in a consolodated area.  Guessing a EF-0 or 1. Don't think it was a straight line cause the trees are twisted in different directions. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Question. When does NWS come out to do damage assesment for a possible tornado? Do they get called, or do they go off what was on radar at that time?

Lot of us here in Exton are pretty sure a tornado touched down Monday night. About 2 miles of damage in a consolodated area.  Guessing a EF-0 or 1. Don't think it was a straight line cause the trees are twisted in different directions. 

They posted a PNS for the assessment of 2 tornadoes but neither there - 

NOUS41 KPHI 272114 RRA
PNSPHI
DEZ001>004-MDZ012-015-019-020-NJZ001-007>010-012>027-PAZ054-055-
060>062-070-071-101>106-280915-

Public Information Statement...DELAYED
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
514 PM EDT Tue Jun 27 2023

...NWS Damage Survey for 06/26/2023 Tornado Event...

.Overview...

Severe thunderstorms produced two brief tornadoes on June 26, 
2023. One occurred in northeastern Northampton County, 
Pennsylvania and the other in northern Somerset County, New 
Jersey.

...Martins Creek, PA Tornado...

Rating:                 EF0
Estimated Peak Wind:    65 mph
Path Length /statute/:  3.37 miles
Path Width /maximum/:   60 yards
Fatalities:             0
Injuries:               0

Start Date:             06/26/2023
Start Time:             02:58 PM EDT
Start Location:         2 W Roxburg / Northampton County / PA
Start Lat/Lon:          40.7904 / -75.1453

End Date:               06/26/2023
End Time:               03:04 PM EDT
End Location:           1 WSW Belvidere / Northampton County / PA
End Lat/Lon:            40.8228 / -75.0973

Survey Summary:
NWS Survey found several wheat fields to the west of Martins 
Creek Belvidere Highway showing convergent damage patterns along 
a narrow path. In the absence of additional damage indicators, NWS
surveyors used wheat crop damage to confirm EF0 damage using the 
DI of small branches broken. To the west of the damage path, there
were several additional fields showing damage that were more 
consistent with divergent straight line winds.

The National Weather Service survey team would like to thank 
Northampton County Emergency Management for their assistance with 
this survey.

...Bernardsville, NJ Tornado...
The NWS survey team has confirmed a tornado occurred in the 
Bernardsville area.

More details, including the path length and path width, will be 
available on June 28, 2023 and will be transmitted via Public 
Information Statement. 

&&

EF Scale: The Enhanced Fujita Scale classifies tornadoes into the
following categories:

EF0...Weak......65 to 85 mph
EF1...Weak......86 to 110 mph
EF2...Strong....111 to 135 mph
EF3...Strong....136 to 165 mph
EF4...Violent...166 to 200 mph
EF5...Violent...>200 mph

NOTE:
The information in this statement is preliminary and subject to
change pending final review of the event and publication in
NWS Storm Data.

$$

AKL/Deal/Robertson

I know sometimes it can be difficult to pick out a tornado if rain-enshrouded but I expect they go by both radar-indicated and nearby spotters.  You can go through the LSRs for 6/26 - 6/27 here to see if there are any from your area - https://www.weather.gov/wrh/TextProduct?product=lsrphi

As an obs, there is a strange orb in the sky that I haven't seen much of the past couple days that was not trying to peep out between a deck of clouds.

I bottomed out at 64 this morning and am currently at 73 with dp 69.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

They posted a PNS for the assessment of 2 tornadoes but neither there - 

I know sometimes it can be difficult to pick out a tornado if rain-enshrouded but I expect they go by both radar-indicated and nearby spotters.  You can go through the LSRs for 6/26 - 6/27 here to see if there are any from your area - https://www.weather.gov/wrh/TextProduct?product=lsrphi

As an obs, there is a strange orb in the sky that I haven't seen much of the past couple days that was not trying to peep out between a deck of clouds.

I bottomed out at 64 this morning and am currently at 73 with dp 69.

8de9010481e05e1045921d0abb3516c8.jpg

:lol:

• Haha 1

Wow.  I had noticed the alert went up and actually saw that it wasn't the usual "orange" one but was a "red" one. :o

Was at the supermarket a couple hours ago and the smoke hadn't quite gotten here but it is hazy here now.

I recently bought a (replacement) PM 2.5 meter for outside and it has been creeping up.

The humidity hasn't gone down much either and it is pretty muggy out.  Currently hazy and 79 with dp 68.

wildfire-pm2.5-outside-125pm-06282023.PNG

Good night for my brand-spanking new heat pump A/C to quit working. AQI is hovering around 100, so opening the windows is risky, but without A/C my house is at 78°F and will take considerable amount of time to cool down as the front of the house (mostly brick) just bakes in the afternoon sun. Called and left a message for them to come out first thing in the morning, but now I'm debating having an emergency service call. Currently 73 outside right now, and I know it's supposed to get down to ~60-ish, so I think we'll be fine; it could be much hotter/humid outside. Still. Not happy--this'll be the second service call in two months for the same issue.

Mind you--I'M fine to wait for the morning, but I have people under my roof who are immunocompromised and suffer from asthma/allergies out the wazoo. It has not been a, shall we say, comfortable time for all of us these past few years.

As soon as it cools down enough, I'll close all the windows and just run the system on "fan only" so at least we will gain the benefit of filtration.

• Weenie 1

Bottomed out at 60 this morning and it's currently 70 with dp a little lower than the past couple days, at 63.

PM 2.5 (localized) is creeping up! 

I know different sources use different ranges for color-coding so at least for my Ambient PM 2.5, it listed this -

The following describes the Air Quality Index (AQI) vs. PM2.5 breakpoints.

AQI Category: Breakpoints

• Good: 0.0 – 12.0 (µg/m3
  • Moderate: 12.1 – 35.4 (µg/m3)
  • Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups: 35.5 – 55.4 (µg/m3)
  • Unhealthy: 55.5 – 150.4 (µg/m3)
  • Very Unhealthy: 150.5 – 250.4 (µg/m3)
  • Hazardous: 250.5 – 350.4 (µg/m3)
  • Extremely Hazardous: 350.5 – 500 (µg/m3)

wildfire-pm2.5-outside-816am-06292023.PNG

airnow-gov-813am-06292023.PNG

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Bottomed out at 60 this morning and it's currently 70 with dp a little lower than the past couple days, at 63.

PM 2.5 (localized) is creeping up! 

I know different sources use different ranges for color-coding so at least for my Ambient PM 2.5, it listed this -

wildfire-pm2.5-outside-816am-06292023.PNG

airnow-gov-813am-06292023.PNG

For the most part, news stations are using the bottom image from the airnow.gov site. I use the same.

163 AQI

65F/DP 63F 

31 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

For the most part, news stations are using the bottom image from the airnow.gov site. I use the same.

163 AQI

65F/DP 63F 

Yeah the graph is just color-coded ranges and that bottom number is reflected in it.  But I only mentioned because of how mine is doing ''color coding".  I know it's not a pro device but it is supposed to be a decent amateur one and is one of a number of others (a popular one being "PurpleAir") where some have talked about correction factors and whatnot as compared to AirNow (e.g., one discussion about PurpleAir vs AirNow -https://thebolditalic.com/understanding-purpleair-vs-airnow-gov-measurements-of-wood-smoke-pollution-562923a55226).

(and to clarify - the top image is my own sensor - an Ambient PM 2.5 out on my patio)

Edit to add a wow on mine (and the 8am AirNow)!

wildfire-pm2.5-outside-848am-06292023.PNG

airnow-gov-8am-reading-848am-06292023.PNG

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah the graph is just color-coded ranges and that bottom number is reflected in it.  But I only mentioned because of how mine is doing ''color coding".  I know it's not a pro device but it is supposed to be a decent amateur one and is one of a number of others (a popular one being "PurpleAir") where some have talked about correction factors and whatnot as compared to AirNow (e.g., one discussion about PurpleAir vs AirNow -https://thebolditalic.com/understanding-purpleair-vs-airnow-gov-measurements-of-wood-smoke-pollution-562923a55226).

Yours would possible confuse (color) certain people who don't follow weather.We are currently under code red and NJ code orange. (NWS) Your graph doesn't have a red and the orange is where the red should be.

Either way, anyone with half of brain cell can just look to the sky/smell/breathe and know it's not the best of air quality out there....   

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yours would possible confuse (color) certain people who don't follow weather.We are currently under code red and NJ code orange. (NWS) Your graph doesn't have a red and the orange is where the red should be.

Either way, anyone with half of brain cell can just look to the sky/smell/breathe and know it's not the best of air quality out there....   

Those "codes" that you are talking about are what the "Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission" uses to issue their "Alerts" (they are a general alert "type" that doesn't get granular) -

Air Quality Alert

PAZ070-071-101>106-300400-
Eastern Chester-Western Chester-Eastern Montgomery-Western
Montgomery-Upper Bucks-Lower Bucks-Delaware-Philadelphia-
345 PM EDT Wed Jun 28 2023

...AIR QUALITY ALERT IS IN EFFECT FOR THURSDAY JUNE 29...

The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission has issued
a code red air quality alert Thursday for The Philadelphia
Metro area.

A code red air quality alert means that air pollution
concentrations within the region are unhealthful for the general
population. The effects of air pollution can be minimized by
avoiding strenuous activity or exercise outdoors.

For more information on ground-level ozone and fine
particles...visit http://www.phila.gov/health/units/ams/

$$

That is different from the color-coding used by EPA with their "AirNow" site (and any used for other air quality sensors/monitors), which actually gets into the weeds with PM 2.5 particle amounts.

I also have an indoor PM 2.5, PM 10, and CO2 monitor that measures those readings inside (yes geek :lol:).

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Those "codes" that you are talking about are what the "Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission" uses to issue their "Alerts" (they are a general alert "type" that doesn't get granular) -

That is different from the color-coding used by EPA with their "AirNow" site (and any used for other air quality sensors/monitors), which actually gets into the weeds with PM 2.5 particle amounts.

I also have an indoor PM 2.5, PM 10, and CO2 monitor that measures those readings inside (yes geek :lol:).

Lol, I'm all confused now.

Doesn't matter, I won't pay attention anyhow and go on my way regardless...

69F/DP 63F

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Lol, I'm all confused now.

Doesn't matter, I won't pay attention anyhow and go on my way regardless...

69F/DP 63F

Those "Air Quality Alerts" are like how they did those old "Homeland Security Advisories" -

1200px-Hsas-chart_with_header.svg.png

:lol:

In any case, my temp is now up to 74 and the dp is 64, with hazy skies.  And as a sidenote, I had a fledgling robin out on my back patio steps late yesterday afternoon, with a mama feeding it just as I opened the door.  The mama was incensed , cursed me out in "robin-screech", and flew to a nearby tree.   I still had to go out there so stepped around it to do what I needed to do and came back in.  Haven't checked this morning to see if it was still out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

What about those of us who are color blind? Will someone please let me know when it's time to worry?

72F/DP 63F

We gotchu, JTA66:

8VWZ3wl.png

Just hope you don't live downwind from that Merck site. Either that sensor is permanently funky, or there's always some seriously nasty shiz in the air:

ttKHWjS.png

Both of these sensors are in this snapshot of the AQI fire map:

YSrXtbq.png

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

We gotchu, JTA66:

8VWZ3wl.png

Just hope you don't live downwind from that Merck site. Either that sensor is permanently funky, or there's always some seriously nasty shiz in the air:

ttKHWjS.png

Both of these sensors are in this snapshot of the AQI fire map:

YSrXtbq.png

Merck isn't the only pharmaceutical Company around here, Colorcon is right down the road and I think there's another. Surprised I haven't met someone with 3 eyes and 1 ear... 

Another below normal temperature day today - this makes 24 of 29 days this month running colder than normal. Smoke from our friends in Canada will continue to be an issue today and tomorrow. Rain chances ramp up by Friday night into the holiday weekend.
Records for today: The earliest 100 degree reading in Chester County history occurred today back when we used to see hot weather... way back in 1934. Low 45 (1919) / Rain 2.40" (1973)
image.png.575a4deb020a0ef30c618e51ea4e22ca.png

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Merck isn't the only pharmaceutical Company around here, Colorcon is right down the road and I think there's another. Surprised I haven't met someone with 3 eyes and 1 ear... 

True. I just happen to know that Merck site is undergoing environmental remediation for all the toxic crap they produced there.

https://www.epa.gov/hwcorrectiveactioncleanups/hazardous-waste-cleanup-merck-sharp-and-dohme-corporation-west-point

Even more OT, the A/C guy found out some settings that were wrong from the initial installation in May, as well as a loose wire behind the thermostat, which he was super happy to show to me. I remain skeptical, but at least it's working again. For now.

Back OT: our AQI appears to be getting worse:

4TWKnmX.png

10 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

True. I just happen to know that Merck site is undergoing environmental remediation for all the toxic crap they produced there.

https://www.epa.gov/hwcorrectiveactioncleanups/hazardous-waste-cleanup-merck-sharp-and-dohme-corporation-west-point

Even more OT, the A/C guy found out some settings that were wrong from the initial installation in May, as well as a loose wire behind the thermostat, which he was super happy to show to me. I remain skeptical, but at least it's working again. For now.

Back OT: our AQI appears to be getting worse:

4TWKnmX.png

Funny thing, I use to live in Linfield PA (next to Limerick) and the Power Plants were really close. I could see them/steam flowing out. I seem to be attracted to toxic stuff/surroundings.

Although the air quality sucks, be glad it wasn't 95F+ when A/C was down. Hopefully the settings problem is solved permanently...

76F/DP 65F

AQI 183 

• Like 1