Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Drought 2023

nwohweather

9 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

If we don't get any precip here and push into July, I think we could see something like 1936, but add 100 years of warming.  MKE could make a run at 110.

1936 was mostly a paper tiger. Other than an 8-day heat wave, it was a very pleasant summer by modern standards. It was only hot in places where nobody lived. Keep in mind, too, that there was only 2.21" of rain at MKE in June & July combined. So you know dewpoints were likely in the 40s and 50s during the heat wave. Might not have even reached heat advisory status, since the apparent temperature would have been lower than the actual temperature.

June

image.png.f3fde51eb4d8331346a70c05a34e0628.png

July

image.png.e7cf45076ced64a91e3cd6de93ee69d5.png

*Excepting the 8-day period from 7/7 to 7/14, the mean high and low were 77.0F/63.7F, with a mean monthly temperature of 70.3F.

August

image.png.b6ebdebcf6f951498b0be60363ad06a9.png

5 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

1936 was mostly a paper tiger. Other than an 8-day heat wave, it was a very pleasant summer by modern standards. It was only hot in places where nobody lived. Keep in mind, too, that there was only 2.21" of rain at MKE in June & July combined. So you know dewpoints were likely in the 40s and 50s during the heat wave. Might not have even reached heat advisory status, since the apparent temperature would have been lower than the actual temperature.

June

image.png.f3fde51eb4d8331346a70c05a34e0628.png

July

image.png.e7cf45076ced64a91e3cd6de93ee69d5.png

*Excepting the 8-day period from 7/7 to 7/14, the mean high and low were 77.0F/63.7F, with a mean monthly temperature of 70.3F.

August

image.png.b6ebdebcf6f951498b0be60363ad06a9.png

And for clarification, these were observed at the Federal Building, which was warmer than the current airport location. As you can see from this record for July 1945 below, the airport was found to be 1.9 degrees cooler than the downtown observation site. In 1945, the normal temperatures at the airport for the month of July were a high of 76.3F, a low of 60.0F, and a mean of 68.2F. At the downtown office, the normals were a high of 78.2F, a low of 62.0F, and a mean of 70.1F. So the temperatures in July 1936 at Milwaukee would have been 4.8F above the mean for downtown (or a whopping 6.7F above the mean for the airport site, which didn't yet exist). However, it is only 1.6F warmer than the modern normal for the airport site.

When you go back through these old records, it's always incredible to see how much it's warmed. The normal July mean temperature in that era was 5.1F colder than the modern normal mean temperature. The normal high was only 3.0F warmer than the modern normal mean temperature. And the normal temperatures were much closer to modern June normal temperatures than modern July normal temperatures. Note also that these were rooftop measurements, which Watts et al. has shown can be substantially warmer than ground-based measurements.  With proper siting and exposure, it may have been even cooler than reported. Source: How not to measure temperature, part 48. NOAA cites errors with Baltimore's Rooftop USHCN Station 

Heck of a way to run the so-called "Hottest Summer on Record."

image.thumb.png.649fdcc101fda9732ae6c8a768e2b480.png

image.thumb.png.a2e36ca1368d3edb97ebbd5cb5775de2.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I'm amazed at how well the corn still looks around here.  It may be a bit behind in height, but it is still green and growing.  This modern era frankencorn must have roots that go down 10 times deeper than normal corn, that's the only way it's getting any moisture for growth/life.

I have an acre of 4 varieties of old open pollinated corn planted in the same field as a modern hybrid. Herbicide program is different. The modern corn got a pre-emerge spray with Dual Magnum+Atrazine+Callisto. The open pollinated heirloom corn didn’t get a pre-emerge spray but got Atrazine+Impact post plus one pass with cultivator and I’m going to do a clean up for waterhemp with Callisto. I’ll go out tomorrow with tape measure and confirmation on planting dates but it’s very hard to tell the difference at this point visually. The modern hybrid got planted at 34k population and the heirloom OP corn got planted at 24k population. This is going to be a good test year for this little plot.

25 minutes ago, DLMKA said:

I have an acre of 4 varieties of old open pollinated corn planted in the same field as a modern hybrid. Herbicide program is different. The modern corn got a pre-emerge spray with Dual Magnum+Atrazine+Callisto. The open pollinated heirloom corn didn’t get a pre-emerge spray but got Atrazine+Impact post plus one pass with cultivator and I’m going to do a clean up for waterhemp with Callisto. I’ll go out tomorrow with tape measure and confirmation on planting dates but it’s very hard to tell the difference at this point visually. The modern hybrid got planted at 34k population and the heirloom OP corn got planted at 24k population. This is going to be a good test year for this little plot.

Atrazine... nasty stuff, be careful with it. Potent endocrine disruptor, which has been observed to turn male frogs into females.

Source: https://news.berkeley.edu/2010/03/01/frogs/

12 hours ago, RCNYILWX said:

Could very well be a gap situation, where better convective coverage ends up east of us Sunday PM after being west of us Saturday night.

I’m used to convection playing hop scotch IMBY.  Really need a strongly forced nocturnal event to do anything good here as lake breeze divergence is still very hostile to afternoon development this time of year.  I can’t even remember the last nocturnal warm front event here.  Even last year lacked them.  Its like the lack of clippers in winter.

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This guy's daily briefings on YouTube are great.  He goes into detail about the drought and why it continues to be so difficult to get rain in our region.

He was a fantastic UIUC atmospheric sciences professor!

48 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

This guy's daily briefings on YouTube are great.  He goes into detail about the drought and why it continues to be so difficult to get rain in our region.

Is he trustworthy? I see some of these "agwx" gurus on Twitter, and they can be quite cocky. At least BamWx acknowledged their forecasted pattern change didn't materialize, but DT is like the left-wing Q-anon with rain always two weeks away. He's been going on about widespread rains in the Cornbelt in two weeks seemingly for a month now.

54 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Seems like a classic El Nino jet split has been causing the drought here.  Its normally a winter pattern, but this El Nino is on the roids.  It also causes anomalous heat and rainy season failure / drought in Central America, particularly west of the divide.

4 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Much worse for WI. We'd barely even started at this point that year!

Unlike this year there were a lot of ridge-riders that year in May/June.  It was very scattered / hit-and-miss but there was actual weather around.  This year instead of a classic death ridge we’ve been having rex blocks extending all the way to Hudson Bay with cutoff troughs hanging out to the south.  Far more boring pattern this year.

• Sad 1