Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Drought 2023

nwohweather

4 hours ago, Lightning said:

It is very nice to see/get a good rain.  While not a ton but definitely a good start.

I really fear the lake shadow screw zone this weekend.  Just give me a damn warm front.  What ever happened to warm fronts anyways?  Its like they don’t exist anymore.

Once again, I must say that this just nuts. For the entire time I've been watching weather since 2002, drought flops back and forth between the Southeast and the western half of the country. This year, there seems to be undeniable tendency for the atmosphere to stop the rain over central Midwest over to NW Ohio and Michigan.

Today was kind of rainy...

stageiv_qpe_168h_p.conus (2).png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frostfern said:

I really fear the lake shadow screw zone this weekend.  Just give me a damn warm front.  What ever happened to warm fronts anyways?  Its like they don’t exist anymore.

I think you will do okay.  I know what you mean about the warm front/ nocturnal events.  It's crazy how few there have been the past few years.  

5 hours ago, WestMichigan said:

Ended up with a little over 1.5" here today.  Thankfully the lake shadow didn't seem to come into play.

Only 0.5 here.  Not a lake shadow problem so much as fast storm motion and high variability.  The small cellular stuff that was popping out ahead of the main line kept missing northwest, then the main line gusted through very fast.  Intense but very short storm.

3 hours ago, frostfern said:

Only 0.5 here.  Not a lake shadow problem so much as fast storm motion and high variability.  The small cellular stuff that was popping out ahead of the main line kept missing northwest, then the main line gusted through very fast.  Intense but very short storm.

Yeah pretty common for the fast moving lines of storms.  Got about 3/4" around here.  I much prefer nocturnal training storms.  I will say I don't mind missing out on the tornadoes.

Just west of Peoria and got enough rain to wet the sidewalk. I’m going to have to haul a bunch of water from the neighbor’s pond to get pumpkins to germinate and hope for some substantial enough rain to get some pumpkins for fall. Have 2 acres of them planted.

6 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Yeah, GFS and now NAM suggesting any potential late week RoF will set up a little further south than most I-80 and north folks would like.

The next system is probably a miss south for you and me, but the pattern is at least looking better now.  It looks progressive with no return to blocking, and the next system after that might be stronger and farther north (though a long ways out, unfortunately).  Baby steps at least.  

5 minutes ago, frostfern said:

Gonna miss the main LLJ event by a long shot, but trying to be hopeful there will be a secondary batch with the upper level system coming in from the NW Thursday.

Sometimes it’s better to miss it by a long shot. If it just barely misses then you’re usually screwed for getting anything.

Just now, roardog said:

Sometimes it’s better to miss it by a long shot. If it just barely misses then you’re usually screwed for getting anything.

Yea.  Hate when decaying blobs of evaporating anvil precip ruin chances of anything at all.  I just want one good LLJ event this summer.  Been screwed for years here it seems.

The region-wide drought may get a kick in the nuts over the next couple weeks... especially south of I-80.  I just hope the storm complexes don't continuously reinforce the boundary south and prevent good rain from reaching areas farther north.

image.thumb.png.d7a8e5b3d7fa0cb85fae4c813689e42c.png

This is what I'm worried about... the op Euro scenario.  A corridor from Nebraska to the Ohio Valley gets drought-denting rain, maybe even more, while pockets north of I-80 get little to nothing.

image.thumb.png.608532bf700480eb48beb553a18fccb1.png

1 hour ago, frostfern said:

Typical I-80 south greed in play.  You’d think climate change might bring the ring of fire a little more north once in a great while.  Seems smoke is all I can manage.  Ready to flush this entire summer down the toilet.

Yeah that northern convection is gonna mess it up 

edit: also capping in place

Continued wet south like that is usually a bad sign to the north.  We shall see though as this could just be a pattern change process which later July and August might have better results for the northern areas.  At least it's more active and all I need is a renegade storms like Alek is getting this morning :thumbsup:

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Continued wet south like that is usually a bad sign to the north.  We shall see though as this could just be a pattern change process which later July and August might have better results for the northern areas.  At least it's more active and all I need is a renegade storms like Alek is getting this morning :thumbsup:

A nice good morning supercell