Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Obs

yotaman

9 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Just got a new basic rain gauge recently, reporting over 3.5" on the day. I think that's definitely higher than it should be. Local obs and radar suggest 2-2.5". Any ideas why it's so high? I tried to put it in an opening but we have massive oak trees that surely skew the data. 

Depends on what the gauge looks like. The real cheap ones are notorious for being inaccurate. Plus, unless it is in the complete clear with nothing overhead, you will not get an accurate reading. If you cannot afford a professional system, you can buy the CoCoRahs rain gauge for about $40.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

Just got a new basic rain gauge recently, reporting over 3.5" on the day. I think that's definitely higher than it should be. Local obs and radar suggest 2-2.5". Any ideas why it's so high? I tried to put it in an opening but we have massive oak trees that surely skew the data. 

While it may be incorrect, it is also quite possible for rainfall values to be quite varied over a very limited distance. If you do have it under a tree, your data will definitely be skewed, but most likely through underreporting rather than over reporting.

1 minute ago, calculus1 said:

While it may be incorrect, it is also quite possible for rainfall values to be quite varied over a very limited distance. If you do have it under a tree, your data will definitely be skewed, but most likely through underreporting rather than over reporting.

Not under a tree, probably like 10 feet from the edge of canopy. I was thinking maybe it collects water and gets blown into the gauge.

• Like 1

HPTMTcN.gif

about 3 1/2 inches so far from this unique coastal low!!  it's meaningful that the cooler east coast pattern has had fewer MCV inland systems and instead these occasional coastal lows which are much less disruptive in terms of wind and lightning.  the heavy rain sound was relaxing but it just kept going so i did wake up and check the radar to see if it was going to conclude, which it was just about to do. 

16 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Just 0.07” here today brings our 3 day total to 0.80” and our monthly total to a paltry 0.88”. Really hope we capitalize on something before this system moves out. Even drier at the farm in Franklin county. They have only rained one of the 3 days since this system began 

We’ll we lucked into our first soaker of the event. 1.4” in 45 minutes and still raining. Event total is over 2.2” now. EDIT: we ended with 1.54” over about an hour. Our storm total is now 2.27” bringing the month to 2.35”. Probably more to come later on today but that was a heck of a soaker this AM

• Like 1