• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

Forkyfork, a met over at the NYC subforum posted a link to a tweet by someone who follows wildfires, The Hotshot Wake Up. He quotes a forest firefighter in Canada who says they often do nothing about the huge boreal fires in Canada. The firefighter says it's the same thing in Alaska and Siberia: let it burn is often the decision. Firefighter also says:

"The only thing that is going to put out this fire out and many across the country is winter, 5 months from now. It’s going to be a long, smoky summer for everyone. You have a wide reach, it would be great if you can help people understand these dynamics in the Canadian wildfire scene when they’re bitching about the smoke."

This is obviously not what we want to hear. We usually do not get their smoke so I wonder why he thinks "everyone" will this year. I will follow him to see what else he has to say in the future.

https://twitter.com/HotshotWake/status/1666939633890934784?s=20

4 hours ago, CoralRed said:

Forkyfork, a met over at the NYC subforum posted a link to a tweet by someone who follows wildfires, The Hot Shot Wakeup. He quotes a forest firefighter in Canada who says they often do nothing about the huge boreal fires in Canada. The firefighter says it's the same thing in Alaska and Siberia: let it burn is often the decision. Firefighter also says:

"The only thing that is going to put out this fire out and many across the country is winter, 5 months from now. It’s going to be a long, smoky summer for everyone. You have a wide reach, it would be great if you can help people understand these dynamics in the Canadian wildfire scene when they’re bitching about the smoke."

This is obviously not what we want to hear. We usually do not get their smoke so I wonder why he thinks "everyone" will this year. I will follow him to see what else he has to say in the future.

https://twitter.com/HotshotWake/status/1666939633890934784?s=20

I think he means that we'll have random times where we get the smoke funneled down towards us like we did with this last storm system. These fires have been burning for weeks now but it was only with the right setup that we experienced the smoke. So I'm guessing when we get another storm system in that area similar to what we have currently we'll experience the smoke again. I doubt we'll see it all summer but once every few weeks seems possible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I'm trying to think back if I ever remember a June this cool.

Like others have commented, it is the lack of moisture in the air/humidity as much as anything.  Highs have not been far from normal on either side of the norm (after the first 2 days of the month) and MDT is actually AN for the month right now though the last 5 days have been BN.  Already some light showers on radar this AM....over Harrisburg which is no surprise. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Big Money was 48 and Voyager 46.  You guys must have lost radiational at some point.   All these 40's are elevated sensors as well.  

I was expecting my temp to be closer to what yours actually was to be honest - also, I made a mistake on MU's low, they briefly dropped to 56 at 4:50am. 

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I was expecting my temp to be closer to what yours actually was to be honest - also, I made a mistake on MU's low, they briefly dropped to 56 at 4:50am. 

Model wise you were supposed to be in the 40's from what I remember.  Models have raised the temps a bit tonight.  At one point it was going to push 30's again. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Anduril said:

Air wasnt too bad during our 6am walk. Even had some sprinkles during it. Looks like the HRRR wants to bring some nasty smoke again back through in the late morning/early afternoon. Yay

I thought the same thing, and I drove to work through some scattered sprinkles as well. 

• Like 1