• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
00z Model Thread 12/25/10 -- Will Santa Bring us Christmas Cheer?

yoda

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably part of it.. the trough is really broad and complex. it takes a while to get it into the right position to move the thing north with authority.

Was thinking the same thing. Even earlier on, with the closed low from about NY to TN/AL, I was thinking it probably wouldn't quite work...broad and slanted SW-NE.

GFS and its ensmbles give BWI .75"+/-

SREF's do the same

NAM says .01

coup time for NAM or bust

gfs is an outlier tho.. sref are cool to look at yeah. if the gfs does hold we stil need the euro to budge.

gfs is an outlier tho.. sref are cool to look at yeah. if the gfs does hold we stil need the euro to budge.

If GFS stays well west along with SREFs, that is enough to get most folks honking at this range. At 00Z one side surely has to break. The Euro has already seen a big storm in this thing, so perhaps seeing it go back would not be that "strange."

If GFS stays well west along with SREFs, that is enough to get most folks honking at this range. At 00Z one side surely has to break. The Euro has already seen a big storm in this thing, so perhaps seeing it go back would not be that "strange."

Agree. The 00z RGEM should be out shortly.. so hopefully we will get an inkling of help...

Sorry for the noob question but do the srefs also use gfs boundary conditions like the nam? I am just wondering if this whole west trend is not related to the initialization problems noted by the HPC model diagnostic discussion? The weenie in me hopes its not but the scientist in me has to ask if it is.

i've seen the sref shift around plenty in this range.. might be that the op nam is an outlier in that set i guess... i mean it looks to be at least. i like sref much more to fine tune a forecast rather than lead one or butress an outlier with. like the euro blizz i was tempted to throw out the first instance of the bullish gfs, but it is a little more believable now and would be even moreso at 0z if it holds. but if that happens... i assume the other globals will jump on as well? we can't stay with the euro well east and the gfs a mecs+ till showtime can we?

Agree 100% At this point, the NAM is a strong signal and if the GFS stays the course, I'd start talking it up.

really? maybe the GFS goes back east....but if it doesnt then maybe the NAM needs another run for a further west correction.

TBH I dont know why people are getting so disappointed.. it moved 100 or so miles to the west with the precip and the vort looks better than 18z which was the run that alot of people were questioning to be under the influence of the gfs super juice... it seems that this run, if anything again gives more crecedence to the trend started @ 12z today.. Lets see what gfs and euro say but for now Id say this nam run is good.

At the upper levels the NAM seems like it would deliver a GFS-like hit, but the surface doesn't reflect that. I still think the overall setup is not as good as it was a few days ago, which is why we are seeing upper air improvements that don't matter much at the surface. South of NYC still needs help. Would be nice to see GGEM/UKMET/Euro jump on board, but frankly I doubt they will.

i've seen the sref shift around plenty in this range.. might be that the op nam is an outlier in that set i guess... i mean it looks to be at least. i like sref much more to fine tune a forecast rather than lead one or butress an outlier with. like the euro blizz i was tempted to throw out the first instance of the bullish gfs, but it is a little more believable now and would be even moreso at 0z if it holds. but if that happens... i assume the other globals will jump on as well? we can't stay with the euro well east and the gfs a mecs+ till showtime can we?

The SREF scores for qpf at this time range are 2nd only to the ECMWF...so there's an obvious battle going on. SREFs can be pretty good inside of 60 hours...they used to be a lot worse, but they were upgrade around a year ago and have been scoring very well.

The SREF scores for qpf at this time range are 2nd only to the ECMWF...so there's an obvious battle going on. SREFs can be pretty good inside of 60 hours...they used to be a lot worse, but they were upgrade around a year ago and have been scoring very well.

ok, didnt know that. i mean it is a good signal either way but sref has surely let me down personally before.. recently even.

Archived