• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

Some of the relative low spots under 400 feet ASL made it down into the 30's this AM. Should be a nice couple of days to finish out the work week with temps reaching the low 70's today and upper 70's tomorrow. Shower chances on the increase by Friday night into Saturday, Sunny for Mom's day.
Records for today: High 94 (1896) / Low 27 (1966) / Rain 1.76" (1990)
image.png.ebf23892c55877727a3c5760baf61dab.png

A couple beautiful warm days ahead to close out the work week! Highs today in the upper 70's with Low 80's tomorrow across Chester County. There is a chance of some rain Saturday morning...which we could really use but then back to a pretty dry and near normal pattern for next week.
Records for today: High 93 (1896)/ Low 28 (1947)/ Rain 1.30" (1981)
image.png.bc82a1ce5492e5cc1dc0caf596c886da.png

I know that you guys may not like to hear this, but not having any precip in two weeks in the middle of Spring is not a good thing.  The heavy rain we had at the end of April  only served to help green us up.  The stream levels are down big time as the base flow was was not even touched in the streams, especially the LV and other karst areas of central and eastern PA. We are still in a moderate drought for streamflow.

We really need days of daily convective t- storms to help recharge the stream base flows since we had no snow this year.  I see no convective type weather for us until maybe the end of the first week of June, if we are lucky.  You all may like this cooler 70 degree weather and little to no rain showers but believe me , the farmers sure don't.  It will be another 2-3 weeks before the corn even sprouts and maybe longer if we do not get any significant rain.  Corn yields will be down significantly if we do not get some type of convective weather pattern going in the next few weeks.

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Albedoman said:

I know that you guys may not like to hear this, but not having any precip in two weeks in the middle of Spring is not a good thing.  The heavy rain we had at the end of April  only served to help green us up.  The stream levels are down big time as the base flow was was not even touched in the streams, especially the LV and other karst areas of central and eastern PA. We are still in a moderate drought for streamflow.

We really need days of daily convective t- storms to help recharge the stream base flows since we had no snow this year.  I see no convective type weather for us until maybe the end of the first week of June, if we are lucky.  You all may like this cooler 70 degree weather and little to no rain showers but believe me , the farmers sure don't.  It will be another 2-3 weeks before the corn even sprouts and maybe longer if we do not get any significant rain.  Corn yields will be down significantly if we do not get some type of convective weather pattern going in the next few weeks.

Maybe some showers Sat but Sun onward looks pretty dry.

On the plus side, starting Sat for many days we'll be in the 70s/50s night. No blow torch in sight...

76F

Today has a chance to reach the 80 degree mark across much of the County with the exception of some of the higher ridges in western sections. Shower chances increase especially over southern chesco by tomorrow morning. Sun returns on Mother's Day and we should see dry and normal to below normal temps for most of next week with the exception of Tuesday which looks to be several degrees above normal.
Records for today: High 91 (1911) / Low 31 (1907) / Rain 1.38" (1974)
image.png.833f500a50f58a1ad80af54baf9255f9.png

Had a high of 81 yesterday after a 66 low and bottomed out at 56 this morning. Have so far briefly tapped 85 about quarter after 12.  It's currently a somewhat hazy and partly sunny 84 with plenty of high clouds, and a dp at a not-quite-oppressive-yet 56.

ETA to note that I started putting my overwintering subtropical potted plants out but am not quite ready to do the tropicals since they don't like anything below the 50s at night.  I usually wait until around Memorial Day for those anyway although the long range seems to suggest I could put them out now (but I don''t want to chance any sneaky 40s between now and the end of the month).

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

I think we're lucky here in that it's been cloudy almost all day. We'd be in the 90's for sure otherwise.

hb5vauo.png

Cranked the A/C on 67F partially because I've been outside and want come in to a cool climate. It's pretty damn hot, allergies and want to make sure it actually works once we get start to get super fried.

86F/DP 52F   

8652.jpg

56 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

CFS monthlies suggest Dec a repeat of last winter with trof west ridge SE then a very favorable looking Jan and Feb with strong ridging up top and broad troughiness across the US. Take what we can get. Not that the CFS is ever right but has that Nino look at least.

Patience!

• Haha 2

Have been getting barely measurable light rain most of the morning and into the early afternoon.  The bucket finally tipped at only 0.01" so far but will take it at this point.

Had a morning low of 67 this morning and it managed to get to 73 before dropping back to the current 69, with a somewhat elevated dp of 62.

47 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Have been getting barely measurable light rain most of the morning and into the early afternoon.  The bucket finally tipped at only 0.01" so far but will take it at this point.

Had a morning low of 67 this morning and it managed to get to 73 before dropping back to the current 69, with a somewhat elevated dp of 62.

Really got screwed in the burbs, everything sliding/slid S of us. It's cloudy and looks like rain but nothing...DPs in the lower 60s.

slid.jpg

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Really got screwed in the burbs, everything sliding/slid S of us. It's cloudy and looks like rain but nothing...DPs in the lower 60s.

slid.jpg

I was actually surprised it even showed returns up this far north as it had originally been progged for the Delmarva.

I so still only got a hundredth of an inch but it was still enough going much of the day to wet the streets and walks and plants. I finally got a bucket tip between 1 - 2 pm (radar snapshot below).  The line from the cold front is very slowly sagging south but the dews are still up (64 here with temp 70) so it hasn't moved through.

kdix_20230513_1331_BR_0.4.png

4 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I was actually surprised it even showed returns up this far north as it had originally been progged for the Delmarva.

I so still only got a hundredth of an inch but it was still enough going much of the day to wet the streets and walks and plants. I finally got a bucket tip between 1 - 2 pm (radar snapshot below).  The line from the cold front is very slowly sagging south but the dews are still up (64 here with temp 70) so it hasn't moved through.

kdix_20230513_1331_BR_0.4.png

Guess we hit the jackpot here, with 0.10". Still dry under the trees though. Got a smidge of sun right before it settled below the horizon. Nice evening.