• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2023 OBS Thread

So we finished May as the 20th chillest May in Chester County history back to 1888. It was also our coldest May since 2008. The dryness was also historic as we only received a scant 0.21" of rain - the only drier month was May 1964 with just 0.14" of rain. Much warmer today with temps rising into the low 80's. Tomorrow looks to be the warmest day so far this year - spots outside of the higher ridges could touch the 90 degree mark for the first time this year.
Records for today: High 96.5 (1895) / Low 34 (1930) / Rain 1.69" (1977)
image.png.e930de70b0cedff7a8ff4e9eb9dd62b5.png

5 hours ago, Newman said:

350815265_1212123999504710_596098387784280801_n.jpg.b7435289ec7a309d51c506bceca81086.jpg

Wow.  Didn't expect that we would break the record for a dry May.  And Reading's May 2023 is now 2nd driest month on record, period.  :o

Drought monitor also filling in -

I ended up with a low of 55 this morning and hit 87 for a high.  Thankfully the humidity has been reasonable.

Currently partly sunny and 84 with dp 53.

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Philly schools getting out 2 hours early tomorrow due to "heat", dangerous conditions...lol.

87F/DP 52F....predicted low tonight 55F.

That's because of all the piece-o-junk century old (or more) buildings that have no A/C.  And yeah, back in the day, kids suffered in those old buildings with one of those giant pedestal fans with the windows open, lights out, and bees flying into the classroom, but I expect the teachers, staff, and parents complained - especially if some got heat stress or even heat stroke from it. Some schools are "newer" (in quotes) and have central air and other schools finally got some window units but the bulk still don't have them because the old electric circuits can't handle the amps for an AC in each classroom.  So the 90 schools aren't "all" of them but are the ones that have no air.  They apparently have a policy for closures for those schools if the temps are forecast for 90s and above (where inside the brick and masonry building, the temps can soar to 100+)..

• Weenie 1

9 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Anyone have access to the Euro weeklies? Curious if there are any signs of summer. Other than the dryness, I'm content to roll with our current pattern. Friday seems the the summertime version of this past winter -- a one day warm up immediately followed by pleasant temps.

69F/DP 55F  

Looks to be a "pulsing" of warm/cool/warm/cool like a heartbeat, over the next 10 days. :lol:

floop-ecmwf_full-12z-temps-2023060112.sfct-imp.us_ne-06012023.gif

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

That's because of all the piece-o-junk century old (or more) buildings that have no A/C.  And yeah, back in the day, kids suffered in those old buildings with one of those giant pedestal fans with the windows open, lights out, and bees flying into the classroom, but I expect the teachers, staff, and parents complained - especially if some got heat stress or even heat stroke from it. Some schools are "newer" (in quotes) and have central air and other schools finally got some window units but the bulk still don't have them because the old electric circuits can't handle the amps for an AC in each classroom.  So the 90 schools aren't "all" of them but are the ones that have no air.  They apparently have a policy for closures for those schools if the temps are forecast for 90s and above (where inside the brick and masonry building, the temps can soar to 100+)..

All the "public" schools near me had A/C grades 1-12 and schooling was free.

Me, "catholic" school grades 1-12 never had A/C once and we paid for schooling.

Something not right there...

77F/DP 51 

• Weenie 1

9 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

All the "public" schools near me had A/C grades 1-12 and schooling was free.

Me, "catholic" school grades 1-12 never had A/C once and we paid for schooling.

Something not right there...

77F/DP 51 

I agree!  I watched during the 17-year lifespan of one of my nieces, as 2 brand new schools (Erdenheim Elementary and a brand new replacement Enfield Elementary) were built from the ground up in her township (Springfield, Montco) and that township has a population of 20,000 (from 4 towns).  Meanwhile here in  Philly... :huh:  It doesn't bode well for "year round school" being proposed (and possibly piloted soon) unless they only do it in facilities that can handle it.

In any case, I have bottomed out at 62 this morning and am on the way up, so will see how warm it gets before the frontal passage.

Currently partly sunny and 64 with dp getting into the uh oh range at 59.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

And just hit my first 90 of the season just after noon today.

It's currently mostly sunny and 90 with dp bopping between 60 & 61 (not a good combo).

DP here at 55F (Hum 28%) but even 60-61F is not that bad at all. 

I'm just so very thankful and relieved they are letting the kids out of school early...

55F.jpg

2 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

DP here at 55F (Hum 28%) but even 60-61F is not that bad at all. 

I'm just so very thankful and relieved they are letting the kids out of school early...

55F.jpg

Some stuff is popping (got some dark clouds) showing up to the west.  My lightning detector picked some confection almost 20 minutes ago

And I actually hit 95 just after 3:30 pm and then it started clouding up.   Currently 93 with dp 60.   And yeah, the humidity is 33% here but it is still blast-furnacey here.

kdix_20230602_1931_BR_0.4.png