Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Those 2-3 degrees make all the difference in events like this. You’re a little too close to the water and couldn’t cool down enough because of the onshore wind. Long Beach I don’t think ever got below 34 and even that was during the heaviest of the snow. I was 31 for most of it. 

Remember that one storm in January 2011, I think it was, where Long Beach had rain and Valley Stream had wet snow, I thought that was pretty crazy.

1 minute ago, SnowGoose69 said:

NYC survived for now but still needs a miracle to avoid the 2.9 or more.  May even get it with this upcoming event if we even see 90 minutes of sleet or snow to start but probably need suppression city thereafter in March to pull it off even if it doesn’t happen later this week 

So basically like March 2014

6 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Remember that one storm in January 2011, I think it was, where Long Beach had rain and Valley Stream had wet snow, I thought that was pretty crazy.

You’re probably thinking of 2/13/14 which I remember very well and is still infuriating to this day lol. In all there was 6-7” in Long Beach but 12-13” literally 4-5 miles north because it warmed up just enough to change it to heavy rain on the barrier islands in the heaviest precip period. The changeover line stopped dead right near Merrick Rd. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I saw pictures out of Van Cortlandt Park that looked like a real snowstorm lol

Maybe that should be the location of weather measuring equipment too.

I was worried about that big N to S shore split for a couple days. Models were insisting on 35-36 temps and onshore wind but 32-33 (ended up actually being colder here) IMBY and for northern NYC. Makes perfect sense that was the outcome. The LB boardwalk cams overnight were just wet and my mom said this morning there was a little slush on the car and lawn, nothing near any pavement. Long Beach might not even be at 1” for the winter yet.

2 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

I live right by there. Yea it’s real pretty out but NW Bronx def wouldn’t be representative of NYC. 

There was also sleet mixed in for a while for Staten Island and Brooklyn especially which probably reached JFK at times which also hurt the totals there. Over the Throgs Neck was the dividing line. 

30 minutes ago, FPizz said:

2.25" total.  Heard the plow last night sometime.  Glad those workers got some time in.  Nice piles at my work in Bedminster, thinking they got close to 4" here.

When did you measure?  I waited until this morning and had about 1.5".  When I looked outside last night around 10pm it looked like more than that. I live a little south of Branchburg near the WAWA and Fuscos on 202.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wkd said:

When did you measure?  I waited until this morning and had about 1.5".  When I looked outside last night around 10pm it looked like more than that. I live a little south of Branchburg near the WAWA and Fuscos on 202.

Wow, you are super close.  I'm the next light up by Edwins and the new Karate place.  I measured about 10:15 right before that sleet batch moved in.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MANDA said:

Thanks, I take it that 2.0 from near JFK is our fellow forum member from Howard Beach!

12 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There was also sleet mixed in for a while for Staten Island and Brooklyn especially which probably reached JFK at times which also hurt the totals there. Over the Throgs Neck was the dividing line. 

I didn't hear any pinging, if anything it was a little white rain during the lulls.  It kept melting when the snow got lighter too.

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I was worried about that big N to S shore split for a couple days. Models were insisting on 35-36 temps and onshore wind but 32-33 (ended up actually being colder here) IMBY and for northern NYC. Makes perfect sense that was the outcome. The LB boardwalk cams overnight were just wet and my mom said this morning there was a little slush on the car and lawn, nothing near any pavement. Long Beach might not even be at 1” for the winter yet.

wow so less than here-- and I'm just 2 miles north of Long Beach!  The temps at JFK during the storm were 32-33 though and it was mostly snow, with a little white rain mixed in during the lulls.

23 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

You’re probably thinking of 2/13/14 which I remember very well and is still infuriating to this day lol. In all there was 6-7” in Long Beach but 12-13” literally 4-5 miles north because it warmed up just enough to change it to heavy rain on the barrier islands in the heaviest precip period. The changeover line stopped dead right near Merrick Rd. 

omg that fiasco is why I have such a bad memory of that winter!  People don't understand why I like 2014-15 so much more but it's because of that storm and how cold February 2015 was (and March was also much better.)

There was another storm....it could have been in February 2010.....where I remember Long Beach was mixing and Valley Stream was snow.  It was something like 5" of snow here.

25 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

omg that fiasco is why I have such a bad memory of that winter!  People don't understand why I like 2014-15 so much more but it's because of that storm and how cold February 2015 was (and March was also much better.)

There was another storm....it could have been in February 2010.....where I remember Long Beach was mixing and Valley Stream was snow.  It was something like 5" of snow here.

I remember 2/10/10 taking forever to switch over from sleet to snow in Long Beach which held accums down. 2/8/13 was another storm which had sleet linger on forever etc. It’s just awful growing up a snow weenie in Long Beach. And Winter 2014-15 and the massive Jan 2016 blizzard where it was actually good on the south shore I missed living in TX. So I earned my almost 5” of paste this morning haha. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, hooralph said:

Almost no snow downtown. Just moved into a new office right above the Bull. DM me if you want to know how long the line is to get a picture with his balls :lol:

5F575EB8-0337-4886-8FA6-B81F9CB0536B.thumb.jpeg.ed0293f7c4813eacbcd4d48735738e67.jpeg

I can’t even imagine liking snow and living in downtown Manhattan. Absolute worst place to be for snow. I think even worse than the south shore in terms of accumulating. I worked there for several years basically needs to be 32 or below and heavy to accumulate.