• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/28/23 storm threat

Rjay

What do you consider far interior? I had 7.3 inches as of 7 am and it’s still snowing lightly. I’m in Orange County 50 miles north of Central Park. 

Plenty of areas in Rockland, northern westchester, orange, Putnam and SW CT all will verify their 6-8” warnings. NWS did a great job actually.

6.5” in the northern part of new city
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Latest HRRR says the rest of it's a really close call for NYC and LI. The immediate south shore and southern half of NYC is probably done with accums, looks like the warm nose at 750-800mb is here and also temps are above freezing. Soundings over MBY show it getting close but not quite to sleet. DIX radar shows the sleet line maybe settling just S of I-78. But there's still a fair amount of precip to go so this is where the big N Shore/S Shore difference starts. Hopefully not and the sleet line can settle south a little. But unfortuately places like Edison/New Brunswick/Staten Island and southernmost Nassau are probably done (where it even started in the first place. Long Beach I don't think ever got below 34 so it may never have even accumulated :axe: ).

It was around 32-33 for the entire storm and it was 80-90 percent snow here for its entirety (and the part that wasn't snow was white rain but there was barely any of that), the storm ended at around 6:30 am here I slept for a few hours in the middle of it but when I went to sleep it was snowing pretty hard and when I woke up it was snowing pretty hard too.  The winds were northeast, not southeast, so that helped a lot.  I saw further east they weren't northeast.

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Nice! That commack number the same as mine. Nice local jackpot.

still snowing and 33. 

the euro had exactly 5” here. Incredible 

4 minutes ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Who knows if measurement accurate but if we go with that number then they need about another 0.5 to avoid futility. 

Let's get the futility record because nothing else about this season is worth remembering.

Glad to see eastern Long Island got close to warning criteria.

It was all or mostly snow here too, but the temps were just above freezing so mostly just slush.  A little accumulated around the edges of my driveway and edges of the sidewalks and streets but nothing in the middle and the roads didn't even get salted here.  But it's nice to know that what fell was mostly snow and it did cover all the grass, cartops, rooftops, etc.

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Central Park observations after midnight recorded 0.26 inches liquid with snow the entire time and temperatures 32-33 degrees. Anything less than 2.0 inches after midnight will be very suspect. Combined with the 0.9 inches of snow recorded before midnight the storm total should be at least 2.9 inches, probably closer to 3.5.

They will find a way to F it up and under measure, they usually do.

It was mostly snow on the south shore here too, it's just that it didn't really stick much.

Same temps around 32-33

4 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Let's get the futility record because nothing else about this season is worth remembering.

It was all or mostly snow here too, but the temps were just above freezing so mostly just slush.  A little accumulated around the edges of my driveway and edges of the sidewalks and streets but nothing in the middle and the roads didn't even get salted here.  But it's nice to know that what fell was mostly snow and it did cover all the grass, cartops, rooftops, etc.

Unfortunately an inch to heavy rain might break futility record on Friday. 

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

NAM was too warm for once but we probably had no room for error. At times there were those large/clumpy snowflakes that happen when there's partial melting aloft, so we were close to going to sleet. But for once this winter we won the coin flip lol. 

Ending as mist here. Assuming 5" here which seems to be the consensus for N Shore obs, I'd be up to 6.5" for the winter or maybe a little under. Looks like Central Park futility lives on. :( 

didn't even hear a single ping lol

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Those 2-3 degrees make all the difference in events like this. You’re a little too close to the water and couldn’t cool down enough because of the onshore wind. Long Beach I don’t think ever got below 34 and even that was during the heaviest of the snow. I was 31 for most of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILoveWinter said:

yea was hovering around 34 yesterday evening and 33 overnight in Manhattan. Not gonna do it in order to sufficiently accumulate or to stay all snow (not actually sure if it changed over to sleet or rain tho).

it was mostly or all snow here too, the temps were just too warm to accumulate on anything but grass and car and roof tops and the edges of pavement (driveways, sidewalks, streets)

50 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

EWR had 1.7 but the UHI is bigger in these events there, that said they also had a bit more QPF from that burst at 9-10pm and probably got 0.2-0.3 more from that.  I think if you factor in colder at NYC with maybe a tad less QPF they might have underdone it by 0.3 or so.   I could see it being 2.1-2 but the problem is the compaction is always a factor when it stops snowing 3 hours before the 6 hourly obs

what were the other airport numbers....it was mostly or all snow down here too, but temps around 33 most of the time

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Plows went by here all night and I just used the snowblower. Different climate than the south shore. 

• Like 1