EWR: 66 (1991)
NYC: 65 (1991)
LGA: 65 (1967(

Lows:

EWR: 9 (1950)
NYC: 11 (2003)
LGA: 10 (1950)

Historical:

1896: The temperature in downtown San Francisco, California, fell to 33 degrees, which was the lowest ever for the city in March. 

1966 - A tornado hit Jackson, MS, killing 54 persons. (David Ludlum)

1980 - A coastal storm produced 25 inches of snow at Elizabeth City, NC, and 30 inches at Cape Hatteras NC. At Miami FL the mercury dipped to 32 degrees. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

1983 - The last of a series of storms to strike the California coast finally came to an end. Waves fifteen to twenty feet high pounded the coast for two days, and in a four day period up to 18 inches of rain drenched the Los Angeles and Santa Barbara area. On the morning of the first, thunderstorms spawned two tornadoes which moved through the Los Angeles area. (Storm Data)

1987 - A storm brought heavy rain and gale force winds to Washington and Oregon. Quillayute WA received 2.67 inches of rain in 24 hours, and winds gusted to 60 mph at Astoria OR. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1988 - A small but intense low pressure system roared across west central Mississippi at 90 mph early in the morning. A tornado in southern Mississippi picked up an automobile, carried it 150 feet, and tossed it through the brick wall of an unoccupied retirement home. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1989 - Wintry weather prevailed from the southern Rockies to the Upper Great Lakes. Neguanee MI received 19 inches of snow, and up to 24 inches of snow blanketed Colorado. Blizzard conditions were reported in Minnesota. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1990 - An upper level weather disturbance produced snow in the Colorado Rockies, with eight inches reported at Winter Park, and a storm moving off the Pacific Ocean began to spread rain and snow across the western U.S. March continued to start off like a lamb elsewhere around the country. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

2003 - It was a day of temperature extremes. Miami reached a high temperature of 90 degrees, the earliest observed 90 degree temperature since March 5, 1964. Meanwhile Marquette, MI, dropped to 30 degrees below zero, the lowest temperature ever recorded in the city in March.

1980 - A coastal storm produced 25 inches of snow at Elizabeth City, NC, and 30 inches at Cape Hatteras NC. At Miami FL the mercury dipped to 32 degrees. (Sandra and TI Richard Sanders - 1987)

^wow!  Cape Hatteras has gotten 30 inches of snow before?!  I'm sure that was way suppressed for us lol. and crazy that Miami hit 32 degrees in March!

also note how cold it was in 2003, even this late 11 degrees! and super warm in 1991 on the way to a historically hot summer (the first summer to 39 90 degree days).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah don't get me wrong, we have a major signal for a KU event here. Hopefully it's the EURO doing it's over amped, keeping energy SW bias.

Remember, Forky only comes out when a legit threat is on the table. Until he appears keep expectations in check.

There's going to be a monster storm somewhere. You don't often see a low 90s pressure mean on the EPS 9 days out

All the ingredients are there for sure. This is aa good as it gets for a major storm signal in March. 

The biggest downside is climo. We missed out on big totals in 2018 because things didn't get cold enough. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

There's going to be a monster storm somewhere. You don't often see a low 90s pressure mean on the EPS 9 days out

All the ingredients are there for sure. This is aa good as it gets for a major storm signal in March. 

The biggest downside is climo. We missed out on big totals in 2018 because things didn't get cold enough. 

triple phaser!

The next 8 days  are averaging     40degs.(34/46) or Normal.

Reached 54 here yesterday at 4pm.

Today:     42-45, wind e., clouding up, rain by 7pm, rain-gusty winds overnight, 41 tomorrow AM.  

Minor Tidal Flooding Sandy Hook et al-1AM, +3'.     Wind gusts at 40mph.

38*(60%RH) here at 6am.      43* at 9am.       47* at 10am.      49* at Noon.       47* at 1pm.      46* at 1:30pm.        44* at 3pm.       43* at 3:30pm.      42* at 5pm.

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

That second storm gave me 10 inches of cement, knocked out power for three days and made a medium sized tree fall on my house. Don't want that again.

If the track is right CPK can easily breach 10 inches.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I still got 17 inches that month .

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

That second storm gave me 10 inches of cement, knocked out power for three days and made a medium sized tree fall on my house. Don't want that again.

If the track is right CPK can easily breach 10 inches.

it's very difficult this time of year, it hasn't happened in 30 years

and that one changed to rain right after 10 inches

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes nothing wrong with getting a bunch of 6-8 inch snowstorms.

It's better than one 12 inch snowstorm and nothing else that month

Nah in this winter it's go big or go home. Either give me a monster storm or don't give me anything. 

I don't need an advisory event in mid March that melts the next day. 

• Like 2

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Nah in this winter it's go big or go home. Either give me a monster storm or don't give me anything. 

I don't need an advisory event in mid March that melts the next day. 

I know what you mean but 6-8 is solid warning criteria.  I don't just want one of them though.  2 minimally, and 4 would be ideal.  Or 3 in March and 1 in April, that's fine too lol.

8 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Jackpotted next Sunday! What could possibly go wrong??? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

8 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Jackpotted next Sunday! What could possibly go wrong??? emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I like the vorticity field shown in motion.  Thanks.  Nice fantasy, I can only dream...

Why aren’t temps projected to be colder as we head into mid month with a pattern like this? Looks decidedly around average or slightly below, which seems odd to me. Not asking at all with respect to the storm and I’m not asking if it’s cold enough to snow, just talking general temperatures for March. Seems like we should be seeing more of a strong BN push with some days at least scraping the 30’s, no? With the SSW, -NAO, and all the other elements favoring a colder east what is preventing actual cold (a couple to several degrees BN at least)? 

Just wondering looking at everything. Doesn’t mean anything but my monthly Accuweather temp forecast looks very meh for such a pattern. Last year even we had a couple March days colder than anything I’m seeing forecasted now with highs in the mid 30’s and lows in the upper teens (ignoring the storm, just focusing on temps in general, trying to make that clear, and my apologies for asking this kind of clumsily - wasn’t sure how to phrase). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Look out below:     EC   March 10-13................

1678579200-xVG6eN1B494.png

Looks like another transfer idea with the low in the lakes. However, like the last storm, it can still be a snow event with the transfer timing. I mean, the last storm had thunder snow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

Looks like another transfer idea with the low in the lakes. However, like the last storm, it can still be a snow event with the transfer timing. I mean, the last storm had thunder snow.

The biggest difference is there's cold air around. If we had antecedent cold today then we would've seen a few inches on the front end. 

we better get a snowstorm that measures at least 6 inches of snow in Central park for the month of March. I just made a bet with my coworker hopefully I win! If it snows I win the money and I win cause i'm a snow feen let's be honest. Looking forward to the next 2 weeks. It's a small bet but it's all fun and games until we get hit with a blizzard this month

• Rjay unpinned this topic