Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 8-9 Should There Be a Thread For This Storm

Hoosier

5 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

It always bums me out to see a rainstorm in the heart of winter. We only got 3 legit months for chances of snow. It can rain anytime of the yr, just not these 3 months.

We definitely have more than 3 months of legit snow chances, it's pretty much a good 5 month window from mid November to mid April. But I'll take a huge pass on any Winter rain. I'd rather just be dry than have any rain.

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

We definitely have more than 3 months of legit snow chances, it's pretty much a good 5 month window from mid November to mid April. But I'll take a huge pass on any Winter rain. I'd rather just be dry than have any rain.

6+ nov snows are pretty rare even tho we had one in the past 5 or so years. Always temp issues, warm ground, etc. And yea it can snow in March but it's been so long since we had a good march snowstorm so legit and most of our good snows happen in the 3 main months. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

6+ nov snows are pretty rare even tho we had one in the past 5 or so years. Always temp issues, warm ground, etc. And yea it can snow in March but it's been so long since we had a good march snowstorm so legit and most of our good snows happen in the 3 main months. 

ya, I've been looking at a lot of historical weather for Toronto and March and April the last decade have been very similar. 1-5" falls. They've become near identical in snowfall. But Toronto hasn't seen a snowstorm over 4" in the last decade after March 1st. March and April at least for Toronto has been pretty bad

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I don't think so.  Radar shows that a couple heavy bands pivoted over that area this morning.  On the other weather forum, a guy in the Dubuque area is reporting 7-8" on his driveway.

At the time it was the only report anywhere over 5", but now there are numerous 5-9" reports in a narrow corridor from DBQ up to MSN.

Talk about threading the needle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

My final snow total is 1.8 inches.  After the first 1.5 inches, it struggled to accumulate faster than it melted.  It just didn't snow heavily enough here.

can't imagine trying to shovel 7-9 inches of this stuff.  Just 1.5 inches is plenty heavy.

6" was constantly clogging my snow blower January 25th so I had no choice but to half shovel and half blow. I love any and all snow but wet snow is no joke to remove. Have to be careful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

Actually I would use the 3 month window of DJF as our window for getting sustained snowcover. We can get snow way before and way after it but snow cover doesn't sustain itself as well. Recently we had the 9.2" snowstorm on November 11, 2019 and a 4.4" snowfall Apr 20, 2021. So the window is definitely there but obviously DJF is the best. Historically we've had some good March snowstorms but it's been awhile so we are due.

16 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Missed the accumulating snow by less than 5 miles.  A few wet flakes mixed in a times both here and at work.  Picked up 1.12" of rain.  

MLI might have passed us up in seasonal snowfall now.  They were at 10.7", and had picked up 0.9" as of noon.  Still stuck at 12.0" here. :bag:

Missed it by less than 200 miles here.  Close one.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Actually I would use the 3 month window of DJF as our window for getting sustained snowcover. We can get snow way before and way after it but snow cover doesn't sustain itself as well. Recently we had the 9.2" snowstorm on November 11, 2019 and a 4.4" snowfall Apr 20, 2021. So the window is definitely there but obviously DJF is the best. Historically we've had some good March snowstorms but it's been awhile so we are due.

Well duh djf are best for snowcover. True winter storms, only occur in that 3 month window. I guess thats just the way it is. It's been 6 years since I've been in a snowstorm. Definitly miss it. Hopefully there's one before this winters over and I can fly home for it. Its been above average 10 degrees down here, 85 almost every day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

This camera was a bust but I bet you it looks pretty in Dubuque. Probably looks like it looked here January 25th with deep wet snow caking to everything.

Yeah...at the time I posted that Cassville was supposed to be right in the heart of the area that got the high-rate burst, but they ended up on the wrong side of the cutoff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Well duh djf are best for snowcover. True winter storms, only occur in that 3 month window. I guess thats just the way it is. It's been 6 years since I've been in a snowstorm. Definitly miss it. Hopefully there's one before this winters over and I can fly home for it. Its been above average 10 degrees down here, 85 almost every day.

February 2021 had the biggest storm and the deepest snow cover of the past few years but your favorite storm would have likely been this Jan 25th. 85F is my comfort limit in summer lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo6899 said:

Growing up in Genesee Cnty, March and even early April delivered some huge storms on a fairly regular basis. I don't think DET made out very well in those however. Now we've been in this era when Feb has stolen all of March and January's thunder. Hopefully you find yourself in a storm soon. Six years is forever waiting for a storm. Two years between good storms was bad enough lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Growing up in Genesee Cnty, March and even early April delivered some huge storms on a fairly regular basis. I don't think DET made out very well in those however. Now we've been in this era when Feb has stolen all of March and January's thunder. Hopefully you find yourself in a storm soon. Six years is forever waiting for a storm. Two years between good storms was bad enough lol

In 142 years of record, there have been 35 storms of 6"+ on/after March 1st at Detroit.

• Like 1