• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx Thread (General Discussion)

Kmlwx

4 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Fauquier cell has "the look" right now. Cycling up again. 

Warned now for gusts to 60mph

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
302 PM EDT Mon Jul 3 2023

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Central Fauquier County in northern Virginia...
  Northern Culpeper County in northern Virginia...

* Until 345 PM EDT.

* At 302 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Warrenton,
  moving east at 20 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Warrenton, New Baltimore, Opal, Catlett, Calverton, Turnbull,
  Airlie, Broken Hill, Auburn and Casanova.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

LAT...LON 3861 7757 3865 7793 3874 7794 3881 7770
TIME...MOT...LOC 1902Z 268DEG 17KT 3870 7789

HAIL THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX HAIL SIZE...<.75 IN
WIND THREAT...RADAR INDICATED
MAX WIND GUST...60 MPH

96/71 IMBY currently. Clear blue sky right now, but that Warrenton cell is taking a direct bead on us here in SE FfxCo, so we'll see....think I I can just see the storm moving in on horizon. Gonna run out quick to do one last front yard mow to last through tomorrow...clover has been thick as thieves this year.

• Like 1

Some interesting storm motions this afternoon...

Activity near CHO seems to be going more NE than E. Activity near Manassas is heading almost due east. There's also a little shower N of Madison, VA that is heading more NE. 

Still a pretty quiet radar for many areas. Locally it seems S of US 50/I-66 and then perhaps along and N of I-70 might be the places to be...with some dead area in between. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Some interesting storm motions this afternoon...

Activity near CHO seems to be going more NE than E. Activity near Manassas is heading almost due east. There's also a little shower N of Madison, VA that is heading more NE. 

Still a pretty quiet radar for many areas. Locally it seems S of US 50/I-66 and then perhaps along and N of I-70 might be the places to be...with some dead area in between. 

I noticed this kind of "variable" atmospheric movement yesterday afternoon/evening, after we had the big clearing (during the actual STW).

Latest AFD from Mount Holly on the threat for severe-

For tonight, the main player is the main larger shortwave and smaller impulses of energy rotating around it. One weak embedded shortwave and vort-max is located over western West Virginia at present, heading northeastward toward us, while another is over northeastern Pennsylvania moving likewise. CAPE in the 1500-2000 J/kg range and shear of 20-30 kts will thus likely result in an early band of strong to severe storms over the northern areas this afternoon, followed by another band forming to our southwest and moving across the area this evening. This is why we have a northern watch extending only to 8PM in the north and until 10 PM further south. Some guidance, notably the CAMS, suggest a minimum of activity in the middle of the CWA, near the I-195/PA Turnpike corridors possibly up towards I-78. Don`t feel confident to put a gap in the watches, but if there is a minimum over the middle of the CWA, won`t be surprised. Main threat this evening is damaging winds with clusters and supercells producing winds of 60-70 mph. Some hail is also possible, and an isolated tornado can`t be ruled out, but overall the risk looks lower than it did for yesterday. We`ll also have to watch the flash flood threat, with any cells moving over the urban corridor having a decent potential for at least nuisance flooding, but right now storm motion looks like it will strong enough to preclude a flood watch.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

So, Baltimore to Bel Air has done pretty well the last day or two, haven't they? At least...that's what I thought I saw on radar in past 48 hours.

The I-795 corridor could use a good soaker. I transplanted a bunch of plants today and they need a ood soaking. The sprinkler can only do so much.

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Trying to find hope between Rt50 and I-70:yikes:

My earlier call of nothing between those corridors is still looking good. Though I still think it's possible something fires on boundaries later - maybe an outflow from the northern stuff or the southern stuff. 

There are definitely some boundaries of sorts apparent in the various terminal radar imagery. Seems a C shaped boundary in western Montgomery Co, as well as some semblance of a bay breeze and something working it's way up through PG/AACo etc. 

47 minutes ago, high risk said:

I completely understand the lack of trust in the guidance, given the past few days, but the HRRR wants to light up the DC-Baltimore corridor between 5PM and 10PM in the last two cycles.

P&C has been abysmal of late.

IMG_9423.jpeg

IMG_9426.jpeg

• Sad 1