• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

Down this way we'll be riding that zero-degree line from the surface up through 700mb for much of the duration.  I still don't think anything approaching plowable for Lancaster County and would be thrilled to see an inch, which is a shame because the system shouldn't lack for moisture.  The WPC graphics pretty much tell the story......

fill_99qwbg.gif?1670936198738

day3_psnow_gt_04_conus.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Down this way we'll be riding that zero-degree line from the surface up through 700mb for much of the duration.  I still don't think anything approaching plowable for Lancaster County and would be thrilled to see an inch, which is a shame because the system shouldn't lack for moisture.  The WPC graphics pretty much tell the story......

I concur that this snow map is a realistic depiction of where the significant snows could happen based on AM modeling.   Icing is so hard to predict  so not going to venture there yet but I suspect in my hood, this is mostly a sleet to rain event. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

fill_99qwbg.gif?1670936198738

My rain gauge will be humming. Thanks for posting. 

Completely based off memory of past events with similar setups over the years, I've sort of felt that the Ukie map you posted yesterday at noon was the most likely depiction of what might happen. Obviously there are nuances with every individual storm, but I'd be surprised if anyone south and east of State College over to Williamsport sees more than a few inches. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

We have had this discussion in years past.  I forget the final verdict but it was at least 4". 

1 minute ago, pawatch said:

That’s what my thoughts were.

Elliott Abrams used to define a plowable snow as 4"+, and there have been some others who've said the same. That's been my the number that comes to my mind when I hear that term thrown out, but it seems today more and more often I'll see plows hitting the pavement once the snow reaches 2". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mahantango#1 said:

I wonder if these models  runs are gonna trend colder.

didnt look too deep but at a quick glance, I'd say ever so slightly cooler.  You look to be in for a decent event,  I need every little skinch of "cooler" that I can get down here.  Reading Afd above give me hope they the quicker transfer to the coastal may save the day for the eastern folks, and while the coastal transfer is a little too far N for me to get real excited down here, I'll take my normal dryslot and hope for the quicker transfer and cross my fingers for some action from part 2.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Yeah its a nail biter for us, but often is in situ's like this.  You and I will be living vicariously through our central/northern crew, but like you suggested, if we can eek out even 1-3 slop kinda deal, I'm good w/ that.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah its a nail biter for us, but often is in situ's like this.  You and I will be living vicariously through our central/northern crew, but like you suggested, if we can eek out even 1-3 slop kinda deal, I'm good w/ that.  

I am with you on this either way getting frozen precip for a period time is festive. :D

• Like 2

and after looking at the 6z NAM thermals, the 700's where a tad warmer for SE Pa, still a good bit of work for us down here, but soon enough, these subtle shifts will become noise, as the goalposts will stop narrowing and I'll likely be outside of them.  For those inside...enjoy.