• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

18 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And to Bubbler's point - Elliott has been exceptional ever since he took over from Horst. When Eric retired I wondered what would happen to our forecasts with the new guy in town - Elliott has more than proven himself. Warminsta or not. :)  

I will have a hot cup of joe to that.

Cameron, Simon - Civil War - HistoryMugs.us

• Haha 1

And so what if his tone is a little edgy? His job isn't to hold your hands and sing "We Are the World," it's to deliver facts, or at the very least, his interpretation of such.

The dude who runs a meteorology department at a university within this subforum thinks the mercury hitting 70 is more likely than snow at this point. Doesn't matter how he said it, it's that he said it.

I haven't seen a red or green tagger come on here and disagree yet lol.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And to Bubbler's point - Elliott has been exceptional ever since he took over from Horst. When Eric retired I wondered what would happen to our forecasts with the new guy in town - Elliott has more than proven himself. Warminsta or not. :)  

I wondered the same and have likewise been impressed with his prognostication.  With that said, I still miss Horst.

• Like 5

Rain in far SE PA Sunday night.  No Precip North West of there.   The TT snow map does show 1-3" of snow in those rain areas of SE LSV and PA though....pivotal has some light accums as well though not nearly as wide of an area.  The Icon targets a similar area with rain/snow mix Sunday night.   In both cases there is not a real strong pull from the NW so all snow is based on air from above vs. anything being pulled in. 

Edit-The Icon snow map from WB, posted on the MA forum, is a lot more snow for the South LSV and SE PA than the TT maps. 1" for some in the far SE LSV.   More N of Philly. 

Interesting info just released from Elliott:

I plotted Millersville's decadal snowfall from the 1930s-2010s, & the results were interesting! The least-snowy decade (1950s) was followed by the snowiest decade (1960s), & snowfall has increased since the 1980s despite a warmer climate. Not a good start to the 2020s though..

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I plotted Millersville's decadal snowfall from the 1930s-2010s, & the results were interesting! The least-snowy decade (1950s) was followed by the snowiest decade (1960s), & snowfall has increased since the 1980s despite a warmer climate. Not a good start to the 2020s though..

That chart posted last week showing the snow season shrinking by decade was the worst news I have seen a while...but this confirms the bigger snows we have been receiving...seems bigger snows in a short time period vs. small 2-4" type deals I remember so much from my childhood. 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That chart posted last week showing the snow season shrinking by decade was the worst news I have seen a while...but this confirms the bigger snows we have been receiving...seems bigger snows in a short time period vs. small 2-4" type deals I remember so much from my childhood. 

100% correct - a "big" deal snow back in the 70s and 80s locally was the 3-6", 4-8" type snowfalls. They seemed to be major events back then. Lately it seems like we can't buy those types of snows much. It' either a coating-3" or so or something much bigger. 

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Tell him to stop stealing my thunder!  I swear my synopsis is coming, once I'm not completely overrun by kids and work.  Let's just say my study has more granular detail so it will still hold some value.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Tell him to stop stealing my thunder!  I swear my synopsis is coming, once I'm not completely overrun by kids and work.  Let's just say my study has more granular detail so it will still hold some value.  

This was a deliberate attempt on my part to bait you - I see I've succeeded. Now bring home the nitty gritty numbers that you know I'm really craving. :)  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

100% correct - a "big" deal snow back in the 70s and 80s locally was the 3-6", 4-8" type snowfalls. They seemed to be major events back then. Lately it seems like we can't buy those types of snows much. It' either a coating-3" or so or something much bigger. 

I would think all the decades are "near normal" except the 1950's, 1960's and 2010's. 20-30" spread over 10 years is not really a lot. 

• Like 1

Regardless of what you think of the warmth it is nice getting some fresh air inside when it's 56 out like this. Though I will say a day like today doesn't feel as special as it normally would just due to how warm its been all winter. That is another thing I like about winter is it really helps you appreciate the warmer months once they arrive

• Like 2