Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

2 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

In hindsight:

• Missed the daily nooner parade - I probably shouldn't have penned this during a, well...nooner
  • Should have added some @Mount Joy Snowman national high and low data

Always a challenge to incorporate those who heavily contribute, keep it funny without being hurtful, and capture the essence of who we are. Honestly, I probably should have given this more than the 10 minutes it took me to write. I had no intention of doing this today, impulsively it came to me and I went with it within the time I had. 

@Blizzard of 93 you were the one who specifically asked for this a few weeks ago. I sincerely hope you understand that my comments were 100% intended for fun. You are an optimist extraordinaire - and there's nothing wrong with that at all. :) 

I wasn’t sure whether to be honored or offended by my omission. :lol:  But seriously, that was an all-timer of a post. Well done sir, well done. :clap:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

The 18Z GFS has a better positioned high to cause a hammer down for our northern brethren next week.  Not a forecast or anything other than to say the blinds need to be peeked out from time to time.

image.thumb.png.e12a747bb02372d8ec26d7d60cebaf89.png

Lol…..but I thought that Winter is over due to the historic fail and it is never going to snow again & stuff….lol?!?

5 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

In hindsight:

• Missed the daily nooner parade - I probably shouldn't have penned this during a, well...nooner
  • Should have added some @Mount Joy Snowman national high and low data

Always a challenge to incorporate those who heavily contribute, keep it funny without being hurtful, and capture the essence of who we are. Honestly, I probably should have given this more than the 10 minutes it took me to write. I had no intention of doing this today, impulsively it came to me and I went with it within the time I had. 

@Blizzard of 93 you were the one who specifically asked for this a few weeks ago. I sincerely hope you understand that my comments were 100% intended for fun. You are an optimist extraordinaire - and there's nothing wrong with that at all. :) 

Well done! I am happy that you had the chance to put this together!

I enjoyed the new twist with this being set in the future!

• Thanks 1

I remember December - February of 1998-99 quite well . I was working at Susquehanna Aquaculture's on Brunner Island in York Haven . We were able to harvest fish shirtless and in swimming trunks from Early December up till close to the holidays. We had to keep O/2 and feeding levels at summer time values through the holidays that year . I saw my first and only tornado  touch down, I believe Feb 19 or 20 1999 Wading in the Susquehanna not far from Cly rd . I  don't remember any memorable snow from that winter, but I was pretty drunk back then and probably too shit faced to remember some storms. That was a very warm winter for the most part. That said the only year I was able to grow cole crops all winter and not lose any was 2010-2011.

14 hours ago, Superstorm said:

The PAC has been relentless.  Until I see that ease up, our chances are very slim to almost none.  Although, some say there are signals after the 20th that it will ease up.

Op runs are going to waver greatly run to run out in that range but overall signal from all ensemble guidance has been persistently there for a reversal of the current regime to build a western ridge axis that goes up through AK, shutting off the onslaught of storms into California and developing an eastern trough.And they’ve been consistent doing that starting Jan 20th and after too (not pushing it back) as it’s gotten more in more into range with Jan 20th basically being at D10 now. Teleconnection forecasts have been running pretty positive EPO (-PNA) D5-10 and then reversing to neutral/negative D10-15. AO remains negative and NAO trends neutral/negative. 

12z GEFS vs Euro EPS D5-10 comparison (using 5 day avg 500mb anomalies) 

2103304578_GEFSEC5-10.thumb.png.40dfd0b11b5a3ff07bdd6249437160a9.png

12z GEFS/Euro EPS D10-15 (5 day avg 500mb anomalies)
130255334_GEFSEC10-15.thumb.png.84b0741d824c17b49a9788b57b730017.png

If I threw the Canadian ensemble in there too it’s basically right in line with the GEFS/Euro EPS. It’s the kind of major shift we’ve been looking for in the Pac. That time in late January is the bottom of the curve in terms of climo temp wise so while winter’s been a bummer so far, it looks like we’ll be setting up a period of potential at a good time. Extended stuff like the Euro weeklies take this general pattern into early-mid February (the actual primetime Mid-Atl snowstorm season). So I’m confident this change does happen, but what will be interesting to see is how long of a period of opportunity we have….Is it like a 10-14 day window or can we actually get a more extended period? That may eventually depend on factors like the MJO and if it continues to do a 4-6 run after it’s currently forecasted run through a few of the colder phases (mainly 1-2 for now). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Bubbler86 said:

1/3 into the month and the AN departure at MDT stands at +11.3 with every day of 2023 being above average by 4 or more degrees. Dec 27th stands as the last day MDT had a below average day. 

The past 2 weeks have really jaded me. I went out early this morning and groused at the frozen windows and the weather station reading 26.6...and then I realized that it's STILL above normal!

I've been spoiled by mornings in the 40s and 50s.

That bitter cold prior to Christmas seems much farther back in time than it really is. 

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

The past 2 weeks have really jaded me. I went out early this morning and groused at the frozen windows and the weather station reading 26.6...and then I realized that it's STILL above normal!

I've been spoiled by mornings in the 40s and 50s.

That bitter cold prior to Christmas seems much farther back in time than it really is. 

Yea, it seems like a year ago!  It does seem like a tease when we have frost but almost nothing on the snow front yet. 

• Haha 1

GFS with a wonky storm progression on 1/22 - 1/24. Actually has a storm that cuts but a wave forms behind it/redevelops to our south and brings snow to most of us. This was the time frame/storm that some have been talking about that could change our luck...it appears that the next storm behind it will also cut, at least on this run today. 

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

GFS with a wonky storm progression on 1/22 - 1/24. Actually has a storm that cuts but a wave forms behind it/redevelops to our south and brings snow to most of us. This was the time frame/storm that some have been talking about that could change our luck...it appears that the next storm behind it will also cut, at least on this run today. 

That is a good foot of snow. The progression seems off but it is long range. 

9 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Several have said the best way for us to get snow right now is a secondary wave that breaks the pattern of warm, rain, cold front, cold dry.  @Itstrainingtime, this is a nice addition to your digital snow accums for the season. 

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Several have said the best way for us to get snow right now is a secondary wave that breaks the pattern of warm, rain, cold front, cold dry.  @Itstrainingtime, this is a nice addition to your digital snow accums for the season. 

Even in our darkest days...we still find comfort and reassurance in digital snow...

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Even in our darkest days...we still find comfort and reassurance in digital snow...

One would argue it is the reason many are here.   In this current season I would relate it to why the Red Sox had so many fans even though many had never been to Boston....people like to root on and hope for long suffering entities to finally get across the finish line. 

• Like 1