• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2022-2023 Fall/Winter Mountains Thread

BlueRidgeFolklore

Here you go! Looking forward to this pattern change. At the least NWF areas should get hammered next Friday and Saturday.b3049034898de344376c690d20fa7493.jpg

When I read this the interest level for next weekend went wayyyy up in my head. That flow looks to be pretty impressive!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

More changes with the first initial push of cold air from the gfs... Color me skeptical but I don't think we have seen our last adjustments from the model. It doesn't look bad but there is room for deeper cold and a better push. I just about guarantee the ensembles will support a better push of cold air through the region.

• Like 1

There is so much energy flying around between next weekend and Christmas! Right now it's showing up as a lot of weak sheared out southern slider type storms but if the models are underestimating the block pushing the northern stream energy south and slowing it down, just like they were doing for next week's system, a big phased storm is definitely on the table in that timeframe.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The GEFS is the best run yet! That is a thing of beauty. 

It really was. Only worry with it is cold and dry as it is getting more and more into that true arctic outbreak type cold. But as we all know that really isn't a worry worth having at this range.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Last night's op Euro shows how we can fail. Not enough of a ridge in the west leads to over amplication and rain then the real cold and dry hits right before Christmas.

Lots of ways to fail and win. The models are struggling mightily with the blocking in my opinion because it is so deep.

9 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Last night's op Euro shows how we can fail. Not enough of a ridge in the west leads to over amplication and rain then the real cold and dry hits right before Christmas.

The NAO is negative.  The AO is anonymously negative at negative 4 SD. The PNA is finally forecast to because neutral to positive and we look to gain a true negative EPO.  That's a lot to freaking figure out on the models. But yeah we may ens up at 40 degrees and wet or dry. Can always happen. 

I would also point out that by only going out 240 the Euro is ending right where the ensembles have the snowiest period beginning. Similar to how that 18z GFS yesterday was bone dry through the same time period but then brought back to back events on the 22nd and 24th. I don't care what the pattern is we aren't going to bat 1.000 down here so just keep the cold and the energy flying around and we're bound to get at least something out of this.

• Like 2

We can definitely score with the upcoming pattern. I just want to play devils advocate with some of the things that can go wrong. We all know how easy it is to mess up winter storms for most of us excluding some higher elevations.  It's overall a good look but I would like it even more we can get a little more ridging in the west. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

We can definitely score with the upcoming pattern. I just want to play devils advocate with some of the things that can go wrong. We all know how easy it is to mess up winter storms for most of us excluding some higher elevations.  It's overall a good look but I would like it even more we can get a little more ridging in the west. 

Oh one change and we can be screwed.  Everything dumps out west which 2 years ago we saw...

Yeah I'm not completely ruling this out. It would definitely be a localized event but the 12km develops a weak surface low which is just enough to drag lower DPs in from VA. Could spell trouble from Blowing Rock up through Mt Airy during the morning commute Thursday.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1