Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,272
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Iceberg
    Newest Member
    Iceberg
    Joined

July 2022


bluewave
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I ran the numbers against New Brunswick and Harrison. The outcomes are similar, but I excluded Harrison, as there were too many missing values in Harrison’s record vs. 2 for New Brunswick’s.

There may be an error (assuming there is no other explanation for the recent decoupling shown below), but it’s probably far closer to 0.5 degrees-1 degree than 2-3 degrees. Other explanations are plausible, thus I use “may.”

 

image.jpeg.e2614fb9e3a0e6050e410a2873f08a74.jpeg

There have been times before the current heatwave when it seems like there may have been a +0.5 to +1 variance like you have shown. But over the last few weeks, Newark has been really close to the other usual warmest sites. We could probably make a case that the variance between Newark and other warm spots back in June was wider than usual. 
 

Comparing Newark to New Brunswick can be a challenge since the Rutgers station is much more suburban by comparison. 
 

As you mentioned, Harrison has gaps in the data. Plus the Newark climate period is 1991-2020. The temperature record at Harrison only goes back to 2000.

Photos from New Brunswick station.

https://www.njweather.org/station/1101

C41AB3E2-1D1A-42A8-8187-9E4F3AB825B7.thumb.jpeg.b3a08f2d9e343754cea5ceea9db420d3.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Station name:  HARRISON
State:  NJ
County:  Hudson County  (FIPS 34017)
Climate Division:  NORTHERN  (NJ01)
Station ids:  283704 (Coop)
USC00283704 (GHCN)
HSNN4 (NWS LI)
Latitude:  40.7481 degrees
Longitude:  -74.1520 degrees
Elevation:  24 feet
Available date ranges: 
Max Temperature  2000-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Min Temperature  2000-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Precipitation  1997-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Snowfall  1997-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Snow Depth  1997-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, bluewave said:

There have been times before the current heatwave when it seems like there may have been a +0.5 to +1 variance like you have shown. But over the last few weeks, Newark has been really close to the other usual warmest sites. We could probably make a case that the variance between Newark and other warm spots back in June was wider than usual. 
 

Comparing Newark to New Brunswick can be a challenge since the Rutgers station is much more suburban by comparison. 
 

As you mentioned, Harrison has gaps in the data. Plus the Newark climate period is 1991-2020. The temperature record at Harrison only goes back to 2000.

Photos from New Brunswick station.

https://www.njweather.org/station/1101

C41AB3E2-1D1A-42A8-8187-9E4F3AB825B7.thumb.jpeg.b3a08f2d9e343754cea5ceea9db420d3.jpeg

 

 

 

 

 

Station name:  HARRISON
State:  NJ
County:  Hudson County  (FIPS 34017)
Climate Division:  NORTHERN  (NJ01)
Station ids:  283704 (Coop)
USC00283704 (GHCN)
HSNN4 (NWS LI)
Latitude:  40.7481 degrees
Longitude:  -74.1520 degrees
Elevation:  24 feet
Available date ranges: 
Max Temperature  2000-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Min Temperature  2000-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Precipitation  1997-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Snowfall  1997-01-01 - 2022-07-25 
Snow Depth  1997-01-01 - 2022-07-25 

I agree. I don't think one can automatically assume that the record streak of 100s isn't accurate.

If there's an error, it's much less than the 2-3 degrees speculated upon in the article. The prior two rises in error could well have been a function of predominant wind direction.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

I agree. I don't think one can automatically assume that the record streak of 100s isn't accurate.

If there's an error, it's much less than the 2-3 degrees speculated upon in the article. The prior to rises in error could well have been a function of predominant wind direction.

New Brunswick several years back had issues with the site being too high (maybe 8 or 9 years ago?) that got fixed.   Mt. Holly Mets on another board say Newark is 2-3 too high most days along with Philly.  I believe they said Philly is being looked into, but they haven't had a chance for Newark yet.  I'll go with what they say.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FPizz said:

New Brunswick several years back had issues with the site being too high (maybe 8 or 9 years ago?) that got fixed.   Mt. Holly Mets on another board say Newark is 2-3 too high most days along with Philly.  I believe they said Philly is being looked into, but they haven't had a chance for Newark yet.  I'll go with what they say.  

 

They are likely using MADIS and MADIS is wrong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FPizz said:

New Brunswick several years back had issues with the site being too high (maybe 8 or 9 years ago?) that got fixed.   Mt. Holly Mets on another board say Newark is 2-3 too high most days along with Philly.  I believe they said Philly is being looked into, but they haven't had a chance for Newark yet.  I'll go with what they say.  

 

Yup….but for some reason it’s thrown out on this forum 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, FPizz said:

New Brunswick several years back had issues with the site being too high (maybe 8 or 9 years ago?) that got fixed.   Mt. Holly Mets on another board say Newark is 2-3 too high most days along with Philly.  I believe they said Philly is being looked into, but they haven't had a chance for Newark yet.  I'll go with what they say.  

 

Saying this person said x on y board doesn’t help us out. We have the actual data from this heatwave. The 100s were widely recorded  from Harrison back to Somerset County. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Saying this person said x on y board doesn’t help us out. We have the actual data from this heatwave. The 100s were widely recorded  from Harrison back to Somerset County. 

Somerset is a not the tarmac on 95, yet we throw Brunswick out because it’s a suburb 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Saying this person said x on y board doesn’t help us out. We have the actual data from this heatwave. The 100s were widely recorded  from Harrison back to Somerset County. 

I respect the Mount Holly mets but I don't think they're using all the information available.  In the end, our discussion isn't all that important but I still want accuracy. 

 

It does bother me greatly that NYC's climate statistics have been severely compromised for such a long period of time.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Somerset is a not the tarmac on 95, yet we throw Brunswick out because it’s a suburb 

Who is throwing out New Brunswick? The point is that the 100° heat wasn’t isolated to Newark over this current heatwave. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, FPizz said:

New Brunswick several years back had issues with the site being too high (maybe 8 or 9 years ago?) that got fixed.   Mt. Holly Mets on another board say Newark is 2-3 too high most days along with Philly.  I believe they said Philly is being looked into, but they haven't had a chance for Newark yet.  I'll go with what they say.  

 

Send them over to Central Park and TTN too.   I think TTN has been a bit lower since 2016 as was TEB too high a few years back.  PHL seems fairly stable.  New Brunswick and Newark were in line this past week with previous distribution _(EWR 2-3 warmer) of heat wave readings from my view.    If EWR was 2-3 to higher than usual, than New Brunswick would have been higher each day except Sunday during this heatwave.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Somerset is a not the tarmac on 95, yet we throw Brunswick out because it’s a suburb 

Also, theoretically, I could see the location of the asos at EWR adding a little bit to the temps but it's representative of where millions of people live (next to blacktop and the "concrete jungle" of nenj and nyc).  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Raining at ewr now. Might break the 90 streak if they didn’t do it between hours 

Yeah, if not, there should be some clearing during the afternoon to reset.  While today might underperform on temps due to the early clouds, tues may exceed, as may wed if its not cloudy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...