joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

In other news next winter it will get chilly

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

94.2F

Storms may graze the upper Lehigh Valley scorched zones

The best part is how they say how hot and humid it is.  Just an FYI the humidity in Media, Delaware County was in the 22% to 33% range hardly humid it's like a desert out there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Long shot thats for sure. Last week when had a t storm watch and 80% chance , less than 20% of the area got any precip and that was short lived.  Its going to take a tropical wave/storm to break this stubborn  pattern

• Weenie 1

30 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Prediction: That gets bumped up to “enhanced” on Monday. Storms fall apart just as they reach Berks County.

92F/DP 65F

6z and 12z GFS does exactly that 

A positive however is the NAM looks decent for Monday and it's been weak with previous frontal passages where the GFS was overdone 

Hit 96 a few times around 1:30 pm and it's currently sunny and 96 with some scattered small cumulus clouds, and dp is 68.

Edit to add - when I was out this morning watering, I heard NOT a SINGLE cicada whatsoever,  Nada. It's pretty unprecedented in my lifetime at this point. I don't know what happened.  Maybe they got caught in lanternfly sticky traps on trees and couldn't molt, but this is just bizarre.

6 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hit 96 a few times around 1:30 pm and it's currently sunny and 96 with some scattered small cumulus clouds, and dp is 68.

Edit to add - when I was out this morning watering, I heard NOT a SINGLE cicada whatsoever,  Nada. It's pretty unprecedented in my lifetime at this point. I don't know what happened.  Maybe they got caught in lanternfly sticky traps on trees and couldn't molt, but this is just bizarre.

Really surprised you’re not hearing cicadas. They’ve been going strong here for a few weeks now. Katydids started up this week and lightning bug are still putting on a show.

I’ve also noticed as we move deeper into summer the birds aren’t as obnoxious before sunrise like they are in the spring.

35 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Really surprised you’re not hearing cicadas. They’ve been going strong here for a few weeks now. Katydids started up this week and lightning bug are still putting on a show.

I’ve also noticed as we move deeper into summer the birds aren’t as obnoxious before sunrise like they are in the spring.

I've seen the lightning bugs but have had no cicadas or katydids yet...  When it's hot out there like this, they usually get going in the morning and go all the way to dusk. Just popped out back for 5 minutes and nothing.  Just the drone of central air conditioners.

I managed to touch 97 just before 2:30 before it dropped back to the current 96 (dp 69).

54 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Same here.  In the early evening, I see newly emerged nymphs crawling around, but no songs in the trees by daytime.  Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

OTOH, I have been hearing Katydids doing their thing.

1 minute ago, stemwinder said:

Same here.  In the early evening, I see newly emerged nymphs crawling around, but no songs in the trees by daytime.  Glad I'm not the only one to notice.

OTOH, I have been hearing Katydids doing their thing.

I'm gonna have to make it point to pop out there in the evening to check for those.  I have been cat sitting the past couple weeks - gave one sister's kitty back last Tuesday and just got my other sister's cat yesterday (and neither can be let out here or manage to dart out an open door or I'll never see them again... lol). So I have limited the outside watering and nature checks to the mornings after they are fed and napping. :lol:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

6z and 12z GFS does exactly that 

A positive however is the NAM looks decent for Monday and it's been weak with previous frontal passages where the GFS was overdone 

Hope we get shit-canned, flying cows, Floyd (Pink) rains, F5 tornadoes and hopefully a couple tropical things developing, the works, way too hot out there. I have hair but times like this I wish I didn't....soaking my cap in water to keep cool. :oldman:

98.jpg

• Weenie 1

A big day here in the hills in the NW Philly burbs as you ascend the Welsh Mountain Anticline here in NW Chester County PA!! We were able to....with the help of rounding record an "official" first 90 degree day of the year today here in East Nantmeal Township with a high temperature of 89.7 on my Vantage Pro 2 station!!!  While my Ambient station could do no better than 88.7. But for our climate reporting purposes this will go down as our 1st 90 degree day of the year and our first 90 degree day since June 30, 2021!!! Lot's of excitement here across the NW Chesco hills with this rare climate event!!!!  Of note...this is also our 1st 90 degree day in July in over 2 long years since our last 90 degree day back on July 21, 2020. The only spot in Eastern PA beside MPO to fail to touch 90 was EW3190 in Reading PA at 1,115 feet. Maybe they see their first 90 degree temp tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Gave it a shot about 10 minutes after sunset - no crickets, no cicadas, no katydids.  Just bizarre! :huh:

It's currently 85 with dp that has now crept up to 70.

Katydids are just starting up for the evening here, they've been pretty vocal (with their legs) for the last week plus. Crickets are partying too, I mean it is Saturday night. 

Not much in the way of cicadas here either, not sure if the hundreds of cicada killers we have in our front yard have anything to do with it.

9 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I'm gonna have to make it point to pop out there in the evening to check for those.  I have been cat sitting the past couple weeks - gave one sister's kitty back last Tuesday and just got my other sister's cat yesterday (and neither can be let out here or manage to dart out an open door or I'll never see them again... lol). So I have limited the outside watering and nature checks to the mornings after they are fed and napping. :lol:

Maybe being that this was a Brood X year has something to do with it? At any rate, I miss their noise on these hot days.

Edit:  Oops - my bad - Brood X was last year!  My memory is slipping.  At any rate, next week won't be as hot.  Let's see if the cicadas recover.