• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2022 OBS Thread

Maxwell03

Made it to 97 yesterday. This morning feels even worse... I live on the Delaware canal and it is bone dry. They released water in anticipation of a big rain event last month that never materialized and now the river level is too low to provide water for the canal. Wherever drought guy is, he's finally right!

I had a "low" of 77 this morning and am now off to the races with the temp 87 and sunny with a bunch of cirrus clouds, and a dp of 77. :yikes:

It's also totally unprecedented for me to NOT have heard a single cicada here yet this summer.  I know there were a bunch of cicada killers out front but most of these cicada guys hang out in the woods a couple hundred feet away.  I don't know what happened but maybe a pile were emerging early and then got hit with one of the May frosts and/or whatever hadn't emerged after that, got stuck in dry soil.

I was out for almost 45 minutes watering yesterday and heard not a one and even in the mornings, at least one or two are up and buzzing to herald the coming heat.  Was just out there about 10 minutes ago and stood waiting and still nada.

While many relative lower locales across Chester County reached the 90 degree mark yesterday. Many observation spots across our county failed to reach the elusive temperature. This included East Nantmeal (88.6), KMQS (87.0), Oxford (88.0), East and West Downingtown (88.0) and Cochranville (89.0).
With today's higher starting low temperature we should have a good shot at many spots hitting 90 for the first time this month. By contrast PHL Airport is on quite the run of 90's...with it likely they reach 7 straight days by Sunday! Of note PHL has now recorded 19 days over 90 while here in East Nantmeal we have still had none. KMQS airport in Coatesville has had 3 days that rounded up to 90 and KPTW has also only recorded 3 such days!
image.png.fa36cd6b627bda68d7c5d52b8935831c.png

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Made it to 97 yesterday. This morning feels even worse... I live on the Delaware canal and it is bone dry. They released water in anticipation of a big rain event last month that never materialized and now the river level is too low to provide water for the canal. Wherever drought guy is, he's finally right!

Oh I am here and watching.  Keeping a low profile as seeing is believing for many posters. A back to back La Nina pattern for 2-3 years is killing this country right now.

The evapotranspiration rate is a killer right now and it only going to get worse.   The only way to break this routine is a tropical storm which will not appear until mid August or later.  Hit and miss t storms with no chance of training is the norm right now.  The base flow  stream levels are dropping fast and I expect drought watches to be issued by the end of month. Here is the link for your perusal. We are in a moderate drought

https://www.drought.gov/location/18062

• Weenie 1

Now sitting at 96 and something blew through within the past 30 minutes as the winds briefly got gusty and the dp had dropped down from the upper 70s to the low/mid-70s (bopping between 73/74).  Once the breeze died down, the dp is creeping back up and is at 75/76.

The cirrus has also been replaced with clusters of cumulus.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BBasile said:

Had a storm roll through.  Dropped the heat index from 108F to 83.  Thanks!

IMG_21072022_154905_(1080_x_1440_pixel).jpg

I saw that line of convection parallel to the Delaware river (and my lightning detector has been picking it up) and wondered if it was near you.

I think I may have hit my high of 96 for the day and it's currently 93 with dp finally staying in the lower 70s and is 72.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I saw that line of convection parallel to the Delaware river (and my lightning detector has been picking it up) and wondered if it was near you.

I think I may have hit my high of 96 for the day and it's currently 93 with dp finally staying in the lower 70s and is 72.

There really wasn't much to it.  Most of the lightning occurred just to the north on the severe warned cell.  A couple minutes of downpours and some wind, but it killed the temp which isn't going to recover, so that's nice.  

KMQS and KPTW both reached 90 today for the 1st and 2nd time this month, this was both stations 4th time this year. Here in East Nantmeal Twp. still no 90+ days as my VP2  only made it to 88.3 / Ambient hit 88.5./ only my poorly sited roof top mounted tempest unit was able to reach the 90's at 90.3. All observing locales in Eastern Chesco hit the 90's today...however, a couple spots in addition to EN in Western Chesco including Downingtown West and Oxford also fell short of 90. Tomorrow again should be close here in EN but thinking Saturday and Sunday we should finally see the rarity of a 90 degree reading.

Our record Western Chester County high for the day is 100 degrees set back in 1899. The record low is 51 degrees from 1983. Record daily rainfall is the 2.72" that fell today back in 1916. Suspect we see many spots who have still to record a 90+ day to get there if not today then certainly over the weekend.

image.png.d06523d5e19b3cef5a105323adfa550c.png