Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,272
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Iceberg
    Newest Member
    Iceberg
    Joined

Central PA Summer 2022


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

3.5 degrees AN just seems less than stellar when it comes to historical records.   Hitting 91 when the average is 86 is ho-hum.  My family thinks it was a mild summer and not at all hot (near MDT) and I can't argue with them.  No real super hot stretches.  Just no real cool stretches in Aug either.   Just 30-45 min from MDT the elevated areas had a downright cool Aug. 

Well, to be fair, it was only 3.6 AN when compared to the 1991-2020 period.  When compared to the full POR it's 5.0 AN.  But I hear ya, and largely agree with the premise. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Well, to be fair, it was only 3.6 AN when compared to the 1991-2020 period.  When compared to the full POR it's 5.0 AN.  But I hear ya, and largely agree with the premise. 

It just goes a step toward saying we have a new normal especially more urban/lower areas. The thing that stands out to me is that most models under forecasted the HIA areas on an almost daily basis. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

It just goes a step toward saying we have a new normal especially more urban/lower areas. The thing that stands out to me is that most models under forecasted the HIA areas on an almost daily basis. 

Well - it's all relative. Bradford is about as non-urban and highly elevated as you get, and is was the 2nd hottest summer (of 64 years) there. Of course, it's like 10 degrees cooler than Harrisburg - but it's still warming every bit as fast, if not faster.

image.thumb.png.9d30c6090bcc61c6557dc537d03f8928.png

image.png.dad0719a4d6cdb13d61b367345c16da8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Well - it's all relative. Bradford is about as non-urban and highly elevated as you get, and is was the 2nd hottest summer (of 64 years) there. Of course, it's like 10 degrees cooler than Harrisburg - but it's still warming every bit as fast, if not faster.

image.thumb.png.9d30c6090bcc61c6557dc537d03f8928.png

image.png.dad0719a4d6cdb13d61b367345c16da8.png

Thanks! Does this cause our problem in the winter for snow and ice? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

82 coming up on 3:30.  66DP  

1 hour ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Well - it's all relative. Bradford is about as non-urban and highly elevated as you get, and is was the 2nd hottest summer (of 64 years) there. Of course, it's like 10 degrees cooler than Harrisburg - but it's still warming every bit as fast, if not faster.

image.thumb.png.9d30c6090bcc61c6557dc537d03f8928.png

image.png.dad0719a4d6cdb13d61b367345c16da8.png

Definitely relative for seasonal trends but does Bradford end up higher than almost all models every sunny day?    Averages are definitely going up regardless of elevation and urban.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

82 coming up on 3:30.  66DP  
Definitely relative for seasonal trends but does Bradford end up higher than almost all models every sunny day?    Averages are definitely going up regardless of elevation and urban.

How dry has it been in Bradford? If they have been drier than normal, it could explain some of warmth.


.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

brad

2 hours ago, Superstorm said:


How dry has it been in Bradford? If they have been drier than normal, it could explain some of warmth.


.

Bradford is North and West of Harrisburg but there are in or close to D0 at this point.   Compared to historical numbers it was a warm summer there.  Do they have good equipment?  That is a question.  We know MDT is having all kinds of issues.    Bradford has two recording stations so I took the airport for this post as it was the warmer station...they recorded two days 90 or above the entire summer and none in July or August.  In 2020 they had one day at 90 or above and none in 2021.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

brad

Bradford is North and West of Harrisburg but there are in or close to D0 at this point.   Compared to historical numbers it was a warm summer there.  Do they have good equipment?  That is a question.  We know MDT is having all kinds of issues.    Bradford has two recording stations so I took the airport for this post as it was the warmer station...they recorded two days 90 or above the entire summer and none in July or August.  In 2020 they had one day at 90 or above and none in 2021.   

Two days above 90F was the 5th most on record, and it was the first June ever to reach or exceed 90F.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Two days above 90F was the 5th most on record, and it was the first June ever to reach or exceed 90F.

There is no denying temps are getting warmer but did any models predict those 90 days in Bradford...that is the wonderment.   Mdt wise the results were much warmer than the predicts and that is both a worry and a question on environmental influence.    We had By far the coolest Aug in 4 years in my part of the area and models predicted some of that.

 

In 2011 Bradford reached 90 in September.    In 1941 MDT reached 97 on October 5th and 7th:  higher than any temp MDT reached this summer.  In 1984 MDT reached 75 on Dec 29th.  Those types of records are the shockers to me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

Are we punting fall until October? September looks warm without any changes.  

Some 40"s in cold spots tonight...low to mid 50's others.  Of course that happened in August too. Have to take what you can get. Does look very warm though normal highs are still in the 70's in early October.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...