Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discobs 2022

George BM

1 minute ago, yoda said:

But then we'd miss your awesome model play by play posts when a winter threat shows up

Me-“Nam is looking way more amped!”

Smart people-“No it’s not and wait for the run to finish”

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

What a summer that was, last real heat we had in these parts. Compared to today where we can barely get into the 80s. 

That trio of summers were disgusting.  The persistence of 2010, the humidity of 2011, and the big heat days of 2012.  

2016 was plenty bad though.  Average summer temp was higher than 2012 and it also featured 100 degree days.

I remember the derecho well.  I was watching Doug Hill during dinner give the forecast and he showed the radar and indicated it was a derecho - I believe it was still in Ohio at that time.  He really dismissed it as a non event and I told my wife I couldn't believe why he'd do that and made sure we cleaned up all the furniture and umbrellas.on our back deck. 

Went to bed and a few hours later all hell broke loose.  It was like a tornado for about 5mins.  Went out the next morning and all my river birch trees I had planted a couple years prior were just bent right over.  No power for a few days later I actually bought a winch and jacked the trees back up and tied them to a.large.tulip poplar to hold them up for a year.  They're doing awesome now btw.  Well, the snow storm from new years this winter did snap one right over....finishing what the derecho couldn't do. 

On 6/27/2022 at 3:51 PM, WEATHER53 said:

June will end up -0.3 so my idea of heat not being able to take over was correct.

My call for -1 was good.  I think the cool air pushes will be tough from now on so still think July and August look +1 to +2. 
its will be difficult though for those months to achieve more than 10-15 90+ each month.  I still like my call of 35 total 

Probably closer to -0.5 for June because in my above estimate I was including Friday not realizing “30 days hath June”

7 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Happy Derecho Day!  I’ll take this opportunity for the millionth time to mention that I missed it and hate you all.

The derecho achieved 55 mph winds here which I know is well under most

2010 is easily the most severe thunderstorm season for me with 3 events 70mph+ and one where NWS surveyed this neighborhood and referenced wind streak possibly of 90. 
Kenny, over by the Arboretum there is a plaque referencing the one that pushed all those whole trees down and I think it mentions gusts to 110.

After 2010,11, 12 I was worried as they were torrid but really only one real hot since then 

Hello all!  There's a rather important event taking place within my family (it's a secret to one person in particular, hence my lack of detail, but you all don't care anyway)... I'm reaching out to the resident experts on this board asking the following: for tomorrow, July 1, while the chance of rain/T-storms doesn't look particularly that great at the moment, the Weather.com site is giving us the feeling there's a risk of such outcomes tomorrow.  My question is (and I know no one has a crystal ball here) would you suspect there's more of a chance of rain before noon tomorrow or after 4:00?  I'm guessing the answer is clearly after 4:00, that there's a bigger chance which is when this event is currently scheduled and we'd like to keep it that way but rain will ruin this.  My review of AccuWeather just now is projecting an 18& - 25% chance in the afternoon at best but I question the algorithms used to produce those numbers as I've seen them change on a dime.  Looking for some expert guidance so I can consult my future son-in-law here.  How safe are we to proceed with our 4:00 - 5:00ish window near Reagan National?  Thank you in advance! 

9 minutes ago, IceCAPS said:

Hello all!  There's a rather important event taking place within my family (it's a secret to one person in particular, hence my lack of detail, but you all don't care anyway)... I'm reaching out to the resident experts on this board asking the following: for tomorrow, July 1, while the chance of rain/T-storms doesn't look particularly that great at the moment, the Weather.com site is giving us the feeling there's a risk of such outcomes tomorrow.  My question is (and I know no one has a crystal ball here) would you suspect there's more of a chance of rain before noon tomorrow or after 4:00?  I'm guessing the answer is clearly after 4:00, that there's a bigger chance which is when this event is currently scheduled and we'd like to keep it that way but rain will ruin this.  My review of AccuWeather just now is projecting an 18& - 25% chance in the afternoon at best but I question the algorithms used to produce those numbers as I've seen them change on a dime.  Looking for some expert guidance so I can consult my future son-in-law here.  How safe are we to proceed with our 4:00 - 5:00ish window near Reagan National?  Thank you in advance! 

I think you should be fine. There is indeed a slight chance of widely scattered showers and/or storms tomorrow afternoon but, at least to me, it appears that any storm activity is more likely the further north and west you are in the DC area though there's a non-zero chance everywhere in the region. I personally wouldn't change plans at the moment. Also congratulations!  

5 minutes ago, George BM said:

I think you should be fine. There is indeed a slight chance of widely scattered showers and/or storms tomorrow afternoon but, at least to me, it appears that any storm activity is more likely the further north and west you are in the DC area though there's a non-zero chance everywhere in the region. I personally wouldn't change plans at the moment. Also congratulations!  

Thank you George!  This is, of course, what I wanted to hear and felt in my gut.  It's always nice to hear from some more polished and experienced weather nuts than my own slanted view so, again, THANK YOU!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

My numbers for the month of June 2022

Averaged high was 81.3 degrees vs a normal of 80.3 degrees, a +1.0 degree above normal, the warmest temp recorded for the moth was 91.4 degrees on the 17th. Averaged low temp was 57.3 degrees vs a normal of 57.3 degrees, a direct hit of 0.0 off normal, the coolest temp recorded for the month was 46.6 degrees on the 19th and 20th. Overall averaged temp was 69.3 degrees vs a normal of 68.8 degrees, a +0.5 above the normal. Total rainfall for the month was 2.93 inches vs a normal of 4.24 inches, a -1.31 below normal. The wettest day was on the 23rd with 0.65 inches falling. There were 13 days with measurable, 3 days with a 'T' and 14 dry days. The highest wind recorded was 48 mph in a thunderstorm on the 18th. One new record, a 'warm minimum' set on the 16th. Records kept since October 1979.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

June will end up -0.3 so my idea of heat not being able to take over was correct.

My call for -1 was good.  I think the cool air pushes will be tough from now on so still think July and August look +1 to +2. 
its will be difficult though for those months to achieve more than 10-15 90+ each month.  I still like my call of 35 total 

Pretty much spot on 

• 1 month later...

June  stayed cool, July ended up +0.1 and August +1.0 with July 14 90+ and August 15. All those calls were good to excellent 

as of 9/1 we’ve had 38 90+ so my call for 35 is excellent

one final note  is around June 20th  I stated the DCA high several days earlier of 99 would be the high for the summer.  That was a Bold Call, despite a detractor comment, because of the timing of it moreso  than temp itself although I do admit some interconnection. 

Winter outlook coming 9/15 

• Thanks 1