• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
May 2022 General Discussion

Spartman

Assuming it holds through midnight (which should be no problem), ORD and RFD both shattered their warmest min on record for so early in the season.

Low temps this morning, May 11th:

- ORD 74; previous earliest low temp this warm was 74 on 5/19/1911.

- RFD 72; previous earliest low temp this warm was 72 on 5/18/1996.

Meanwhile, it has been very cold out west.  West Yellowstone MT dropped to 7 yesterday morning, and Eureka CA (right on the coast) dropped to 37.  

7 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Assuming it holds through midnight (which should be no problem), ORD and RFD both shattered their warmest min on record for so early in the season.

Meanwhile, it has been very cold out west.  West Yellowstone MT dropped to 7 yesterday morning, and Eureka CA (right on the coast) dropped to 37.  

Finally.  The west always seems to hold the ridges and heat while we freeze in the Great Lakes.

Woke up to dense overcast, gloomy. Not forecast and now there is blow-off from the cells over N MI :cry:. In a turn of events, TWN forecast had a huge jump in my highs for today and the next 3 days showing 30C tomorrow (!) and more humidity. Hourly depicts 11am the temp to soar to 29 by 4pm and stay that way til dusk. I would normally be thrilled but this damn overcast. Next week they lowered my highs a tad when guidance was going to other way. Then with the overcast it shows currently mainly sunny. I should just disregard everything once more if they can't even get that right.

EDIT: I'm going up 1C every 5-10 mins now, last 1C was in 5 mins; the rocket is taking off :) First 30C of 2022 in store?

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Woke up to dense overcast, gloomy. Not forecast and now there is blow-off from the cells over N MI :cry:. In a turn of events, TWN forecast had a huge jump in my highs for today and the next 3 days showing 30C tomorrow (!) and more humidity. Hourly depicts 11am the temp to soar to 29 by 4pm and stay that way til dusk. I would normally be thrilled but this damn overcast. Next week they lowered my highs a tad when guidance was going to other way. Then with the overcast it shows currently mainly sunny. I should just disregard everything once more if they can't even get that right.

Toronto must be a brutal place in spring if you like warmth.  You get a lake breeze off Lake Ontario with winds just north of east all the way to southwest.  And then you get effects from Lake Huron with west to northwest winds.  You pretty much need a perfect west-southwest fetch to get any notable warm air up there.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Gonna depend on how pronounced the lake cooling is at ORD.  That is going to give them a "head start" with cooling off later on.

29 minutes ago, madwx said:

good chance at having our all time earliest min of 70+ today.   87/77 at the house right now, which is again very absurd

I was looking around last night, and I'm not 100% sure but I think yesterday was Madison's earliest 90 since 1980. 2012 wasn't until May 19th and the other 90+ record highs are from before 1980. And I am struggling to think of any other year between then and now that could have maybe had 90's before now. Maybe 1988 but that's about it. The 1980 90+ was the absoutely ridiculous 94 on 4/22/1980, which is probably one of the most anomalous temperature days we have ever had.

• Like 1

There are some rogue AWOS sites in Iowa with dews in the low 80s right now.  I don't think they are legitimate based on surrounding sites having more of a T/Td spread with similar wind speeds (implying similar mixing) but either way, this is some extremely impressive stuff as there are legitimate dewpoint readings in the mid to upper 70s in the region.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

There are some rogue AWOS sites in Iowa with dews in the low 80s right now.  I don't think they are legitimate based on surrounding sites having more of a T/Td spread with similar wind speeds (implying similar mixing) but either way, this is some extremely impressive stuff as there are legitimate dewpoint readings in the mid to upper 70s in the region.

Yea.  If this pattern happened in mid-July it would be on par with 1995.

1 hour ago, Geoboy645 said:

I was looking around last night, and I'm not 100% sure but I think yesterday was Madison's earliest 90 since 1980. 2012 wasn't until May 19th and the other 90+ record highs are from before 1980. And I am struggling to think of any other year between then and now that could have maybe had 90's before now. Maybe 1988 but that's about it. The 1980 90+ was the absoutely ridiculous 94 on 4/22/1980, which is probably one of the most anomalous temperature days we have ever had.

that is correct.  Earliest 90 since 1980.   MSN tagged 90 again today already which is another daily record, also earliest back to back 90s since 1952.

• Like 1

I did it, I got the first 30C reading of 2022 :lol:. This is the earliest since 2015 I believe when it happened May 1/2. My station likely running a touch too hot as well but not by more than 1C. I'm noticing objects around me indoors really starting to heat up fast. Sun is out as the clouds are rapidly dissipating (whew).

30C/86F / 10C/50F - RH 24-28%

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geoboy645 said:

Not sure how it was in the Midwest, but 1980 was right up there with 2011, featuring amongst the worst heatwaves (both in terms of length & intensity) in Texas history. Fort Worth also recorded its warmest temp ever (113*F) that year.

Both years of course were drive by widespread severe/extreme/exceptional drought conditions, and both of those Springs wre also quite windy here (like this year)

1 hour ago, madwx said:

that is correct.  Earliest 90 since 1980.   MSN tagged 90 again today already which is another daily record, also earliest back to back 90s since 1952.

And we have a really good shot of making that three in a row tomorrow as well. That would almost certainly be the earliest three day stretch of 90's on record.