• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

The closest thing I saw to the 2008 power outages previously was December 1992 previously where the southern ORH county towns got destroyed because the snow stayed wetter. Towns like Auburn and Douglas and Uxbridge and Charlton MA were destroyed in that via the power grids. If you look it up on google you probably can find some good info. ORH actually "lucked out" in that one despite lots of power outages in that the heaviest snow on late Friday night was more like a 28-29F snow vs like 31-33F just tot he south while the sfc front hung there.

I took some awesome pictures up on the top of Dresser Hill road in Charlton from that storm, incredible blowing and drifting on top of the hills. I wish I could find them so I could scan them onto my computer, they're buried somewhere in my house. We drove up there with my brother in laws toyota 4 x 4 and got stuck by the ice cream stand, I had trouble opening the door to get out the snow was so deep. We ended up shoveling our way out and headed back home.

I feel like we've had less long duration storms lately...any truth to that? It just seems like most snowstorms last 12-18 hours regardless of amounts and then they're done.

Anyway, last winter was awesome because even when it looked like rain events somehow turned wintry. I remember that happened on 2/25 and again on 2/28-3/1. Both of them trended more wintry and 2/25 I believe was snow to rain back to snow. And then 2/28 looked like rain but we got a good period of zr I believe on top of like the 10-15" of snow still remaining. I can still picture that...it looked amazing. Then we also had the 3-5" advisory event on 3/27.

Man, last winter was awesome. :lol:

We had a ton of long duration storms in 1993-1994 and 1995-1996...but otherwise its really kind of a farce...I love to think they happen more often than they do, but then I look back and see which storms lasted long, and I realize that a lot of them were in my school days so they become more vivid because of the snow days.

That is the calculator at work that Ray despises. But those long duration events do happen...last really notable one I can remember is Dec 19-21, 2008 (actually two systems...but so was 1994 so many times)...but it happened on a weekend before Xmas so it doesn't stick out in terms of disturbing work or school.

The amazing part of my stories is that all the delays would be the same if they happened now...its not like I'm talking from 1972 or something and since I deal with DOT people on a regular basis, I know exactly how it would be handled in 2012...but its likely you would have had the same days off as me...the only exception might be you get back to school one day earlier in December 1992. Maybe also one day earlier in Mar 1993...but that is debatable.

We had a ton of long duration storms in 1993-1994 and 1995-1996...but otherwise its really kind of a farce...I love to think they happen more often than they do, but then I look back and see which storms lasted long, and I realize that a lot of them were in my school days so they become more vivid because of the snow days.

That is the calculator at work that Ray despises. But those long duration events do happen...last really notable one I can remember is Dec 19-21, 2008 (actually two systems...but so was 1994 so many times)...but it happened on a weekend before Xmas so it doesn't stick out in terms of disturbing work or school.

The amazing part of my stories is that all the delays would be the same if they happened now...its not like I'm talking from 1972 or something and since I deal with DOT people on a regular basis, I know exactly how it would be handled in 2012...but its likely you would have had the same days off as me...the only exception might be you get back to school one day earlier in December 1992. Maybe also one day earlier in Mar 1993...but that is debatable.

LOL, that's ok, I still like snow even if it doesn't disturb school. I remember '08. It snowed all day Saturday in between the two systems...just never stopped snowing. I wasn't on this forum but that was one of the first storms I was on accuweather for lol....I discovered this forum spring of '09 (eastern) and started posting at the end of that year. I can't believe its been 2+ years on eastern/american already...time flies.

Ryan, that is pretty good coverage man...you were actually one of the first TV mets to go gung ho on that storm for both your market and BOS market...that was a big thing, non of the TV mets wanted to pull the trigger...but you did a pretty good job on pulling it even though it killed you to do it with Kevin's floating head in your mind, lol...just kidding.

That is some good video.

Thanks will. It does pain me sometimes to forecast snow for tolland. I get a sick satisfaction with disappointing him on air :)

LOL, that's ok, I still like snow even if it doesn't disturb school. I remember '08. It snowed all day Saturday in between the two systems...just never stopped snowing. I wasn't on this forum but that was one of the first storms I was on accuweather for lol....I discovered this forum spring of '09 (eastern) and started posting at the end of that year. I can't believe its been 2+ years on eastern/american already...time flies.

If Dec 2008 had happened during the work week, it prob would have given you 3 days off in a row.

I started posting in Summer 2008, so I was on for the 08-09 winter...I was home from Middlebury in Westchester for the Dec 19-21 storm...had about 8" or so from the 12/19 event, then 3" plus icing from the second wave although it turned to rain in NYC proper. It was a huge double-barreled event in Vermont with about 10" from each storm. The New Year's mega torch ruined most of the snowpack but January 2009 was just epic in Vermont, had the fluff clipper early in the month and then the monster SW flow event on 1/28 that dropped over a foot. I left to study in Chile a few weeks later but what a great front-loaded winter that was.

Your posts have been great man...you are a wonderful contributor to the forum.

I started posting in Summer 2008, so I was on for the 08-09 winter...I was home from Middlebury in Westchester for the Dec 19-21 storm...had about 8" or so from the 12/19 event, then 3" plus icing from the second wave although it turned to rain in NYC proper. It was a huge double-barreled event in Vermont with about 10" from each storm. The New Year's mega torch ruined most of the snowpack but January 2009 was just epic in Vermont, had the fluff clipper early in the month and then the monster SW flow event on 1/28 that dropped over a foot. I left to study in Chile a few weeks later but what a great front-loaded winter that was.

Your posts have been great man...you are a wonderful contributor to the forum.

Thanks dude. I've learned a ton but there's so much to learn.

Thanks will. It does pain me sometimes to forecast snow for tolland. I get a sick satisfaction with disappointing him on air :)

LOL, he must jump around on his bed like a little school girl when you mention "the hills."

That coverage was great. You did a nice job with the storm. I sort of get disappointed from time to time missing out on that, but I was able to live vicariously threw you guys during the storm.

Hey Ryan, do you still have any good links to the Hartford papers or even TV footage of the damage? I figured you must have saved some.

I actually haven't saved some of the damage stuff yet but I'll try to do that tonight actually. By Monday and Tuesday we have some pretty good damage video. I actually have 5 front pages of the Hartford Courant framed for the week following the storm for my weather lair.

I actually haven't saved some of the damage stuff yet but I'll try to do that tonight actually. By Monday and Tuesday we have some pretty good damage video. I actually have 5 front pages of the Hartford Courant framed for the week following the storm for my weather lair.

Oh nice. I used to save some news paper article from storms when I was a kid. I actually had something from 12/26/10 last year. I'll have to find the other stuff at home. When you get a chance, post the damage video. That was awesome footage.

Ryan, in the first video you had a swath of 10-15"

Did you want to go higher?

Are there forces that keep it in check?

That morning I thought it would be a struggle to start as snow in the valleys and a struggly to start accumulating in the hills. Also I wasn't relying on the mega deformation band to just crush north central and northwest Connecticut near the end of the storm.

I had bumped those numbers up from the nigh before... and then around noon or 1pm I bumped them up again.

I think we talked about it on the board, but I remember thinking that GC was going to get buried. I just said to myself "those motherf*ckers are going to get smoked." That day you could see the banding setting up in PA and it was developing northeast towards western mass. I didn't want to make them too happy, but I was like..."they are gonna get whacked again." LOL.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Those are pretty impressive pictures from PDII, you must have had at least 24" where you were looking at the reference points and where drifts might be.

I apologize for the crappy quality. I'll scan them when I get a chance, but wanted to quickly throw them up. I came home down that after being away in NJ for that storm and snapped a few picks. It was close to 2' OTG. Might have been more if I measured every 6 hrs or so.