Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England snowstorm memories.

CoastalWx

• 1 year later...

The snowstorm of December 20-21 2010 was probably the most surprising snowstorm we have had in a long time out here on the Cape.  It was so surprising because there wasn't even one weather headline posted that morning of the 20th before a Winter Weather Advisory was posted around 3pm EDT that afternoon, then around 6pm EDT a Winter Storm Warning was issued for 6-10", then the updated warning issued was for 6-12" across the Cape and Islands.  We ended with 11.0" for storm total out here in Harwich, MA.  Then the great Boxing Day Blizzard struck New York City, NY no less than 6 days afterwards, we ended up with 1.0" of snow from that storm.  The 20th of December was amazing, it snowed the whole day, but not nearly hard enough to accumulate given the rather warm surface temperatures, but once nighttime rolled in so did the heavy band of white roll on through the region.  It was an amazing sight.  Throughout the morning hours it looked like the ultimate screw job was taking place, until the ocean storm sent the band westward after 12pm EDT.  It was like a complete whiteout for several hours at least and accumulated quickly once sun set.  It was truly a winter wonderland.

some memories:

3/16-17/04: Looked like it was going to be a bust when I woke up that morning, because the sun was shining brilliantly. Todd Gross (remember him?) even said "Don't be fooled by the sunshine." The snow came down thick and heavy on ACK, but halfway through we switched over to ZR. We ended up getting 3.5" out of it.

3/18/04: I believe this was OES, but it could have been attached to the previous storm. I recorded another inch at my grandmother's house on New Mill Street in ACK.

3/19/04: This was Mother Nature redeeming herself for the bust she gave us. 7 inches when all was said and done. The next day I went sledding in a short sleeve shirt and blue jeans.

12/31/98-1/1/99: This was a surprise event for us out on the islands. I think, *THINK* we got 8 inches out of this. Edgartown got 0.3 inches. CQX didn't receive anything. I've tried emailing BOX but they don't really know much about it either.

for my time in the springfield mass area, flurries this morning have me daydreaming again...........

def the winter of 10-11 that thirty or so day span with over 50 inches of snow...really every bit as good as 95-96 and with better retention

had everything:

consecutive snowfalls with just enough sleet and refreezing to slow down sublimation/compaction and consistent cold weather

at least one snowfall of 18 inches or better

a couple inches of snow with arctic overriding and temps in the single digits

15 inches or greater depth for nearly thirty days

greatest depth I have ever witnessed 30 inches morning of feb 2nd

snowtober...the death band around or just after midnight with rates that had to be at least briefly 3 inches/hr and a peak depth of at least a foot!  the tree loss and no power for over a week does tend to cast a shadow over it however

feb13............it took FOREVER since the first flakes started flying just after 9am but the period of 9pm to 2am with nearly 18 inches falling and at times near zero in mostly falling snow, rates probably at times approaching or exceeding at least briefly 4 inches/hr...total storm accumulation just under or at two feet, 21 inch avg depth...epic for this area anyways...and truth be told that big amount in the five hrs was as the death band was starting to decay...

one more...for spfd in my time here

feb 06 with 16-17 inches where I am but just a few miles west/north while still in city limits only half that much.....glad I was just on the edge for that as I did see 3 inch/hr rates briefly and brief thundersnow...I will never forget when I went to work down town later that night and they had eight or nine inches at best just 2.5 miles away. The next morning I went to East Longmeadow and measured nearly 18 inches otg so they probably had close to 20 just a little over a mile from where I was in south forest park

I remember a storm from February, 1993. It was on the 2nd I believe.

Some selected totals from SEMASS:

Edgartown: 3.8"

Hatchville: 5"

Hyannis: 3.1"

Chatham: 11.5"

Nantucket: 6"*

Wareham: 7"

Plymouth: 9"

New Bedford: 4.5"

Taunton: Missing.

Peak gusts:

ACK: 60*

MVY: 44

HYA: 46

FMH: 58

EWB: 32

BOS: 41

ORH: NO GUSTS

*Reported in the Inquirer and Mirror

I remember this storm very, very distinctly because I was at daycare and the staff were commenting that it was going to snow heavily. The director's husband worked for the Steamship Authority and she said that they would not be running the boats. My mother picked me up during the height of the storm and it was a harrowing ride down Old South Road back to our house. The storm lingered into Tuesday the 2nd. I remember my dad being wicked angry because they hadn't gotten a delivery that was expected at RB Corcoran. The storm is one of my "cult favorites" because it was so localized (ORH only got 0.8" and BOS got 1.2") It's a pure SEMASS Special.

Here's a forgotten/obscure snowstorm:

December 13/14, 1979 A Thursday/Friday event:

BOS: 1.5"

ORH: 1.9"

HYA: T

Lowell: 0.8"

Haverhill: 2"

EWB: T

Hingham: 1"

Chatham: 0

Ipswich: 2.6"

Newburyport: 1.5"

Ashburnham: 1.9"

Amherst: 3"

Westfield: 1.5"

Ashfield: 3.2"

Great Barrington: 2"

That sounds like a real doozy.

for my time in the springfield mass area, flurries this morning have me daydreaming again...........

def the winter of 10-11 that thirty or so day span with over 50 inches of snow...really every bit as good as 95-96 and with better retention

had everything:

consecutive snowfalls with just enough sleet and refreezing to slow down sublimation/compaction and consistent cold weather

at least one snowfall of 18 inches or better

a couple inches of snow with arctic overriding and temps in the single digits

15 inches or greater depth for nearly thirty days

greatest depth I have ever witnessed 30 inches morning of feb 2nd

snowtober...the death band around or just after midnight with rates that had to be at least briefly 3 inches/hr and a peak depth of at least a foot!  the tree loss and no power for over a week does tend to cast a shadow over it however

feb13............it took FOREVER since the first flakes started flying just after 9am but the period of 9pm to 2am with nearly 18 inches falling and at times near zero in mostly falling snow, rates probably at times approaching or exceeding at least briefly 4 inches/hr...total storm accumulation just under or at two feet, 21 inch avg depth...epic for this area anyways...and truth be told that big amount in the five hrs was as the death band was starting to decay...

I had that in the October storm for about 4-5 hours straight or so.  Not quite as long as Mitch, but long anough to pile up 28", IIRC.  A beautiful powder storm up this way.  No leaves on the trees up here to cause issues even if it hadn't been powdery.

Oct 11 was one of my favorites of all time.  The combination of a block buster storm, the first storm of the season, and actually not being  in season mark it as memorable.

26th Anniversary of the Vets Day snowstorm.

BOS: 9"

ORH: 10.2"

Buffumville: 8"

Southbridge: 6"

HYA: 1.5"

Hatchville: 4"

E.Wareham: 10"

EWB: 6"

PYM: 12"

Hingham: 11.7"

Blue Hill: 11.4"

Lowell: 6.3"