Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
OBS/DISCO - The Historic James Blizzard of 2022

TalcottWx

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, you're good...listen, I know I get super obsessive, but at the end of the day, these are truly first world problems. I have a Job that I love and a beautiful family coming home, after months away on Thuraday to an area I've called home my whole life. I just wish they were  coming home to 20" of snow, and not 12" lol

We winter.  :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’d respond but don’t feel like getting five posted. I’ll just keep on tagging. 

Why would you get 5 posted? We all break each other's balls in this forum...feel free to quote me with a bun lol All in good fun.. If they suspended you for that, I'd ask them to remove it.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Can you find that quote? I never said that I would be happy with 12"...false. I said that I didn't need to jackpot, which was true. I said I'd be okay with like 20".  These totals were always a disappointment in my book

I couldnt, I may try again because Im stubborn. but I did find these quotes which completely discount my point

Ray said

"The reality is that if I get a foot here, I have 22.5" headed into February....that still blows. No one on here except Bob enjoys large snow fall deficits for several years running. I understand I am an easy target because I am so vocal about it, but many others here feel the same way, dude."

"There are a lot of folks who would feel porked with 12" in a sea of 2' plus....you are full of shit if you think otherwise."

The reality is I feel you and it's silly for me to even try to find evidence of what I think you said.  

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why would you get 5 posted? We all break each other's balls in this forum...feel free to quote me with a bun lol All in good fun.. If they suspended you for that, I'd ask them to remove it.

I’m just reading you, and am astounded at all the complaining about a foot when I’ve had exactly one 12 inch snowfall in over a decade lol. 

when we bust here it either rains, or ices, or we get 6-8 inches and dry slotted after model runs show 12-16 inches for days….not to mention I can often drive 100 miles any direction and get twice the snow. Hell even my foot storm the last year 100 miles NE of me got 30 inches.

• Like 2

Just now, dmcginvt said:

I couldnt, I may try again because Im stubborn. but I did find these quotes which completely discount my point

Ray said

"The reality is that if I get a foot here, I have 22.5" headed into February....that still blows. No one on here except Bob enjoys large snow fall deficits for several years running. I understand I am an easy target because I am so vocal about it, but many others here feel the same way, dude."

"There are a lot of folks who would feel porked with 12" in a sea of 2' plus....you are full of shit if you think otherwise."

The reality is I feel you and it's silly for me to even try to find evidence of what I think you said.  

Yes, that is how I remembered it. Everyone here knows I despise Boxing Day, so me being okay with a foot in a historic blizzard wouldn't make sense. I did say that I I didn 't need to jackpot, but 20" was the number I gave.

NBD

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’m just reading you, and am astounded at all the complaining about a foot when I’ve had exactly one 12 inch snowfall in over a decade lol. 

when we bust here it either rains, or ices, or we get 6-8 inches and dry slotted after model runs show 12-16 inches for days….not to mention I can often drive 100 miles any direction and get twice the snow. Hell even my foot storm the last year 100 miles NE of me got 30 inches.

It's all relative, though...gotta understand that. I feel ya, though. Def see where you are coming from 

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I’ll also say I got roasted on my sub after our MLK storm for not being happy with 7 inches when our forecast the morning of was 12 lol. 

• Like 1

12-13” of snow where I am is not a fail by any means, and it looks like an all timer at Islip. Long Island had an awesome event. But have to wonder what would’ve been. The people who have to really complain are CT. Logan may have way jumped over Central Park because of the dumbbell!! (Who knows but something to think about) 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

He was honking that the trend on the crazy 0z NAM (6z NAM was even crazier) probably wasn’t done as the 500 low closed further SW. 12z NAM and others began the double barrel/dumbbell and so we have what happened. 

That's what I thought...TBH, I would have rather that, than missing 30" by 15mi, but I still would have complained.

• Like 1

Just now, George001 said:

what would you guys rather have? A foot of powder, or a slushy foot before a changeover to sleet and then freezing rain? I got around that in the March 2017 storm, was a nice storm, but I was a bit disappointed when I saw we only got a slushy foot while places NW had way more.

The latter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I’ll also say I got roasted on my sub after our MLK storm for not being happy with 7 inches when our forecast the morning of was 12 lol. 

I’ve been on multiple boards, and this is by far the most chill one I’ve seen. I have been banned from other boards for being a huge weenie after my forecast busted. The posters here will give me some shit but it’s all in good fun. I forecasted a huge blizzard a few days out when the Navy was showing it for the MLK storm, but unfortunately the Navy was wrong and it rained instead. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yes, that is how I remembered it. Everyone here knows I despise Boxing Day, so me being okay with a foot in a historic blizzard wouldn't make sense. I did say that I I didn 't need to jackpot, but 20" was the number I gave.

NBD

Man we bleed white, snow is our blood.  It's def the reason I moved to VT from Philly.  I just happened to live in Methuen from 2000-2003 and I have been following everything you say for a long time on this forum because I lived there and saw the snow they CAN get.   I see how much time you p ut into following storms and you are very good at forecasting.   So it actually hurts me too.  My sister also live in N andover and is also a snow freak but she doesnt post.  She's on the southern end mind you but she got near 20.  If I was in Methuen and she got more than me, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George001 said:

I’ve been on multiple boards, and this is by far the most chill one I’ve seen. I have been banned from other boards for being a huge weenie after my forecast busted. The posters here will give me some shit but it’s all in good fun. I forecasted a huge blizzard a few days out when the Navy was showing it for the MLK storm, but unfortunately the Navy was wrong and it rained instead. 

Oh trust me, I love reading the Ne board.  Want you guys to cash in.

NYC and dc I always hope they fringe or dry slot

and that MLK storm was absurd…everyone up to the Canadian border had nixing issues.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, you're good...listen, I know I get super obsessive, but at the end of the day, these are truly first world problems. I have a Job that I love and a beautiful family coming home, after months away on Thuraday to an area I've called home my whole life. I just wish they were  coming home to 20" of snow, and not 12" lol

Saw this after the fact, I like super obsessive, it's called passion.  And we both have it for snow. Look at Waterbury Center VT and their Snow deficit,  And not jspins numbers, he lives in a magic spot with no mtns between him and the west that shadow me,

image.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dmcginvt said:

Man we bleed white, snow is our blood.  It's def the reason I moved to VT from Philly.  I just happened to live in Methuen from 2000-2003 and I have been following everything you say for a long time on this forum because I lived there and saw the snow they CAN get.   I see how much time you p ut into following storms and you are very good at forecasting.   So it actually hurts me too.  My sister also live in N andover and is also a snow freak but she doesnt post.  She's on the southern end mind you but she got near 20.  If I was in Methuen and she got more than me, GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.  

Yea, my sister in Wilmington said 18"...I'm beside myself. Going there to measure tomorrow.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The latter.

That’s fair. A slushy foot usually will take longer to melt so that’s nice. For me I’m generally the same way, if I’m forecast to get like 12+ and end up with 8 I’ll be disappointed. However if I’m forecast to get like 2-4 and end up with 8 I’ll be happy, it’s relative to expectations. Where I am different is my cutoff for being happy no matter what is lower. When I go outside and bring my 12 inch ruler to measure the snow, and it isn’t enough, that’s a successful storm in my eyes. 

1 minute ago, George001 said:

That’s fair. For me I’m generally the same way, if I’m forecast to get like 12+ and end up with 8 I’ll be disappointed. However if I’m forecast to get like 2-4 and end up with 8 I’ll be happy, it’s relative to expectations. Where I am different is my cutoff for being happy no matter what is lower. When I go outside and bring my 12 inch ruler to measure the snow, and it isn’t enough, that’s a successful storm in my eyes. 

There is nothing I detest more than arctic subsidence....bands just pinned to 128. Gag me

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That's what I thought...TBH, I would have rather that, than missing 30" by 15mi, but I still would have complained.

It was me to a lesser extent today. Band started forming over me and that’s partly what buried Islip. I have 8” less than 10-15 miles NE of me. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, my sister in Wilmington said 18"...I'm beside myself. Going there to measure tomorrow.

It's true, 18-19" on the average. (See National Weather Service PNS Totals) down here. Got tickled longer with the extreme western part of the deform for a little bit as it drifted around the 128 belt.

Sorry, I just realized I was simply replying to Ray and it has nothing to do with the obs of this storm...............But I'm gonna leave it because I think it's important for the future to know that VT is hurting during this winter after you guys got a big storm we didnt get :).  

I'm due east of Bolton Mtn on the leeward side.  I lived with 2 inches of solid snow/ice and then we got about 10.  It's about 8 inches of depth now.  I have been here since 1987 minus the years I was in methuen and this is the worst winter ever.  Total snowfall is so bad.  The Mt Mansfield Stake show it

https://matthewparrilla.com/mansfield-stake/

image.png.023eec8006bb5a4f6806c373a1215bb7.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Greg said:

It's true,18-19" on the average. Down here. Got tickled longer with the extreme western part of the deform for a little bit. Drifted a lot down here.

Ever since I moved up here from Wilmington,  it's done nothing but snow more there. I remember saying to Will that it looked to me like Wilmington could get it, while I miss..and he said it would be tough bc its gonna orient north to south.  Well, we pulled it off  :axe:

Just brutal

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Oh trust me, I love reading the Ne board.  Want you guys to cash in.

NYC and dc I always hope they fringe or dry slot

and that MLK storm was absurd…everyone up to the Canadian border had nixing issues.

That storm was so frustrating for me. It was in the teens the night before and then it warmed up and rained. Such a waste of cold air. For a few days there I was convinced we would waste this favorable January pattern, and would be lucky to get to average snowfall this winter in eastern mass. Fortunately the pattern delivered in the end, hopefully it reloads in Feb and we get another monster blizzard. If that happens, this winter will go from good to epic. A good winter is one with at least 2 big storms that bring a foot or more of snow, and finishes above our seasonal average. An epic winter for me has at least 2 massive blizzards (as much as I wish it would happen every winter, most winters we don’t even get one never mind 2 or more). 

• Like 1