Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

17 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

When I moved from Lancaster to DuBois, it was definitely a shock. The biggest differences I noticed were the ability for car doors to freeze shut in the middle of the day, snow showers that actually can accumulate somewhat easily during the heat of the day, and significantly lower dewpoints/humidity (so splendid!) during the summers.

I currently live on brockway. Happening right now. Heavy snow out of nowhere. Doesn't always accumulate but there are times when its what causes so many accidents on 80

24 minutes ago, medmax said:

Moving from Hershey to State College next month. When we visit family in Philipsburg, it’s shocking how much of a climate change it is. I grew up on the York/Adams border and had an idea, but it’s still shocking how different the weather is when you step out of the car.

There's even a stark difference between State College and Philipsburg. I graduated (and lived) from Penn State, and often made the trip on 322 back from State College to DuBois. It was always a journey of several microclimates.

When you travel from Hershey up to the Allegheny Plateau via 322, it gets increasingly more wintry over each successive mountain ridge.

1st Change: Slight change as you work your way up the hills from Harrisburg to Lewistown.

2nd Change: Seven Mountains (Ridge past Milroy)

3rd Change: The ridges around Tussey and between Centre Hall and Pleasant Gap

4th Change: The ridge that runs between State College and Port Matilda

5th Change: The ridge between Port Matilda and Philipsburg - runs to the NE to the Snowshoe area on 80.

6th Change: The Woodland area before Clearfield - always snowier

7th and BIGGEST change: Clearfield Mountain between Clearfield and DuBois. (The Rockton area.) Over 2,000 feet in elevation - HUGE microclimate (in all times of the year) that I spent years driving through. Lots of ice storms and heavier snow there - Thunderstorms were always way worse as well (hail storms common). I actually worked on top of that mountain and it snowed an inch in the 3rd week of JUNE.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zero26800 said:

I currently live on brockway. Happening right now. Heavy snow out of nowhere. Doesn't always accumulate but there are times when its what causes so many accidents on 80

Nice! I am quite familiar with Brockway. Went to their awesome Fourth of July celebration several summers. Bro in law's family lives there. That moisture from the lakes gets squeezed out by orographic lift on those ridges. It usually amounts to only an inch or so that can melt quickly if the sun comes back out. Growing up in SE PA, I wasn't accustomed to black ice during the day time when the sun was shining. Different story up there on the Plateau...

29 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

There's even a stark difference between State College and Philipsburg. I graduated (and lived) from Penn State, and often made the trip on 322 back from State College to DuBois. It was always a journey of several microclimates.

When you travel from Hershey up to the Allegheny Plateau via 322, it gets increasingly more wintry over each successive mountain ridge.

1st Change: Slight change as you work your way up the hills from Harrisburg to Lewistown.

2nd Change: Seven Mountains (Ridge past Milroy)

3rd Change: The ridges around Tussey and between Centre Hall and Pleasant Gap

4th Change: The ridge that runs between State College and Port Matilda

5th Change: The ridge between Port Matilda and Philipsburg - runs to the NE to the Snowshoe area on 80.

6th Change: The Woodland area before Clearfield - always snowier

7th and BIGGEST change: Clearfield Mountain between Clearfield and DuBois. (The Rockton area.) Over 2,000 feet in elevation - HUGE microclimate (in all times of the year) that I spent years driving through. Lots of ice storms and heavier snow there - Thunderstorms were always way worse as well (hail storms common). I actually worked on top of that mountain and it snowed an inch in the 3rd week of JUNE.

Great post. I also went to Penn State and have friends with a cabin in Julian, just north of Port Matilda. This is all spot on. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Great post. I also went to Penn State and have friends with a cabin in Julian, just north of Port Matilda. This is all spot on. 

Thanks. That's a nice area! It tends to be the last area to get the consistent lake effect snow showers before the elevation dropoff of the Nittany Valley. Then those ridges to the SE tend to squeeze out what little is left. As you know, State College can occasionally get them...but I remember many times in State College being excited as a band was moving in, only to watch it fall apart on radar once past Port Matilda and Milesburg.

HEY EVERYONE LET’S TALK MORE ABOUT HOW THE LSV IS BASICALLY ROANOKE AND ANYWHERE NORTH OF STATE COLLEGE IS VAIL THAT MAKES US ALL FEEL LIKE WINNERS YAY SNOW 

fgdjdbdusbsdjdgdgsdyfhcdkcsmscycsjddhdchd shsjs 

Sorry had to stand outside for 10 mins and other than the sun burning my retinas and the wind blowing through my body it looks like a desert here now. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Thanks. That's a nice area! It tends to be the last area to get the consistent lake effect snow showers before the elevation dropoff of the Nittany Valley. Then those ridges to the SE tend to squeeze out what little is left. As you know, State College can occasionally get them...but I remember many times in State College being excited as a band was moving in, only to watch it fall apart on radar once past Port Matilda and Milesburg.

Oh yeah don’t I know it.  It can be a cruel game watching those streamers dry up over the mountains. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canderson said:

HEY EVERYONE LET’S TALK MORE ABOUT HOW THE LSV IS BASICALLY ROANOKE AND ANYWHERE NORTH OF STATE COLLEGE IS VAIL THAT MAKES US ALL FEEL LIKE WINNERS YAY SNOW 

fgdjdbdusbsdjdgdgsdyfhcdkcsmscycsjddhdchd shsjs 

Sorry had to stand outside for 10 mins and other than the sun burning my retinas and the wind blowing through my body it looks like a desert here now. 

Feel better?

Well, the LSV basically IS like that. lol... I HATE the climate of that area...hence one of the reasons I moved.

I posted the GFS QPF map hoping people would remember 5 days ago when I believe the GFS showed 30”+ of snow for the LSV. It’s apparent in this type of environment that outside of a few days those forecasts are trash and one has to actually do some meteorology to figure things out. I’d love someone to do a detail post on teleconnections for days 8-16 and take a risk. At worst the forecast will be no worse than the models and more likely those in here will learn some useful things.

43 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I posted the GFS QPF map hoping people would remember 5 days ago when I believe the GFS showed 30”+ of snow for the LSV. It’s apparent in this type of environment that outside of a few days those forecasts are trash and one has to actually do some meteorology to figure things out. I’d love someone to do a detail post on teleconnections for days 8-16 and take a risk. At worst the forecast will be no worse than the models and more likely those in here will learn some useful things.

One op run is nothing to take serious.   Most here know the difference between fantasy land and a real threat.    

47 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with your assertion as to apparent weather.   Temp forecasting would be harder especially if one is forecasting in a dry regime.    The GFS and Nam also both had many areas of the LSV getting large quantities of ice yesterday....of which most did not come to fruition.

Just now, anotherman said:

I know a solution like the Euro showed is unlikely, but something’s gotta break for us at some point, even if it’s just a moderate event. Maybe this is it.

I sure hope so - last year was a shutout in March, which is fine with me. We're already past the time when I most like snow, so if we're going to get anything of significance I really hope it's soon.