Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2021/2022

Bubbler86

11 minutes ago, paweather said:

Thats why I am moving to North Dakota

Aren't the Dakotas subject to the Chinook winds? I think that phenomena wipes out like 2' of snow in a matter of hours. I'm heading for Mammoth Lakes, CA - 7800' of elevation and they get about 200" of snow in a really bad winter. In 2018 or 2019 they had a snowpack approaching 20'. 

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

Aren't the Dakotas subject to the Chinook winds? I think that phenomena wipes out like 2' of snow in a matter of hours. I'm heading for Mammoth Lakes, CA - 7800' of elevation and they get about 200" of snow in a really bad winter. In 2018 or 2019 they had a snowpack approaching 20'. 

That is a good idea I'm changing plans headed to Mommoth Lakes

2 minutes ago, paweather said:

That is a good idea I'm changing plans headed to Mommoth Lakes

You and @Mount Joy Snowmanwill appreciate this regarding Chinook winds:

"Chinook winds caused the greatest 24-hour temperature change ever recorded, occurring on 15 January 1972, in Loma, Montana; the temperature rose from −48 to 49, an increase of 103 degrees."

That happened in 1 day. 

Edit: I think Wikipedia, or the source is wrong...that's not a 103 degree change. LOL

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

"Chinook winds caused the greatest 24-hour temperature change ever recorded, occurring on 15 January 1972, in Loma, Montana; the temperature rose from −48 to 49, an increase of 103 degrees."

That happened in 1 day. 

Edit: I think Wikipedia, or the source is wrong...that's not a 103 degree change. LOL

Yes, and also this:

The Black Hills of South Dakota are home to the world's fastest recorded rise in temperature. On 22 January 1943, at about 7:30 am mst, the temperature in Spearfish, South Dakota, was −4 °F (−20 °C). The interior Chinook kicked in, and two minutes later, the temperature was 45 °F (7 °C). The 49 °F (27 °C) rise set a world record, yet to be exceeded. By 9:00 am, the temperature had risen to 54 °F (12 °C). Suddenly, the Chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to −4 °F (−20 °C). The 58 °F (32 °C) drop took only 27 minutes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That happened in 1 day. 

I do appreciate that!

8 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I love checking in on the snow reports from various resorts through the Sierra-Nevada.  Just amazing the totals they can see out there some seasons.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Yes, and also this:

The Black Hills of South Dakota are home to the world's fastest recorded rise in temperature. On 22 January 1943, at about 7:30 am mst, the temperature in Spearfish, South Dakota, was −4 °F (−20 °C). The interior Chinook kicked in, and two minutes later, the temperature was 45 °F (7 °C). The 49 °F (27 °C) rise set a world record, yet to be exceeded. By 9:00 am, the temperature had risen to 54 °F (12 °C). Suddenly, the Chinook died down and the temperature tumbled back to −4 °F (−20 °C). The 58 °F (32 °C) drop took only 27 minutes.

Let's put this is perspective - it takes 2 minutes for some of us to walk to our mailbox, get the mail, and walk back to our home. Imagine walking out the door and it's 4 below zero. By the time you re-enter your home, it's 45. 

How crazy is that???

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I do appreciate that!

I love checking in on the snow reports from various resorts through the Sierra-Nevada.  Just amazing the totals they can see out there some seasons.

3 year plan - wife and I will be vacationing in Mammoth Lakes in summer 2024. Eyes open to returning at some point later for a longer stay. Not sure how to define "longer" at this point.

I've been working towards this trip for a long time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

3 year plan - wife and I will be vacationing in Mammoth Lakes in summer 2024. Eyes open to returning at some point later for a longer stay. Not sure how to define "longer" at this point.

I've been working towards this trip for a long time. 

Go in the winter for the snow!

Mammoth next 6 days: (Expecting an additional 5' to the 6' they got last week)

Wednesday
Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Breezy, with a southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog before 2am. Low around 26. Windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. Very windy, with a southwest wind 35 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Windy, with a southwest wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
Friday
A 40 percent chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 22. Windy. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Friday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Breezy.
Christmas Day
Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Breezy.
Saturday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Windy.
Sunday
A chance of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Partly sunny, with a high near 17. Windy.
Sunday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. Breezy.
Monday
A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 17. Breezy.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Mammoth next 6 days: (Expecting an additional 5' to the 6' they got last week)

Wednesday
Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Breezy, with a southwest wind 20 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog before 2am. Low around 26. Windy, with a southwest wind 25 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.
Thursday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 30. Very windy, with a southwest wind 35 to 40 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. Windy, with a southwest wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.
Friday
A 40 percent chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 22. Windy. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Friday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Breezy.
Christmas Day
Snow likely. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 19. Breezy.
Saturday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. Windy.
Sunday
A chance of snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Partly sunny, with a high near 17. Windy.
Sunday Night
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. Breezy.
Monday
A chance of snow. Partly sunny, with a high near 17. Breezy.

That is awesome!

3 minutes ago, paweather said:

Go in the winter for the snow!

We're going for our first time Memorial Day weekend. Many years (but not all) there is still significant snow on the mountain at that time. 2 years ago they skied until August 6th. The objectives of our trip would not be satisfied going in the winter, this time should provide good weather and still see snow. 

The cost of living in Mammoth Lakes - yeah, I do okay at work but not nearly that okay. :) But if we like it on our visit we'll likely consider making trips out there the same way that people around here flock to FL during the winter months. I could definitely see some extended vacations in our future. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We're going for our first time Memorial Day weekend. Many years (but not all) there is still significant snow on the mountain at that time. 2 years ago they skied until August 6th. The objectives of our trip would not be satisfied going in the winter, this time should provide good weather and still see snow. 

The cost of living in Mammoth Lakes - yeah, I do okay at work but not nearly that okay. :) But if we like it on our visit we'll likely consider making trips out there the same way that people around here flock to FL during the winter months. I could definitely see some extended vacations in our future. 

Can't wait to hear about it. 

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

GFS ensemble has caved to have the positive height anomalies through the end of its run.

E406CD46-3298-4E70-88C4-62A9E056BFAF.jpeg.1c7aba006ab9a422ee3728ccb86ea523.jpeg

Bridging the -NAO and the SE Ridge.... Gah...That won't help in getting the cold air in here. Part of me thinks we just need to move the NAO out...allow the blazing heat in and get something moving....reshuffle things.

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Bridging the -NAO and the SE Ridge.... Gah...That won't help in getting the cold air in here. Part of me thinks we just need to move the NAO out...allow the blazing heat in and get something moving....reshuffle things.

We definitely need a reshuffle I thought it was happening next week. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

40 for the high today 

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

43 here so not too far off.  It was not shorts weather that is for sure.  That is part of the BS in this current pattern.  Too warm to snow (too dry as well) but mostly too cold to enjoy. 

It was 43 here today as well. The low bottomed out at 17.6F this morning, which was considerably lower than CTP's forecast of 25F.